Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Burton Nug Raduction - Latest Marketing Buzzword?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:42 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
Then I try to picture myself riding something even smaller.

I just can't do it.

That's what she said! :disco: :lol:

Couldn't help it- sorry! Hahaha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:16 pm 

christoph benells wrote:
bcrider thows in 3 cents.

6 really :) 3x2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:38 pm 

Hey Chris, Happy Birthday Man!

"Barrows, your comments remind me of the late great Steve Jobs. One of the things he was known for was his ability to totally change his opinion on something without looking back. For all we know maybe JG had an epiphany about taper and realized it can be useful in certain shapes. Did you really expect him to go back to the thread you mention to tell someone on the internet they were right?"

No certainly not, neither do I seek validation from JG or anyone else for that matter. I just found it amusing that JG was not willing to consider taper at the time I mentioned it. Anyway, it is not like the idea of taper for a snowboard was revolutionary or anything, the first boards I have ever ridden, back in the 80s, had both taper and rocker.

Not hater, just calling it as I see it. I pointed out the conditions, and the the riders for whom, such a board might work well. For me, anything with a sidecut radius under 9 meters is a non-starter, and I really prefer over at least 10 meters. I have ridden enough boards to know what will work for me, in the backcountry, and I have seen enough from Burton to know who and what they are designing boards for these days: clearly there is a market for the types of boards they are designing, a large market, so, good for them.

I'll say it again though: if one is looking for innovative boards designed to get the most out of backcountry riding the companies who are pushing the limits of board design without compromise are the small ones, not the large companies like Burton who are attempting to make boards which will appeal to a much broader audience of riders.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:20 am 

Nug reduction? What about that Banana Magic shit that let you downsize a board 5cm? Or was it upsize? It's all marketing, and Burton is far from alone in that world. It's how you filter the bullshit.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:23 am 

Barrows, when was the last time that you made a post that did not discuss sidecut radius. I don't know the last time I rode a board with a sidecut radius anywhere near what you suggest. BUT somehow I've been able to slide down many mountains quite proficiently as have many other snowboarders who are better than us. Give it a rest man.

It's funny how any other board manufacturer in the world could come out with a new shape and people would be dry humping the boards, but the evil Burton makes something and people immediately jump on the hater wagon.

You people need to get out and ride, can't wait for snow.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:32 am 

"Barrows, when was the last time that you made a post that did not discuss sidecut radius. I don't know the last time I rode a board with a sidecut radius anywhere near what you suggest. BUT somehow I've been able to slide down many mountains quite proficiently as have many other snowboarders who are better than us. Give it a rest man."

I do not mention sidecut radius in any posts I make which do not pertain to board design :wink:

Any post I make which does pertain to board design will continue to mention sidecut radius, as sidecut radius is a critical element of board design, and most boards are designed wrong (for backcountry riding by experienced riders) in this area.

Everyone should feel free to ride whatever type of board that they want, but I do feel sorry for those who have never ridden a board with a sidecut radius >10 meters in demanding terrain in the backcountry, as doing so might lead to level of understanding about how much compromise in board performance is caused by deep sidecuts.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:54 am 

No hating here and sorry if anyone got butt hurt; As I've consistently said before I don't really care what people choose to ride, but a 148 in the conditions I ride, aint gonna work dudes. Period, end of story...

Like Barrows, I get annoyed when people make and spread outrageous claims. Its my opinion there are some wildly exaggerated claims in this thread when applied to the myriad of back country riding conditions. Particularly where WhitePine and I happen live and ride.

@Chris - from one old dude to another, Happy 40th old man! I'll go back and re-read, but I'm pretty sure no one said anything about swallowtails, nuff said on that. (Sorry if I'm wrongly inferring your post was aimed at me) :guinness:
And for the record p-l-e-a-s-e, no one buy swallowtails, there just aren't enough of them around to satisfy us washed up, close minded, curmudgeons :wink:

Oh yeah and I don't really have a beef with Burton, if it wasn't for Jake well.... - hint "avatar"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:15 am 

At 55 I get to hate all I want & not give a shit any more. The best way to prevent me from trying something is call it nug raduction. I own a business & get marketing and get who Burton's target is. Obviously not me - who cares. Thankfully Venture Never Summer etal are out there for old geezerly haters. I just doubt I'll ever learn to wear my pants below my ass & slide rails. I also doubt I'll ever buy anything Burton ever again but I doubt they care. If you like it - ride that shit.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:53 am 

Fair enough and thanks for the b-day wishes barrows (and snurfer). :)

Re the swallowtail comment. I was just using it as an example that we all have different styles and needs. To each their own.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:10 pm 

lewmt wrote:
At 55 I get to hate all I want & not give a shit any more.

Love it!!! :thumbsup:
I'm only forty but I totally share the same view (having kids young accelerates it). :lol:

lewmt wrote:
The best way to prevent me from trying something is call it nug raduction.

Not that it matters and while it's purely speculation....I'm guessing they named the small board Nug (short for nugget) since its so small and cute....like a little nugget. :doobie:

As for Raduction, again speculating, but it's a play on the word reduction which is part of the downsizing theory that this line is based on. "Rad" is a term the shred sports have used for years and must have been added by the good folks in marketing. :P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:02 pm 

55 and still splitting. Now that's rad. When I'm 55 I'm going to take sandwiches to restaurants and eat them. And then hopefully go for a tour.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:19 am 

lewmt wrote:
Thankfully Venture Never Summer etal are out there for old geezerly haters.

Too funny, I was just now reading the ad copy for the new Rome Double Agent split, "Gone are the days of antiquated splitboard shapes built for grumpy, granola-munching old dudes..."

I won't say who from this forum came to mind, but the sidecut radius on the Double Agent is only 8 meters...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:17 am 

We have the 148 Nug Directional. Rebecca and I have both ridden it in a variety of resort conditions. I am 145 pounds.

There are some good ideas on it, but for me, it is too small and has way too small of a sidecut. If I just rode tight trees in mixed conditions, it would be a fun board. As it is, I just over pressure it. I would love to try one with a big sidecut.

On the other hand, it really works for Rebecca. She is a good rider who is bit lighter and less aggssive than me. She rips carves on the groomers and tears all over the mountain on the thing. She rides other boards on real powder days though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next