Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Backcountry Spooky Stories
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:36 am 

So, I was listening to a dirt bag diary podcast on backcountry spook stories my freind and fellow splitter boardrider247 introduced me to this weekend. It got me to thinking. If these people had these experiences...what "spooky" occurrences have happened to us splitters while out in the backcountry. And, I mean any type of backcountry experience...whether it be climbing, camping, fishing, touring...etc..etc. I'm not talking about almost falling, or your partner forgetting the weed. I'm talking about something happening to you, or your group that sends a shiver down your spine. Share your stories... Allow me to start the topic. I call this story in honor of the Trailer Park Boys..."GaaaaawDamn Samsquatch" (true story)

So, over the years SnowSavage/JVL and I have talked alot about hunter gathering, and simply trying to adopt indigenous people's ways of living into our own. With this I was lucky that JVL had to come to Wisconsin to visit his grandfather. So, I set in to motion to take JVL back to a cool little lake in the BWCA. To top that off... the area we were going to is part of the "Primitive Management Area" of the BWCA. This means everything is allowed to go back to the wild. On our way to our camp we did some foraging, and JVL pointed out a bunch of cool plants, and their uses. A bunch I'd seen around, but didn't know the specifics. We got to camp, used flint and steel to start our fire, and tended to some leech issues with pine pitch. It was a great day followed by a typical evening attack by MN BWCA mosquitos. Even JVL was suprised at how many there were... especially seeing he'd lived in Fairbanks for some time. The next day was more of the same fishing, scouting around, swimming, and just relaxing. Getting close to evening JVL and I were doing some camp chores when across the lake about 150 to 200 yds we hear the loudest most bone chilling "howl" that I've ever heard, and never want to hear again. Imagine a 7' tall if not bigger LARGE man getting a 30 pound rock smashed on his toe, and the sound that would make. Whatever this was... it had huuuuuuuuuge lungs. JVL and I stopped dead silent, and the 1st thing that went through my head was. "There's noooo effin' way that's an animal, or a human." There are no trails anywhere near here, and everything between us and the next lake is a 1000 acres plus away of dense dense woods. And the BWCA is dense folks. My 1st reaction is to take out my 40. cal pistol and fire some rounds in the air..."wait I didn't grab my pistol...all I have is my .22 pack gun" which I proceeded to shoot in the air... scared shitless! The worst thing is..We're camping on a skinny peninsula, and we have to spend the night there. Not much more was said, but nothing needed to be said. I spent the night pretty restless sleeping in my hammock. I woke up in the middle of the night to take a piss, and looked over, and I swear I saw the sillouhette of a person 20' away...I yelled at it..."hey...get out of here"..nothing moved, and then I felt stupid knowing I probably woke JVL and scared him while he was sleeping. We woke up the next day... tore down camp, and went to a different site. We didn't talk much about what we heard the next day, and after the trip was done. I was pretty stoked to have finally met the line shredder SnowSavage. When I got home that night I wanted to know what the hell that noise was. I've been camping in the BWCA since I was 11, and never heard anything like that. I got on the computer, and started Googling any and every animal sound I know exists in the BWCA, Fox, Bear, Bobcat, Mountain Lion, Wolf(heard them a million times), Coyote...nothing... and then I decide to find sasquatch sounds... this is the 1st link I clicked on. http://www.bfro.net/AVEVID/MJM/Howl.mp3 I had headphones on to be able to hear the sound perfect. You know that feeling of pure "shock" you get and can feel the nerves in your body electrify..that and I had a goose bumps on every square inch from listening to that.

That's my scary story. I know there is something in the BWCA now, and I won't tell anyone where I heard it. If they really do live there. They were warning us to get the fuck out of there. It wasn't a "howdy greeting"

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

Post subject: Re: Backcountry Spooky Stories
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:50 am 

One of my most scarry times in life was meeting SPLITTRIPPIN in person. Ever seen him? Dude looks like the devil

How ya doin man?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:27 pm 

Cool topic. I got one for you.
One weekday morning this summer I rode the mountain bike at a place called Sleepy Hollow. I set the gps on the phone and packed up the truck and headed out. Before long I was headed down some dirt roads that I had never driven much. 10 to 15 miles on dirt roads is kind of tough to do in this part of the state so I felt pretty out in the cut. I pulled off the dirt road and headed back the private drive to the property. It was impressive. There was a giant wedding hall that felt like something out of the shinning. There was nobody there. Just a sign that said leave your 6 bucks and sign in. I could tell why they call it sleepy hollow. It's just a huge hollow nestled into the mountain side with an old forest climbing to the top and it felt sleepy as hell. I mean I felt like I fell right off the planet and into this place. It just felt spooky from the get go. I had routed out a couple of loops that would put me at an old ski shack at the top of the hollow, probably 3 miles from the truck. Twice before I got to the shack I had these hair raising feelings of somebody behind me. Normally I feel very comfortable and aware in the wilderness. Today was much different. On both occasions I was sitting still having some water and snap! it sounded like somebody stepped on a tree branch behind me. Both times I swung straight around and said what the fk! After some kick ass riding I ended up at the shack and took some pictures of the surrounding peaks. Following is one of the pictures. I've shown this to three people. Two have seen it, one has not. See if you see him. :lol:
Look above the wine bottle.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:04 am 

SPLITRIPPIN wrote:
So, I was listening to a dirt bag diary podcast on backcountry spook stories my freind and fellow splitter boardrider247 introduced me to this weekend. It got me to thinking. If these people had these experiences...what "spooky" occurrences have happened to us splitters while out in the backcountry. And, I mean any type of backcountry experience...whether it be climbing, camping, fishing, touring...etc..etc. I'm not talking about almost falling, or your partner forgetting the weed. I'm talking about something happening to you, or your group that sends a shiver down your spine. Share your stories... Allow me to start the topic. I call this story in honor of the Trailer Park Boys..."GaaaaawDamn Samsquatch" (true story)

So, over the years SnowSavage/JVL and I have talked alot about hunter gathering, and simply trying to adopt indigenous people's ways of living into our own. With this I was lucky that JVL had to come to Wisconsin to visit his grandfather. So, I set in to motion to take JVL back to a cool little lake in the BWCA. To top that off... the area we were going to is part of the "Primitive Management Area" of the BWCA. This means everything is allowed to go back to the wild. On our way to our camp we did some foraging, and JVL pointed out a bunch of cool plants, and their uses. A bunch I'd seen around, but didn't know the specifics. We got to camp, used flint and steel to start our fire, and tended to some leech issues with pine pitch. It was a great day followed by a typical evening attack by MN BWCA mosquitos. Even JVL was suprised at how many there were... especially seeing he'd lived in Fairbanks for some time. The next day was more of the same fishing, scouting around, swimming, and just relaxing. Getting close to evening JVL and I were doing some camp chores when across the lake about 150 to 200 yds we hear the loudest most bone chilling "howl" that I've ever heard, and never want to hear again. Imagine a 7' tall if not bigger LARGE man getting a 30 pound rock smashed on his toe, and the sound that would make. Whatever this was... it had huuuuuuuuuge lungs. JVL and I stopped dead silent, and the 1st thing that went through my head was. "There's noooo effin' way that's an animal, or a human." There are no trails anywhere near here, and everything between us and the next lake is a 1000 acres plus away of dense dense woods. And the BWCA is dense folks. My 1st reaction is to take out my 40. cal pistol and fire some rounds in the air..."wait I didn't grab my pistol...all I have is my .22 pack gun" which I proceeded to shoot in the air... scared shitless! The worst thing is..We're camping on a skinny peninsula, and we have to spend the night there. Not much more was said, but nothing needed to be said. I spent the night pretty restless sleeping in my hammock. I woke up in the middle of the night to take a piss, and looked over, and I swear I saw the sillouhette of a person 20' away...I yelled at it..."hey...get out of here"..nothing moved, and then I felt stupid knowing I probably woke JVL and scared him while he was sleeping. We woke up the next day... tore down camp, and went to a different site. We didn't talk much about what we heard the next day, and after the trip was done. I was pretty stoked to have finally met the line shredder SnowSavage. When I got home that night I wanted to know what the hell that noise was. I've been camping in the BWCA since I was 11, and never heard anything like that. I got on the computer, and started Googling any and every animal sound I know exists in the BWCA, Fox, Bear, Bobcat, Mountain Lion, Wolf(heard them a million times), Coyote...nothing... and then I decide to find sasquatch sounds... this is the 1st link I clicked on. http://www.bfro.net/AVEVID/MJM/Howl.mp3 I had headphones on to be able to hear the sound perfect. You know that feeling of pure "shock" you get and can feel the nerves in your body electrify..that and I had a goose bumps on every square inch from listening to that.

That's my scary story. I know there is something in the BWCA now, and I won't tell anyone where I heard it. If they really do live there. They were warning us to get the fuck out of there. It wasn't a "howdy greeting"

That wasnt a Yeti, that was bones get broke.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:56 am 

Smuggler, is it an upturned face w/ a wide brimmed hat?

HFT...I've heard The San Juans Yeti howl... It's very possible he bread with the San Juans Yeti, and they migrated to da north, eh!

-Luther Standing Bear,

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:58 am 

There was this one time while skinning along a creek with some friends. My fearless dog kololo had run ahead. She didnt get far before she turned and ran back past me. Her hackles where standing high and she had a look of true terrror as she hightailed it to safety... as I looked ahead I seen it. A huge hulking adark figure standing in the trees. A siloutte of a bidepal furry figure.... looming.

I timidly stepped closer as my brain tried to sort out and make sense of the situation... then I realized, it was just splittrippin who had some how made it aound the group and got ahead of us...

...802 smuggler. I see can see it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:13 am 

Yea split I just see the face. Maybe he has a sombrero on maybe I interrupted margarita hour :guinness:
Split sounds like you ran into a female lookin for a mate!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:18 am 

In April of 2011, after a great snow year around these parts, I was skinning by myself up into the Gore Range at about 1pm. It had been snowing off and on all day and the established skin track in this area had been covered up with about 4" of snow so you could see the track, but tell no one had been there all day. After about an hour of skinning up, i noticed these crazy looking fairly fresh tracks come out of the woods to the east and turn to follow the old skin track up the hill. At first i thought it was maybe somone on snowshoes, but they had the biggest stride i had ever seen! Plus where the tracks came from is deeply wooded flat area where there would be no reason for a rider or anyone else to come from. As i skinned up along the tracks i noticed that there were no ski pole marks to go along with the tracks. the Tracks were about the size of a long skinny snowshoe but no cleat marks? After about another half hour following the tracks i came to a kind of bare hill with this old cool looking dead tree. the tracks veered off the skin track back towards the east and to this tree. The tracks then stomped around the tree and then disapeared? the tracks didnt turn around and go back the way they came from and they were just gone? I kind of got spooked and the hair on my neck was standing straight up, like there was something there. So i put my head down and continued onward.

I really have no idea what it was, and make no claims except the unexplained tracks that i saw. I will say that i am now a believer! If it was a violent animal, i would have been easy pray! I wont show people this area, because i dont want people looking for whatever it was.

Dam i love splitboarding!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:33 am 

ale_capone wrote:
I timidly stepped closer as my brain tried to sort out and make sense of the situation... then I realized, it was just splittrippin who had some how made it aound the group and got ahead of us...

Ha nice Ale... I was hopin to sneak up and gaffel TEX's smoke stash...Kololo sounded the alarm.

You know the PNW has a Samsquatch up in them thar hills. I personally think Ale, Kyle and crew's Pickett range shred was in search of Samsquatch, but they decided to shred instead.

great stories all.. keep em coming. 802's actually gave me the shivers when i saw the face.

-Luther Standing Bear,

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:31 pm 

A few years back I was bowhunting solo in a remote southern Oregon drainage. As I slowly stalked a herd of deer, on an adjacent ridge I kept hearing what sounded like someone banging a branch on a tree trunk. The frequency was once every three to five minutes. Being focused on the deer I didn't pay much attention to the noise at first but it continued for hours. It was raining that evening and I couldn't imagine anyone in their right mind would be standing there banging on a tree incessantly. Then again, what's really more likely, a mythical beast or a meth-driven kook?

Eventually I gained the top of a major ridge just as it became dark and clouds dropped low forming a thick fog. At this point it was time to turn back and I had to decide whether to go back the way I came (which was seriously rugged) or take the ridge where I heard the noise. I wasn't too excited about going down the ridge but decided on it as I'd be least likely to get lost in the low visibility. By now the sound had stopped but that didn't make me feel better as I would have preferred knowing where it was coming from. Instead, the woods were damn quiet which didn't help my nerves at all.

My headlamp was reflecting the fog so brightly that it really wasn't that helpful. With visual cues limited to about ten feet, I found myself going off of memory of terrain pitch and little else. I ended up dropping down yet another subridge before realizing my mistake and backtracking. That in itself wasn't a big deal but it did keep me out even later and I really wanted to get back. It also shook my routefinding confidence and for the rest of the time I was out, I never felt 100% certain of where I was.

As I approached the area where I had heard the noises earlier you can imagine I was paying attention. Between already being in the hunting mindset and now being kinda spooked, I think this may have been the clearest I've ever been. I'm not sure at what point I knocked a broadhead but I was ready to let one fly if something (or someone) jumped me.

I was super happy to get back to my cabin and family that night.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:52 pm 

This is sort of off topic.
The guy that took this picture was on our local news. He set up a trail camera to see what was eating his apples.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:58 pm 

I took my wife and daughter camping to Morrow Bay California. We had a nice campsite on the beach about 200 yrds off the high tide line. I got up early and went for a surf. It was foggy, no wind at all and a nice solid 6 foot swell crackin. I had taken a few waves , paddled back outside. The fog was really thick, making visability about 25 yards. I heard seagulls raising hell and saw them diving down for bait fish. Ever see seagulls trailing small ships? The turbulent water causes shad to come up higher than they would like,becoming prey for the seagulls. These gulls were having a field day eating shad like crazy, following something big . As they got closer I noticed whirlpools and a small wake. Then the 2 foot high triangled fin poped up. It wasnt bigfoot, just a really really big white. I prayed for a wave, then for myself.
Then I took the grizzly sighting defense, picked my legs up laid on my board as still as I could.
The fin passed me maybe 20-25 feet away.
I caught the next wave and waited for a few more people to go out and the fog to clear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:01 pm 

This is problably one of the coolest threads to mess around on in the pre-season.

It was about late april of this previous season and my father and I were skinning up under the Collins lift at Alta. One of our ways to score turns before the season ends. When we reached the top of the Collins lift we stopped to reajust skins and drink some water. I stepped out of my board halves and set my pack down. Then I realized that i had set it down in a giagantic foot print. Like two feet in diameter, huge. We tried too take a picture of it but it didn't show up as it was getting dark and our camera sucked. we dismissed it and kept skinning. Then, we noticed another one, and another and another. But the tracks got smaller in size until they were about the size of a (very) very large dog. In fact we spent a lot of time looking at them that the sun had gone down. Again, we dismissed it and transitioned our gear. right before I dropped, the moon came up over the cliff behind us and cat a shadow down into the bowl. call us crazy, but the shadow looked just like a huge, dog like, animal. :shock: :shock: :shock:

*******Update!********

I thought of another one right after I posted the prievious.

So, Again, this spring my father and I were pretty stoked on our new crampons and wanted an oppritunity to try them out. We decided that a two-day assult on Mt. Timpanogus was the thing to do. We mapped our route, packed food and clothes, but no tent. :banghead: On purpose too... :banghead: We were planning to sleep in the hut, you know the one on the side we didn't hike up... :banghead: ...

Anyways, we made some bad choices, started too late, packed two meals and no snacks. This contributed to us getting to the cirque at about midnight. We scambled around with our headlamps for about two hours and then decided we were going to have to do an open bivy in the middle of a scree field, or take the six hour hike back to the car. We chose to setup "camp". The first hour was suprisingly pleasant. Eating our food, drinking our hot chocolate, and settling down in our nice sleeping bags. Then we tried to fall asleep. Not as easy as you would think. As the night progressed, my mind disected the various sound that we heard and mutated them into the sounds of horrible creatures. But then, I saw (something) begin to move down from the cliff edge toward our "camp". The object was about 5' around and made a horrible crashing sound as it moved down the scree field toward us with tremendous speed. Then It stopped, just dead stopped right at the edge of the snow field. It was all I could do to sit in my bag and wait for the exaustion to put me back to sleep. we woke up at sunrise that morning to discover a herd of mountain goats sitting on to of the cliff that the "object" had came from. And in place of the object, a big stupid rock. Those stupid goats had kicked a rock down to us! And it haad almost made me wet myself. I can imagine them laughing at me like those pigs on Angry Birds.

Jeez, I feel stupid

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots