Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Slipping Pucks
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:32 am 

Whoa, don't go drastic. I had this issue last year. I put *edit: Grip Tape under my pucks and gaskets, and that worked pretty well, but still a little shifting. I thought about drilling into the pucks too, as been mentioned here. But, I fixed it very simply.

I found that regular snowboard screws and washers DO NOT WORK. I went to Venture and Klem gave me the actual screws to be used for the pucks. They are just slightly larger head that fits with the pucks. Put them on with some loctite (and gaskets) and no movement again. Such a simple thing.

I'd say try that, better then messing up your board for a simple thing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:35 am 

summersgone wrote:
Whoa, don't go drastic. I had this issue last year. I put sandpaper under my pucks and gaskets, and that worked pretty well, but still a little shifting. I thought about drilling into the pucks too, as been mentioned here. But, I fixed it very simply.

I found that regular snowboard screws and washers DO NOT WORK. I went to Venture and Klem gave me the actual screws to be used for the pucks. They are just slightly larger head that fits with the pucks. Put them on with some loctite (and gaskets) and no movement again. Such a simple thing.

I'd say try that, better then messing up your board for a simple thing.

Jason's sandpaper idea made me think of an EZ solution. Put some grip tape on the bottom of the pucks.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:44 am 

Yes, its still before 9 my time, I meant Grip Tape.

My pucks shifted every tour. And doing the grip tape made it switch to every 5-6 tours having to reset a bit. No complete fix. The only thing that worked was the new screws. 10 tours later on it, still no shifting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:56 pm 

Perhaps over-kill, but Firstlight's pucks would really well for your kite-boarding application and not slip, reason why is the pucks are drilled holes not slotted, Right??

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:59 am 

Quote:
I found that regular snowboard screws and washers DO NOT WORK. I went to Venture and Klem gave me the actual screws to be used for the pucks

I looked at the screws in both my splits & the heads are as big as the slots allow. So I stopped at the local hardware store & bought 1/4" external tooth lock washers. They didn't have metric washers of the same style. I seriously think this is gonna work. They are thin enough that plenty of screw is still threaded into the board insert for plenty or torque. They fit the M-6 screw heads perfectly & I think the serrated teeth biting into the plastic should offer enough friction to prevent the pucks from slipping. I'm going to give them a 4 day test this weekend. I think external tooth washers will work better than internal tooth because it forces more of the serrated surface into the plastic. Still used blue threadlocker when I re-inserted them also. Once again - when unscrewing the slipped pucks - it didn't feel like the screws themslves had loosened at all - they'd just been pounded back & become sloppy in the binding interface.

If this fails I guess its Barrows' plan next.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:00 am 

If you're not sure what I mean by these washers they look exactly like the tools icon in the upper right corner of every computer screen.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:06 am 

Serrated lock washer wont help the way you think; and may very well chew the puck and wear them out sooner.
The washers are just needed for spacing and will give you tension on the screw. They will also make sure the screws are not bottoming out in the insert. You wanted flat smooth washers that will sit flush to the bottom of the screw and fit inside the slot, preferably with the same outside diameter as the bass of the screw & slot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:56 am 

Since putting in the ex. Tooth washers - so far no slippage. Several days normal splitting + several days kiting. So far, so good!