Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Burton Nug Raduction - Latest Marketing Buzzword?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:57 pm 

grubbers wrote:
bcrider wrote:
On the downside, what is it with Burton and their tip/tail clip installations? They are so loose and come open often. :thumbsdown:

That's seriously still an issue?
Yup, that's still an issue.

It's the only complaint I have with the Spliff so far, and was solved by drilling through the plastic clip and tying off a leash attaching to the spare post (a trick posted here by someone wiser, thanks).

So far have only ridden the Spliff inbounds from the lifts (downhill mode) so can comment on that alone but it has been 100% fun and a great improvement overall from the 168 it replaces. I had ridden a Nug here and there over the last two seasons so the "Raduction" was not a surprise to me. I've been riding this on everything including wall rides, slider boxes, icy groomers and fresh woods and it performs well everywhere.

168 cms were appropriate in India where it was always above treeline in big terrain, but in Vermont the trees are two feet apart, maybe. Except for the biggest days the Spliff will do the trick and be so much lighter underfoot or on the back.

The big surprise for me is the Spark Burner bindings I have mounted on the Spliff. The fit, comfort, and durability exceed my expectations and the functionality is top notch. The response between board & binding reminds me off the Bomber bindings I used when I raced GS & SL, absolutely rock solid.

Except for a brief unhappy stint with the Light Rail bindings I have been using Slider Tracks and traditional bindings, so the weight difference, combined with the 20cm drop in length makes for an astonishingly light and playful splitboard setup. The ratchets and ladders on the Light Rail bindings I used before skipped within hours first time out, so I was nervous about buying into Spark bindings, but again I mention their durability has been outstanding.

I'll start skinning this week, so I'll get a grip on the uphill function of the Spliff. Of greater concern are the skins I trimmed down from the 168. The shape of the nose alters the way the skin clip lies on the nose, so the skin doesn't run parallel to the inside edge. It may want to wander off outboard as it goes toward tail. Anyone else see this happening? Also, the tail kick makes me think the skins may need tail clips ASAP. (BTW, these are Voile Tractor Skins).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:24 pm 

About taper, One thing I think you might have overlooked in the Burton line during and just before the FIsh, is/was the Supermodel. The first couple were not tapered, but at least the 3rd run, they had 10mm of taper. 10mm is about what Tom Burt recommends, and from Burton literature, Craig Kelly helped design on the Supermodel.

The forum you were in, and the Words on a page sometimes, might have had you misinterpret JG. Also, if anyone listens to JG speak, you feel he knows a heavy load about board and surf shapes, and seems really passionate and wants to put out a great product.

The sherlock is one of the best resort boards made. Coupling that with the rocker in the middle and two heavy camber spots under your feet ( Never Summer, FlyingV), and you have some rad, ultra surfy turns.

On the NUG, what makes the naag so special is how stiff it is outside your feet.....it is like railing turns on a skateboard in the pipe.

I like Terje's and Dave Downing approach to boards, have a quiver, and don't get locked into doing things only one way.

I saw some hardbooters doing training, as a coach, technique is one thing, but even on the white wave, style is way more important in riding.

barrows wrote:
Unfortunately, the day Craig Kelley died, Burton lost what little credibility they had left at that point as far as the backcountry is concerned. Some of the design ideas of these boards might be relevant for riders on packed snow at small resorts, and concerned with high levels of responsiveness at slow speeds-but hey, this here is Splitboard.Com, right?!!!

"JG is a genius" LOL!

Yeah, some "genius". I remember some years ago, when Burton was still relevant, they had an open forum, where JG would sometimes respond to rider questions on board designs. I made a post suggesting that Burton would do well to experiment with taper for backcountry and freeriding boards. I gave my reasoning as well, well considered reasons which are now well accepted board design truths. "Genius" JG, responded, by completely disagreeing with me, then two season later, Burton introduced the "revolutionary" Fish! Hahahaha.

Innovative designs for the backcountry are coming from smaller builders like Venture, Chimera, and furberg. Big companies like Burton are concerned with the mass market, riding at the resorts, on packed snow, or maybe packed snow with a few inches of pow on top, and marketing rules their decisions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:46 pm 

H.R. Flufnstuf wrote:
grubbers wrote:
bcrider wrote:
On the downside, what is it with Burton and their tip/tail clip installations? They are so loose and come open often. :thumbsdown:

It's the only complaint I have with the Spliff so far, and was solved by drilling through the plastic clip and tying off a leash attaching to the spare post (a trick posted here by someone wiser, thanks).

Your welcome ;) :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:54 pm 

schwalbster wrote:
H.R. Flufnstuf wrote:
grubbers wrote:
bcrider wrote:

Your welcome ;) :thumpsup:
Yeah that's the ticket schwalbster, kudos

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6