Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Exploding numbers of resort skinners!?!?!?!?!?
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:58 am 

Seems the hot thing to do is drive your Audi up from Boulder, break out the split or high $$$$ AT racing skis and skin right up the guts of every main thoroughfare run you can find. I am not quite sure that I understand this and pretty sure no one could explain it to me logically. Arapahoe Basin Ski is one of a number of Colorado resorts that is taking action and writing a policy/rules for resort skinning on the property that they control. I have talked with a few of these knuckle head skinners and the response is usually along the lines of go **** youself. These are the same knuckleheads that insist on riding three abreast on their 10K Pinerallos on narrow high country roads on a Saturday, the variables are eventually going to stack up against you and you are going to lose, badly! What is so hard about understanding that your on the freeway going the complete opposite direction of EVERY other person on the mountain, common sense should dictate that you get the hell out of the way, stay on the side of the trail, or better yet, go to the backcountry where you belong, or get you clock cleaned by and out of control beginner. Sorry about the rant, feel free to chime in. Think Snow!

Post subject: Re: Exploding numbers of resort skinners!?!?!?!?!?
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:19 pm 

:scratch: well... :scratch:

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:58 pm 

:scratch: I skin at Brighton when the avy danger is high... :scratch: whats your point? it seems pretty safe with me. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :?

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:47 am 

Sounds like the perfect place for them.

I support everyone skinning in bounds, you'll get the highest numbers on your little altimeter watch, hard snow and microbrews available!-almost as cool as the alps!, you don't have to worry about the snowpack, and everyone can check out your amazing purchasing power. :clap:

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:54 am 

I'm surprised resorts allow this during hours of operations. I've never even seen it before, but I thought that It's been discussed on this forum and the consensus was most resorts would tell you to take a hike! :lol: :lol:
Ahh, only 6 more months till Winter! :clap:

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:54 am 

802smuggler wrote:
I'm surprised resorts allow this during hours of operations.
Here in Colorado the resorts are on Forest Service land and are allowed to operate during specific dates in their lease. We are allowed to go anywhere we want, barring private land. You are only paying for a lift ticket. That being said I have never, and probably will never skin up a ski resort.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:35 am 

A-basin is closed, you can skin wherever you want. They instituted the policy to cover their asses liability wise. If you can't avoid a person skinning uphill, you shouldn't be snowboarding.

Personally, I don't skin up during operating hours, but I have a few times this year on full moons or early in the morning, good way to get out and get some exercise without worrying about avy danger.

I think the rise in use this season was due to the fact that the backcountry sucked and avy danger was ridiculous which also coincided with the fact that everyone and their brother has a split or AT setup these days.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:47 am 

I've been hiking and skinning some of the resorts in southern vermont, and have done so while the resorts are open. Here its more mind blowing to see someone who wants to walk uphill at all!
For the most part it needs to be for some reason, like the non-existant backcountry sucks, or I have to work in town but only have an hour or so to be there. If it ever snows the hills get tracked out in the blink of a patrolers eye! Beating patrol to the untracked also means no problems with them. Pass blackout weeks are good fun to skin up the gut and watch the comedy show spill down the hill! You will however get heckeled like never before by those who just don't get it! I've never been told to stop, only once I was told 1 run and done, that's it, no lapping. That also happen to be right after an issue i had just had with some punkass teenagers give me some shit calling me fag! One of them was on a 123 mini! whos gay here? and would you say that to a guy who's hiking up the steepest trail! As far as you guys in much cooler places i see the safety of high avy danger when the bc is hairy, but other then that............. :scratch:

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:58 am 

I do it early in the season before the resorts open and in the spring after the resorts close. Its great to take beginners with you cause then they don't have to worry about tight trees or many rocks (Many resorts pull rocks out of their green and blue runs during the summer to make them smooth).

I think its a great way to get into the sport. Especially when they are extremely fearful of avalanche danger in the backcountry. For some reason they feel more comfortable at a resort, even though it becomes backcountry after closing.

This being said I wouldn't skin up a resort that is open. Dodging people would suck and is dangerous. Their are a lot of crappy skiers and boarders in the world. Especially during tourist season.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:37 pm 

Honestly, a big part of why I wanted to get a splitboard in the first place was to skin up my local ski area on weekdays, either dawn patrol, on my lunch break, or after work. The area is only open Fri-Sun, and this last season many of our best storms hit midweek. I did some bootpacking and snowshoeing but it's just too inefficient. My kids are young, so on the weekends we ride lift served there. Also, my local hill is not a "resort" by any stretch, just a local nonprofit with ancient lifts, and some of the best terrain around. No such thing as lift lines, and it has a very low douchebag quotient. Even the park rats are mostly nice, respectful high school kids.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:01 am 

I skin when ever the chairs are on wind hold on high avy danger days or arn't running for whatever reason. Heavenly always closes their chairs and the split is the best way to get to Killebrew canyon, and drop the the Minden mile. :thumpsup: Not to mention Kirkwood's accessibility on the split. Fudge come to think of it I've used it pretty much at all the Tahoe resorts and at Baker. Shuksan Arm..............

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:27 pm 

I shake me head at the guys in the middle of slope while the lifts are working, but I also skin up in the morning for a work out, or after work for a work out and some easy turns sometimes. Or after the mountain closes, before it opens, etc. Plus if you are hiking you can get to stuff they haven't opened yet.

Its not my favorite thing to do, but it is fun sometimes.

Breckenridge has started having a few races up the hill outside of operating hours, and they were popular enough to make it into a second season. People who live in ski towns are a weird bunch.

Also, A-Basin has the Grind (in good years anyway) where skinner race up and down and all around the mountain. Plus the imperial challenge closing weekend at Breck. Some people just want to train for those races.

Point is, people have fun different ways, let 'em have it. Though it might be wiser to be on the side of the trail.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:13 am 

Leave the Audi out of it. Stupid Boulder.