Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Splitfests: Past, Present and Future
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:28 am 

I've been ask to help write an article on Splitfests around the world. If you have started a splitfest in your area or planning on starting one this year please send me an email.

jkeffler AT gmail.com

I'd like to highlight various splitfest of the past and provide a brief descriptions of each one. Of course, I'd really like to have a list of upcoming splitfest to help spread the word.

I'm new to setting these things up so I really want to give credit where credit is due but need your help.

Oh, and I only have two weeks to pull all the information together so I can write the article up and get it submitted by the end of September.

Thank You!

Post subject: Re: Splitfests: Past, Present and Future
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:56 am 

keffler wrote:
I really want to give credit where credit is due but need your help.

Good on ya for writing the article and for having the above respect. :thumbsup:

I'll try to get some thoughts to you on the first, second, and third SplitFests ever but anyone else that's been around long enough to have taken part of those fests PLEASE send your thoughts to Keffler too!

1st was in 2005 at Donner Summit
2nd was in the Wasatch
3rd was in Wyoming (Scrubfest)

All the SplitFests since then would have never happened without these ones. :thatrocks:

/respect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:40 am 

I am working with Bogus Basin in Boise Idaho, to host a Splitfest and race. Current sponsors are Jones Snowboards. I should have more details in a few weeks. feel free to e-mail me.

Tearle@eideit.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:32 am 

Don't forget about Saddlebag 2005. No industry folks but definitely a festival. :disco:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:58 am 

I put on a few. Three I think. My memories are a bit clouded

anybody want to refresh ?

I think

2007 - Tioga Pass resort

2008 -Tom's Place

2009 - Convict lake

then Jbay took over and did convict lake in 2010 and 2011

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:39 am 

Right on Eco. That viddy was a blast from the past. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:03 pm 

I've only been to a couple splitfest here in Utah. It seems like the focus was 1.) Education such as assessing snow and mountain travel. 2.) Product development and 3.)FUN. It's where I first met characters like Bob Athey (Wizard of the Wasatch) and Brett Kobernik (Kowboy). Who set the example and made me think differently about my art. I would throw some love to Voile. Love em or hate em. It doesn't matter what dirt bag splitfest it is they are the 1st to step up and show support. Not just by throwing a shirt here or a jacket there but by going full out. I always kind of questioned why since guys wouldn't really return the appreciation. But they still without hesitation would throw down and set the standard for others to follow. I also love how Voile is not afraid to take a political stance to advocate whats best for splitters and support Avalanche centers and Avalanche science. I hope other companies see the importance of these events because it builds the community and provides the opportunity to educate and hook people up with solid partners who share the same passion. Looking forward reading the article.

On a side not I swear at one of splitfest a guy came and pitched his idea for a snowboard. Basically it was bannana shaped board what later became a full rockered board. I kinda laughed at the idea but he swore it rode powder like nothing else. Anyone remember that guy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:41 am 

Quote:
On a side not I swear at one of splitfest a guy came and pitched his idea for a snowboard. Basically it was banana shaped board what later became a full rockered board. I kinda laughed at the idea but he swore it rode powder like nothing else. Anyone remember that guy.
e had some way advanced ideas. Killer ideas. Remember his prototype boot that was a ski boot bottom and a snowboard boot top?
I remember Bret's slide show on the first splitboard. Awesome

I have to agree with you utah. In the early days voile threw out a lot of free gear and went out of the way to get gear/demos out there at these parties. DJ barney was the man

Eco-what ever happened to "Johhny Quesadilla?"

i remember that first greenstone lake party I went to. That was a blast

Im lookingh for links to old eastside splitfests. Are they still here?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:30 am 

Johnny Quesadilla is living in Norway doing polar ice cap research. He was skiing Svalbard before it was cool. Good dude, I see him every couple years now. He's transient by nature so you never know when he'll show up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:36 am 

UTAH wrote:
Anyone remember that guy.

Scooby2 wasnt it? He's still around. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:52 pm 

Yeah that was Scooby2, too much life happening to put the boots together

here's my next 2 cent prediction: In three or four years you'll be riding bc splits that have way more rocker and are stiffer than you'd ever think was possible and you'll be loving it more than you thought you could.

these are those boards I brought in that year:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10058

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:25 pm 

HighJack Alert:
Right on! I actually made that connection a while back but I was such an introvert solo only guy back then I missed out on meeting a lot of cool people like "patroller 420" haha, yeah I went there. I do remember having a great conversation with PJ at the 1st one. It would be really cool to get Scooby, WasatchSurf, Bucky, Snurfer, Kowboy, Singlewhitecaveman, Mar123, Kelly, etc all together for a summertime hike to talk some shit and throw some ideas. I have a great hike I call my oktoberfest hike....all up little down that ends with mass beer at the evil snowbird. Perfect for all you old farts. Some great ideas could be exchanged. By the way Scooby Wasatchsurf(Dan) gives you mad props after riding that day saying you have one of the sickest styles he's ever seen.

I would have just PM you all but I think it's cool to highlight what makes splitboard.com so great. Hooking people up who share the same passion. Take care

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:07 am 

Thanks Utah, If you're interested in tying one of those boards, I have one you could borrow this winter but it has a fixed natural foot stance at my angles 45 and 5. I also have a couple of one piecers for verts with regular 4x4 inserts