Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anyone getting a pass this year?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:35 pm 

Get an A-basin over an Eldora pass.  If you are a Boulder college kid looking to run the free shuttle up to hit those snow storms that only dump on Eldora, then get an Eldora pass but the pow gets tracked out instantly. 

A-basin can score you all kinds of riding from early season to the last resort open. Inbounds to sidecountry. Pow to yes, fun groomers.   Or even uphill skinning runs. A-basin is the way to go if you are not getting an Epic local or Summit Pass. 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:41 pm 

I've got a pass to Crystal Mt WA. I am self employed, just moved to town last October, only have a couple people to shred with, they usually cant make it out mid week. I don't like going out in the BC alone, Crystal has sidecountry for days, and while I don't like the cut throat vibe of the resorts, you can still get the goods if your on top of your game. I plan on spending much more time in the BC this year but you cant complain about pow laps with a chairlift

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:03 am 

you can consider working at eldora as well. work 20-30 days and get a free pass. i bought the silverton pass this year. $400, unlimited unguided, half off guided, and half off stand-by heli drops. plus 5 days at each a-basin, loveland, and monarch. i think it's only $500 now.

i'm way over keystone and breck. even steamboat and cb i think can be a nuisance to deal with. you can't go wrong with the student eldora pass for $150-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:48 pm 

Go for the pass if you can....the more you ride, the better you ride!

A solid board, no 20-30lb backpack, a fat pow day and a ride up...yup...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:08 pm 

ricorides wrote:

And I really like my little ski area, despite the shitshow that it can be. We have a small town, and a really tight knit ski community. I really love hanging out on the patio after riding, sipping beers, talking to old friends that I only see during ski season, watching the kids and dogs runs around. It's just a great scene.
I wish I could say I'm one of those guys here that is in the b.c. everyday out, but the truth is it just doesn't work for me that way.
My plan this season is to have the splitter and pack in the truck. When the area has gotten tracked out, or if we've had enough of the runs, or if the lines have gotten too long, I'm changing gear and skinning out to the side country, get a run or two, and hitchhike home.

Flagstaff is one of the few places I would willingly move, only been there once but loved it. Your description of Snowbowl sounds a lot like the local hill where I live, it's a great family friendly scene. Always friends, neighbors, and coworkers out with their kids and dogs. Days when the wife and kids tire out early, I just keep riding and have never had a problem catching a ride home. Fifteen minutes from my driveway to the parking lot. We started getting passes when the kids were 3 and 5 and probably will continue until they go off to college, or wherever. They're still pretty young for bc so lift service is the only real way to do much riding without just ditching the family. My 7 year old and I had some very nice days on the hill last year, but he HATES powder, I guess it's hard when you're 55 pounds and 4'6". Our hill is only open Fri-Sun so I will be skinning up solo on midweek powder days for sure before work.
I have toyed with the idea of a mellow yurt trip with the family this season but will probably wait another year until my youngest is a little stronger skier.
Anyway, looking forward to the season...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:15 am 

Maybe it's just me, but I don't waste my money on a resort pass anymore. There is still stuff to do even on the high avy danger days, though limited of course. I bought a Loveland 4 pack a couple of seasons ago and used one day. I've been riding for over 20 years, and may days of trying to be a park rat seem to be well in my rear view. Rust just isn't a problem. On any given day I'd rather be out hiking then dealing with a ski area.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:53 am 

This is something I've been thinking about too, as the sale-price pass days are running out at Bridger Bowl, Big Sky, and Moonlight...

I spent last season sans pass for the first time in years and loved it. Definitely forced me to do lots of map/Google Earth/word-of-mouth research. Thus, I explored a ton of new areas trying to find that perfect combo of big vert & sub 30deg terrain for the generally touchy snowpack we had through much of the winter. Also got to ride a ton of new (to me) and exciting couloirs and steeper faces in Hyalite Canyon as this area had one of the only locker snowpacks in Southwest Montana for a good portion of the winter.

When the season for bigger lines finally rolled around and I got to play in more committing, steeper, and variable terrain again, I didn't feel my lack of resort riding had hindered me much if at all. But besides two years when school took me elsewhere, I have held passes at Jackson or Bridger Bowl since 1997. So I felt like I'd built a pretty solid riding base already...

Interesting topic for sure!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:10 am 

I have not had a pass for 2 seasons now, and won't be getting one again this season. We are a little different here in that most resorts are far away, and the close ones are cheap and generally uncrowded. I generally ride Wolf Creek a few times to get the stoke reignited, then Silverton a few times in Dec/Jan to get the legs fully back, then full on backcountry pretty much the rest of the year. I find that 5ish days I'm back to about 100% of riding ability from the previous year. I end up going to Silverton a few times in April on big powder days, but the passes are so cheap with Wolf Creek and Silverton unguided that justifying a pass doesn't make sense (and Purg, no way). If I was in the front range, I'd probably get a pass, because going for a day is impossible to justify the price, you don't have the access we do, and if I'm driving that far, I want to maximize time on snow. When I was living there I found that I pretty much only got a pass for slackcountry access though, because I am a snob and I hate crossing tracks, as well as I don't like to ride the park.

But nothing beats getting 20 powder laps on a damn good midweek powder day. But those are few and far between, so I'll take a few laps not crossing tracks on a weekend. And if you want more vert, hike faster, or get snowmobiles. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:56 am 

Not having a pass somewhere is unfathomable to me. You can't progress your riding doing nothing but skinning for turns and resort riding is just way too fun and actually very cheap in the "bang for the buck" category.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:19 am 

Yes. $1350 works out to less than $15/day
It's an 11min walk/5 min bike ride to the lift for me. 45min and 4 lifts later I'm up 5000' ft in a glaciated Provincial Park. If its' dumping and the avy danger is high I ride inbounds, and slide on home to within 500' on my front door.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:57 am 

BGnight wrote:
You can't progress your riding doing nothing but skinning for turns

I know quite a few Jackson and Bozeman locals who contradict this statement, Steve Romeo (RIP) being the obvious, shining example. Go visit his site TetonAT.com for some passless shred-progressing stoke. There's also Greg Collins, Brian Harder, and a number of others in this area (nomad on a more local level) pushing personal & sportwide limits without having held a pass for years, decades in some cases.

I definitely see where you're coming from, but maybe your statement should read, "I can't progress my riding doing nothing but skinning for turns". Clearly many people out there can progress without a pass and I will probably continue on that train for the time being.

For me, at this point in my life, it boils down to the premise that every day you ride the resort is a day you're not out touring. I'm a fairly busy student and shred days are sadly limited to weekends and breaks. Thus I would much rather spend my time trucking around the big mountains whatever the conditions may be.

One more thing before I finish my digression (sorry OP!): Many on this thread have said that a pass is sort of like an insurance policy against high-danger days. I certainly subscribed to this idea for the last two years I owned a season pass. For me, those high-danger days actually provide some of the most interesting tours & the learning opportunities should not be underestimated. There's always safe terrain to be found... Finding suitable zones became another fun challenge which grew from ditching resort riding on these types of days.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:53 am 

RogueRider wrote:
Now it's just a matter of which one and how much $$ to spend. Close and cheap, but less terrain (Eldora) or farther, more expensive, with a lot more terrain (A-Basin/Keystone). Just can't wait to do anything on the snow at this point though.

I think you have the most options with the 5 mountain (Colorado pass?) - Vail, Beavercreek, Breck, Key, and A-Basin.

You'll be able to ride Peak 6 before Breck opens it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:57 am 

I haven't had a pass in 8 years but I started mixing a couple resort days into my last few seasons and have had a ton of fun lapping chairs on pow days. I'm likely buying a pass at Brighton this year (as soon as my wife forgets about the new mountain bike I just purchased :mrgreen: ).

I'm a weekend warrior and feel like my skills have suffered a bit since I quite riding at resorts regularly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next