Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone getting a pass this year?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:23 pm 

So last year I bought a season pass (Epic Local - A-Basin, Keystone, Breck, Some Vail/BC) of course it was a bit of a letdown given the snow year. BUT, I also took my Avy Level I, made a splitboard and went splitting about 4-5 times :rock: .

This season I plan to focus my attention on splitboarding as my primary snow activity, but I was wondering if anyone out there still likes to get a pass for those high avy danger days or if you're just feeling off/lazy?

I have a few options, can get an Eldora pass for $150, or a liberty pass to A-Basin/Keystone for $199 (or both I guess). Is it worth it? Which one would you recommend? I have to admit that the drive from the Boulder area up I-70 got old pretty quick last year.

Also, if anyone has any secret or just ridiculous deals they know about (even away from CO/Front Range) let us know.

RR

Post subject: Re: Anyone getting a pass this year?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:14 pm 

Riding backcountry all the time makes you rusty, some will disagree but for the way I want to ride it does. Plus it's nice to bang out a few laps before work or when you are too hung over/tired to skin. Plus, if it's anything like last season (god I hope not) it's hard to find good backcountry riding all the time.

Last few seasons I've gotten the A-basin only pass. Sucked last year but usually it's enough. Full Epic is a little much since I'm really only getting it for the vail days.

If you can do week days, Loveland has a week day pass that is good to have too. Shortest drive from Boulder (besides eldora).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:09 pm 

Get the Epic Local or Summit Value by saving some extra cash by skipping a few nights out.  There is some hidden back bowl stuff at Keystone that I hiked back to last season and scored powder even when it was dry and/or crowded on the frontside. Had to hike back out and skinning would have been much easier. 

If you got bros wanting to hit Breck or Vail or Beaver Creek then get the Epic Local. Even if not, you can score some good inbounds days of powder on the cheap with the Epic Local.

Split it out there in the spring when the avy danger has settled down and the resorts are closed. 

Heck, if you live in ColoRADo, you got to maximize your time on the snow while dodging the crowds. A pass kind of fits in well for that even if you are a splitboarder. 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:31 am 

Take the scenic route and drop tons of cash on a Steamboat pass.... My heart is always in the backcountry but there is nothing like the inbounds pow day.... At Steamboat anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:38 am 

As much as it crushes my soul to do so, I'll probably get a pass this year.

I'm certainly not thrilled about supporting the local developers here in Utah, but my riding skills have plummeted in recent years to the point I view it as a safety issue. My fitness is excellent, but there is no substitute for sport specific training, especially getting in 20-30 full on laps in a day on a regular basis.

Hope everyone has a fantastic season :headbang:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:59 pm 

Yeah I'm getting a pass. (Went up a hundred bucks this season. Fuck. :nononno: )
I'm with the other guys, I think riding consecutive runs keeps riding skills sharp. And I actually like to ride with my wife. She's finally getting to be a decent skier, finally stepping up to the steeps and the pow.
And I really like my little ski area, despite the shitshow that it can be. We have a small town, and a really tight knit ski community. I really love hanging out on the patio after riding, sipping beers, talking to old friends that I only see during ski season, watching the kids and dogs runs around. It's just a great scene.
I wish I could say I'm one of those guys here that is in the b.c. everyday out, but the truth is it just doesn't work for me that way.
My plan this season is to have the splitter and pack in the truck. When the area has gotten tracked out, or if we've had enough of the runs, or if the lines have gotten too long, I'm changing gear and skinning out to the side country, get a run or two, and hitchhike home.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:33 pm 

No. Everything I truly enjoy about snowboarding is just up the skin track a ways.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:34 pm 

If I lived anywhere near a place that had a season pass, I'd be all over it.

Have a great season, folks!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:50 pm 

Not sure if this thread is just about CO season passes but I would like to play.

I renewed my MT Baldy virtual pass for $29 in April (yes that is correct $29) and bought my Mammoth Season pass for $659 in April as well. Since I started BC riding & touring I have realized that a season pass is really not necessary but this year I have reason to celebrate, my wife has her first season pass ever & it’s @ Mammoth. Not too shabby where I’m from. HA-ha

shredgnar wrote:
Riding backcountry all the time makes you rusty

I agree with statement 100%, laps make you an all around better rider but the BC is WAY more fun.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:22 pm 

No pass last season,skinned 6 days a week jan-apr and turned into a f**kin machine,rode so much pow,but i agree with riding some resort,i did that at the end of the season and was working on some airs and grabs,stuff i would'nt risk in BC,so its worth it,not sure where i will be this year and how much riding i will get done.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:49 pm 

i definitely would if i could... but with the time left before snow right now, and some more BC gear to buy, probably not going to happen. so i'll be scammin in the parkin lot again a few times this winter.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:49 am 

Wow, thanks for the advice. I have to say I was expecting more people to be more "purist" or black and white, saying not to get a pass. I think I will end up getting one this season and my main reasons are what you guys said: 1. High Avy Danger days 2. Keeping the skills up 3. Almost an insurance policy if there is no/lack of snow (snowmaking).

Now it's just a matter of which one and how much $$ to spend. Close and cheap, but less terrain (Eldora) or farther, more expensive, with a lot more terrain (A-Basin/Keystone). Just can't wait to do anything on the snow at this point though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:59 am 

RogueRider wrote:
Wow, thanks for the advice. I have to say I was expecting more people to be more "purist" or black and white, saying not to get a pass. I think I will end up getting one this season and my main reasons are what you guys said: 1. High Avy Danger days 2. Keeping the skills up 3. Almost an insurance policy if there is no/lack of snow (snowmaking).

Now it's just a matter of which one and how much $$ to spend. Close and cheap, but less terrain (Eldora) or farther, more expensive, with a lot more terrain (A-Basin/Keystone). Just can't wait to do anything on the snow at this point though.

A-basin also offers a pretty decent selection of stuff to split to as well. The terrain is a lot better than Eldora. I'd say that it's worth the extra few bucks at the end of the day.