Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slackcountry, Sidecountry Thread
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:27 pm 

I've been thinking a lot about resort sidecountry/slackcountry on snowboards and was wondering what the people on this forum thought worked best?....I would love any positive* conversation about the topic, and any gear, techniques, or TRs from anyone.

*note: I don't want to start a thread about how resorts are "evil" or how only "true backcountry" is "cool" just some cool tricks, gear reviews, or photos.

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

Post subject: Re: Slackcountry, Sidecountry Thread
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:34 pm 

Ok, :thatrocks: So, I like to use a solid board for sidecountry riding because it can stand up to the abuse the resort dishes out, I have yet to find a split I can confidently ride inbounds (maybe K-clips change that) :scratch: but This means I only do short hikes from the resort gates, I have found that BD's compactor poles help a lot with sidecountry because then I can put them INSIDE my pack in an attempt not to look like a noob riding the resort with poles strapped to his pack. :nononno:
I am curious about using verts for sidecountry...any thoughts?

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:45 pm 

Being in my position I often have 4-5 splitboards to choose from on any given day vs only 2 solid boards that are worth riding.

Due to this I often ride my splitboards in bounds at the resort, even on non-pow days. Sometimes the lifties trip out or give me shit but I really don't care. Production splits these days ride really well in my opinion (especially with Karakoram clips). :thumbsup:

I think its good for the real show (bc) to be able to ride a split in any and all conditions...its the rider anyway...not the gear! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:01 pm 

I do enjoy when I make laps in the sidecountry and have to ride my board through the resort on my way back to the car. The looks I get hitting rails with the split and a pack is rather comical. At least I did that with my old split until I broke it skinning :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:39 pm 

I guess I interpret side/slack country as using the lift to access the BC. Most the time once the boots in the lines will start getting played out. I like the split so I can hit a line and move on without having to rely on the lift. I can spot a cliff, check the landing and easily split up to it, hit it and move on. It also allows me to get intimate with my playground, maybe pop back into the resort for some nachos and a beer. Beacon, shovel, pack always.

I think you ride Brighton so here's some stoke. Some should look familiar.

This is pretty much sidecountry and soon to be resort.

Not to break the rules but it deserves some conversation. I know your young which makes all the more important cause you represent the future of the snowboard and splitboard culture. It's not that resorts are "evil". They fail to recognize the importance of sidecountry to the snow culture. You represent a natural progression most riders go through where they take their skills honed at the resort to another level by taking them outside the confinement of a resort into the BC. The sidecountry is usually everyone's first experience. Right now in Utah the sidecountry is what's under attack of expansion and it would be sad if these places didn't exist for future generations. You could do a lot by advocating this to your peers. Push resorts to invest in infrastructure, incorporating sustainable methods and compensating their employees like the ski patrol not in expansion at least not in our small range.

More sidecountry stoke

Take care.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:13 pm 

Huh, it was riding slack country that prompted me to build a splitboard. 2 days on slowshoes trying to keep up with skiers was enough to convince me. Haven't ridden my one solid board in about 2 years, in or out of bounds. No complaints either, even on my garage built splits, bombing around resorts on boards with Voile chinese hooks & Sparks, that shit is so dated....

Kicking Horse slack...

Fernie....

Whitewater.... (though these photos were taken in May, after the lifts had stopped turning, so we skinned up from the parking lot)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:54 pm 

Definitely going to try to get in my share of front range Colorado slackcountry and sidecountry along with backcountry jaunts.

Beacon, probe, shovel a must with at least one other person with the same equipment to, if need be, find me and dig me out or the other way round.

Can't wait to push it out of bounds this year with as much knowledge I can stuff into my brain (Avi courses, avi books, free avi talks/classes, on-line prep for conditions, etc.) so me and my brother can manage the risks and score it safely on the other side of the resorts' ropes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:18 am 

I think Utah is on point. Brighton sidecountry is my guilty pleasure; heaps of great splitting to be had back there and a great way to dip your toe into some (kinda) backcountry when you feel ready to stretch your wings. But watch your ass; just because you can see lifts doesn;t mean you aren;t exposed to the exact same hazards you would be anywhere else. My advice would be to take avvy classes as and when they're available, especially the ones in and around Brighton. You'll see the terrain and meet people to ride with who might show you a thing or two.

I'll be honest, it's awesome that you want to get out but your age is going to put people off and you're going to have to try harder to win trust. Be courteous and ultra conservative and let people know you're taking this seriously.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:41 pm 

Yep slackcountry can be great, easy access freshies after the resort is done...(although it usually doesn't last much longer) I buy a pass every year and probably spend an equal time, if not more in the slack than in the resort. I just like the easy ride up.

Pack a beacon, shovel, probe, and know how to use em. An extra pair of goggles, some water and snacks are nice as well. A lot depends on the resort. Some resorts have slackcountry that will just pop you back to the lift with a little work, others to the road, with a walk or a quick hitch hike. Others, your going for a tour in itself, you could end up miles and miles away. Some places you take two cars and park one at the destination as a shuttle back to the resort. There's a run in Tahoe that takes you down to Gardnerville, like 30 miles by car.

My motto is get the easy pickins first, then work for goods, unless there's something you really want to get, and know you gotta work right away before someone else turns it to chopped liver (thats the problem with slackcountry, it's almost the resort.)

You don't always have to skin for hours to get fresh lines all day, or days after, just know the stashes.