Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Utah national parks - 2 weeks in Mid October? Ideas?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:50 am 

Honeymoon time!

Getting married on 6th October, off on honeymoon straight after. After a long time thinking of "normal" honeymoon stuff, the kind of things we don't usually do, we're back on track. It's just a holiday. What do we want to do, and where's good in mid-October?

Hit on US National Parks, with Utah maybe being a better bet for weather in October than Northern California, Wyoming or PNW. That about right??

Thinking a few days somewhere well out of the way doing not a lot, a few days mountainbiking, few days hiking/scrambling, maybe a day climbing for me, and perhaps a few days on a river.

Any ideas about where to base ourselves, who to look up for guiding, accommodation (RV/van?) or kit hire? - travellling from UK, so packing light.

Any hints, tips and facts gratefully received, even (especially?) if you want to point us in a different direction.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Utah national parks - 2 weeks in Mid October? Ideas?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:00 am 

First off, Congrats!
Moab is going to be your best bang for your buck. Concentration of National and State parks and monuments. Colorado river fun, world class mt biking and the La Sal mountains near by for Alpine stoke. All of this not far from I-70. Of course there is Zion, Bryce and Capitol Reef and San Rafael Reef en route as well.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:27 am 

I've got the Narrows in Zion on my short list, looks like October would be good timing:

http://www.utah.com/nationalparks/zion/zion_narrows.htm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:57 pm 

Cheers guys! will look those up. Narrows looks cool, Moab slickrock would be great but moving up from the south. Could work a round trip from Vegas, but a one direction thing would be cool too. Fly back from Denver maybe?

Any other UT tips?

Kind of keen to avoid the tourist trail, but at the same time: hey, we're tourists, popular things tend to be worth a popular for a reason!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:13 am 

The drive from Vegas to ZNP is about 2-3 hrs. At that time of year the Narrow's in ZNP is absolutely epic. If your super fit you can get a permit to do it in a day. Or just go in from the mouth and spend a day exploring. The full through hike would the most ideal cause the colors are amazing. I personally could only spend a few days in Zion unless I was backpacking. The town has a great vibe, good resteraunts, lots of smaller easier hikes, etc. But I would kill one day driving from Zion to Moab. Moab is so much fun with so much to do. For the drive you could go through Escalante over to Capital Reef through Hanksville over to Blanding and up to Moab. I don't think you would have a dull moment on that drive at that time of year. Moab is always touristy but it makes things easy for your situation. If you got the funds you could paddle board or kayak the river one day. Mountain bike another, visit any of the 3 parks, drive around exploring the back roads up through La Sals, climb a 11k peak looking down on the desert, 4 wheel drive, go to the Vineyard for some wine tasting, camp. On and on it's absolutely amazing place. No where like it on earth so I think your making a wise choice that will be a very memorable honeymoon. Negatives would be that everything is super expensive. I'm usually camping dirtbag style and have all my own toys so I'm guessing all this stuff would be expensive. I've never even looked at what the drive from Moab to Denver would be like. I know Silverton is pretty close but I think on to Denver is super long and boring. SLC is 3-4 hrs from Moab though. Hope this helps, let me know if any of this sounds good and I can pm so more detailed info. Congratulations, take care.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:08 pm 

A river rafting trip on the San Juan river would be perfect that time of year. It's a beautiful river to float with lots of interesting geology, archaeology and scenery. The cottonwoods will be changing colors, the temps will be perfect and there won't be many people. Google Wild Rivers Expeditions.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:56 am 

Any of the Utah scenarios would be great. October is the perfect time. For slightly more off the beaten path, consider Capitol Reef NP, Natural bridges, or the San Rafael swell/Goblin Valley area. Maybe a loop around Moab, Monticello, Blanding, Hanksville, Green River, starting in Vegas or SLC. You could easily spend a week in Moab and not get enough. Mind the weather and roads - the dirt roads can get impassable, even w/ 4wd, in an unlikely rainstorm. My advice is don't get too obsessed with figuring out the ultimate route - I have been exploring S Utah for 30 years and find great new stuff every time I go there. It's all good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:30 am 

Right, thanks all, it's all gone in the mix, flying into Vegas next Monday, Jeep-y thing hired, 1st night in a fancy hotel on a last minute deal, then following our noses. Zion Narrows, cathedral valley, Capitol reef, Arches, Moab , mountain biking, and a float on the Colorado river are all on the list.

Might even get round to putting some photos up at some point.

Probably merits one of these: :bananas:

As does getting married in 4 days' time to an amazing, beautiful woman: :bananas:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:19 am 

Bryce is definitely worth a drive in/out just to hit the panoramic points for some pics. :twocents:

Enjoy, sounds like a great trip!

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg