Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Do you switch your board halves when hiking?

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Do you switch your board halves when hiking?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:51 am 

leonmajor wrote:
If I don't switch the board halves I am constantly catching the tips together. I find it a much more fluid movement when they are pointing away from each other.

Interesting point,
the bindings are mounted in the middle of the narrow waist of the board, so when you switch your halves you have to walk wider not catching the tips than if you don't switch because of the increased width of tip and tail over the waist which is in switched position pointing inwards. So you should catch your tips more in switched mode :scratch:
Is the deeper snow "pushing" the tips together because the curvature of the tip is on outside when not switched? And if you switch it is doing the opposite? Could this be the reason? As I mentioned I did not have much deep snow hikes yet :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:01 am 

FloImSchnee wrote:
websherpa wrote:
My both sets of clips knock against each other and my bindings when the straight edge is on the inside.

Karakoram or Voilé?
The Voilé-Clips/Hooks can be turned not to interfere.
The K-Clips however will hinder one from having the straight edges inside, as they reach out over the edge.

FlolmSchnee I have the Burton Yin-yangs which reach out over the edge approx. 4mm and I don't have any problems having them on the inside while hiking... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:25 pm 

Quote:
the bindings are mounted in the middle of the narrow waist of the board, so when you switch your halves you have to walk wider not catching the tips than if you don't switch because of the increased width of tip and tail over the waist which is in switched position pointing inwards. So you should catch your tips more in switched mode

Huh? I would think the opposite. actually, nothing you stated here makes sense to me.

fade - is your english good? maybe its a language issue or my interpretation of what you're trying to say.

i think it is better to have the straight edge on the upper ski. if you blow the lower ski you still have the upper one catching you and you can stair step way easier. i always dig in with my upper ski on icy traverses.

to each his own, but i'd try switching them and see if it works better for you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:29 pm 

leonmajor wrote:
If I don't switch the board halves I am constantly catching the tips together. I find it a much more fluid movement when they are pointing away from each other.

+1
My take on this is that with the tips out you can actually overlap the skis while you walk without making contact, the lower profile of the outside edge allows this to happen. I've noticed this while I'm walking, the wider nose of one ski will nestle (for lack of a better word) into the waist of the other.

Also I find that if I but the tips in than I end up kicking my bindings, having to wide my gate slightly to accommodate tips out prevents this from happening.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:32 pm 

i could see how someone could have a preference on what leg they prefer to hold (lower vs. upper).

But, regardless of that, wouldn't the straight inside edge hold/traverse better than the outside curved edge? :scratch:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:43 pm 

powderjunkie wrote:
Huh? I would think the opposite. actually, nothing you stated here makes sense to me.

fade - is your english good? maybe its a language issue or my interpretation of what you're trying to say.

Well at least I think my english is quite good :)
What I was trying to say is that if you don't switch the board halves, the width of your stance (w) if you want the skis to be (z) apart from each other is w=2*x/2+z as the touring brackets are mounted in the middle of the waist on each half

When you switch your halves, and preserve the (z) value, the width of your stance has to be w=2*(x/2+y)+z
which means 2*y wider

If you preserve the stance width (w), than in switched mode the nearest points on tip and tail of the halves will be 2*y closer to each other than the straight edges in non switched mode so physically you should step more often with one half on another while hiking up.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:06 pm 

ahh, gotcha. OCD would love that diagram and formulas.

but, i think that is irrelevant because if you switch boards, you don't have any issues with hitting tips, because the tips are on the outside of each ski.

exactly what peacefrog said -
Quote:
My take on this is that with the tips out you can actually overlap the skis while you walk without making contact, the lower profile of the outside edge allows this to happen. I've noticed this while I'm walking, the wider nose of one ski will nestle (for lack of a better word) into the waist of the other.

this actually helps with breaking trail or widening a ski up track, IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:06 am 

powderjunkie wrote:
i could see how someone could have a preference on what leg they prefer to hold (lower vs. upper).

But, regardless of that, wouldn't the straight inside edge hold/traverse better than the outside curved edge? :scratch:

No. The whole purpose for sidecut is to allow for more edge control. Without sidecut, all of your weight is concentrated on the 30 or so centimeters of edge directly under your boot. But with sidecut, the ski bends to conform to the slope, and your weight is spread out across the entire 160 centimeters of edge on your board, thus allowing the entire edge to hold you to the slope.

It may be difficult for long-time boarders to understand, but those of us who grew up skiing remember the invention of the 'parabolic' ski in the early nineties that pretty much changed the world of resort skiing and made icy slopes much safer to ski on.

Check out my writings: http://www.adamlreiner.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:27 am 

dude_reino wrote:
powderjunkie wrote:

No. The whole purpose for sidecut is to allow for more edge control. Without sidecut, all of your weight is concentrated on the 30 or so centimeters of edge directly under your boot. But with sidecut, the ski bends to conform to the slope, and your weight is spread out across the entire 160 centimeters of edge on your board, thus allowing the entire edge to hold you to the slope.

It may be difficult for long-time boarders to understand, but those of us who grew up skiing remember the invention of the 'parabolic' ski in the early nineties that pretty much changed the world of resort skiing and made icy slopes much safer to ski on.

i think this is BS. Only point i see in a side cut is for turning. My inside edge slides out much less than my out side edge skining. A curved edge will never bight as hard as a straight edge. Yet i still havnt tried skining with straite edges in the middle.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:47 am 

dude_reino wrote:

As a former skier who used to ski on the straight skis like 15 years ago I agree with this, but however this only applies in the movement going downhill where the curvature and protruding wider parts of tip and tail cut into the surface better when inclined in carving a curve.
But as of what I observed when traversing icy or hard surface the curved edge slips more than the straight. Obviously it is better in a standing/hiking position to put higher pressure on shorter part of the edge which will bite better into the hard surface than distribute the pressure along the whole effective edge.
As I use my lower leg for main support I like much more the straight edge on the inside.

My friends who are not so good in skiing and therefore can't take the advantage of a curved edge on a ski because they don't have enough speed going downhill and they don't carve the turns, they always complain about carving skis to be more slippery on ice and with worse edge hold than old traditional straight ski. I think this supports my theory that curved outside edge is good when cutting at incline and in speed into the surface, but not in standing or slow sliding.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:51 am 

powderjunkie wrote:
ahh, gotcha. OCD would love that diagram and formulas.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

powderjunkie wrote:
but, i think that is irrelevant because if you switch boards, you don't have any issues with hitting tips, because the tips are on the outside of each ski.

Yes, but you are hitting the widest curved parts of tip an tail (where the effective edge ends) because they are now 2*y closer than the straight edges :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:31 am 

I thought skis had radius so they could turn like snowboards?

Straight on the outside for skinning.

Steep side hilling. I dont want my upper foot losing an edge and taking out my lower foot. Much easier to spot your lower fooot with a ski pole.
And as its common belief, less radius equals better edge hole in steep and firm. Think of it as a self belay. Would you do that on your downhill side? Most confident point of contact should be uphill.

Existing ski skin tracks will narrow your gate to the point that your bindins are constantly bumping and catching if you do straight side in.

And as also pointed out, the point part of your board will catch on your skins tip clip. As they pass each other.You will face plant, and maybe damage your board. With the curved edges in, them clips come nowhere near each other

Thats my personal experiance anyhow. I've done all of the above and now refer to the straight sides in as "skis on the wrong foot".out

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:37 am 

I switch my halves. It works better that way. Not gonna give you any equations or fancy diagrams, but I've been on splits for about 8 years now, and I'd like to think that I know what I'm doing. If you need extra grip side hilling, throw on some crampons. This ain't rocket surgery people!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next