Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winter Camping from a Vehicle
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:45 pm 

Hey Guys
I plan to do a lot of Splitting using my vehicle as my base this winter and wondered if you have any tips/feedback/ideas to make it that much easier. I've got a panel van which is big enough for a double matters in the back. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Will be the first time I've used a vehicle for this purpose.
Thanks
Martin

Never Summer Snow Trooper 156

Post subject: Re: Winter Camping from a Vehicle
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:02 am 

I'm a newbie at this too, although I've spend a few nights in cars snowboarding before. But I've started building a small car a few weeks ago and have tested it a bit. I've used losts of Armacell insulation. You can probably find a similar closed cell insulation cheap in the US. Covered all the bare metal inside the car with it, floor, and the insides of doors too. Panel vans have thin walls, so to me this was essential. It also helps with making the car less noisy. Turns out this stuff is really a lot like the camping matress material, but thicker and more comfortable. So I've used it for the beds too, it's really warm to sleep on! I think a regular matress will get wet and is not rellly suited for camping.

My car doesn't have a heating system or anything in it, so insulated everything instead. A bigger van will also be harder to stay warm in than a small hatchback or something.

Get some kind of curtain to close of the cargo space from the cabin, or you'll be scraping ice of the inside of your windows in the morning. Crack a window open to get a bit of ventilation. I use a small strip of waterproof tent cotton to prevent snow and wind blowing in, attach with magnets.

I'll post a picture of the inside as soon as I can find my camera again... Image

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:32 am 

2 months in japan and a week in iceland last winter from a rental hatchback.
its basically luxury winter camping.
slept on my exped downmat every day, sleeping bag, stove.
pee bottle is probably the most important piece of kit.
hot water ready to go in a thermos is pretty good idea to get your morning meal/coffee going.
remember to park on a flat hill so you sleep well.
theres not much to it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:04 pm 

Try cutting cardboard to fit in the windows. Look for double wall closed cell like from a refrigerator packing box. And I found a heater blanket that plugs into the car 12v socket.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:08 pm 

To set up properly for a whole season you want to add a second battery that is isolated through a VSR. Google it. Its a must have.
Run all your accessories off the second battery, even if you run it dead flat your car will still start.
Carry jumper leads, shovel and a recovery strap.
Buy a nice big gas burner for cooking, dont rely on jetboils etc, they are too small to rely on for a season. Cook real meals ;)
Take a bucket with your toiletries in it, a whores bath can make you feel like a human again ;)
A cheap synthietic chamois is good for wiping away condensation in the morning.
A hot engine is good for drying stuff out
Keep a full tank of fuel, it could save your life in a massive blizzard.
Antifreeze!!!
Keep a window cracked when you are inside, a bit of 2" tape in the door frame can stop snow blowing straight in the window

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:32 pm 

swanny wrote:
Try cutting cardboard to fit in the windows. Look for double wall closed cell like from a refrigerator packing box. And I found a heater blanket that plugs into the car 12v socket.

Even better is reflextix, a tin foil bubble wrap kinda insulation found at Lowes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:52 pm 

First trip of the season is done, few nights in the car at blow freezing temperatures. It doesn't get that cold if the car is somewhat insulated.

It's not so bad. I can go from driving to sleeping in about 5 minutes, without even getting out of the car. the bed rests on the front seat and half of it comes out when driving. Image

I was in an old thin summer sleeping bag, and typically woke up at 4:30 because of the cold. Start the engine (diesel) and heater and 15 minutes later the car is completey hot inside again. May have to fabricate a remote start button though.. Also nice to wake up and get dressed in a warm car.
I bet with any kind of cheap winterbag it would be very warm indeed. Also not much moisture because of the heater being on, this works pretty well.
You'll lose most of your heat through the windows, so a simple curtain or some bubblewrap will go a long way.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:34 am 

Roof box goes a long way for me, just throw all your riding stuff up there then you don't have it floating around your car in a mess at night when you're trying to sleep in there.

+1 for big dual burner stove.

Yeah for the mobile splitting lifestyle it doesn't get any better or easier than sleeping in your rig.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:21 am 

http://www.nationalmarineproducts.com/DRI_Z_AIR_Dehumidifier_Unit_p/16133.htm

Used this stuff in the camper.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:58 pm 

Jefe009 wrote:
Roof box goes a long way for me, just throw all your riding stuff up there then you don't have it floating around your car in a mess at night when you're trying to sleep in there.

Yeah for the mobile splitting lifestyle it doesn't get any better or easier than sleeping in your rig.

Re "big dual burner stove" just be careful cooking or trying to heat with gas in a confined space that you have heaps of ventilation, otherwise it can be a pretty nasty outcome if the CO gets you..... there have been plenty of cases where people have just nodded off when the CO gas got to them and nailed them........ I'm really not sure if I would do that at all without all windows and doors open. I'd go with the warm sleeping bag !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:46 pm 

Good point! I would never use a stove in an enclosed space, I use mine on the tailgate when I'm standing out back.

Yeah don't kill yourself by using the stove in your car with no ventilation. :lol: :scratch:

Also, better to have a sleeping bag that's too warm than not warm enough. You can always open it up to cool down, but it's a long long night when you're not sleeping cuz it's too cold.

splitn2 wrote:
Jefe009 wrote:

Re "big dual burner stove" just be careful cooking or trying to heat with gas in a confined space that you have heaps of ventilation, otherwise it can be a pretty nasty outcome if the CO gets you..... there have been plenty of cases where people have just nodded off when the CO gas got to them and nailed them........ I'm really not sure if I would do that at all without all windows and doors open. I'd go with the warm sleeping bag !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:38 am 

Sweet rig ieism!

Combo of the reflectix and a buddy or catalytic propane heater work pretty well in my camper all winter. Just make sure you vent well as I believe they typically deplete the o2 and/or produce co2 as a byproduct as has been said. This also helps minimize condensation inside the rig which can be typical in an enclosed space.

A quality pee jug is of course critical :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:47 am 

Great timing! Setting up my new rig this month for winter. I keep a truck for 10 years and then go get a new one. Last July I traded in the old horse ( 2003 Sierra) for the new mount ( 2014 Silverado) . Now Im getting tires, camper shell, rack ect.
Im trying to figure out the bed situation. My previous rig had a full size mattress. Nice for sleeping but only left 2 feet to get dressed in. Thinking about only using half the bed this season with a twin matress. That will allow for my legs to hang down which should be much easier to get dressed in.
Will have a rooftop thule box on it to so when its time to go from Town to trail I can carry four with gear in complete comfort.

Mark, what heater do you use? I guess you keep the windows cracked eh?