Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: The Donner Split Party presented by sb.com 2/22-24/13
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:16 pm 

Hola compadres,

I had a good conversation today with a friend and splitboard MFG about the possibility of having a Tahoe SplitFest this coming winter and wanted to use this thread to gauge the interest level and get your thoughts.

Currently in California we've typically had the Echo Lakes SplitFest and the Cali Splitfest (didn't really happen last year). We've also seen many other splitfest events pop up over the last couple years in other states as well. So one might ask....do we really need another? Probably not, but that's not going to stop me....I think Tahoe does!

The Echo event turnout has been pretty good and the CaliFest is always a fun time but I think there is opportunity to organize an event to be the mother of all California Splitfests and I'm motivated to make it happen.

So with that, I'm starting to think about venues, events, clinics, lodging, tours, guest speakers, etc. I guess my main question is whether folks would come out to an event that I organize and put on as splitboard.com?

The motive for this event is not to make money for myself or the site but to organize a really fun/educational/stoke-filled event for everyone from experienced splitters to new splitters. While we'd all love great conditions for the event, the conditions would be less of the focus and it would be more about demoing new gear, learning new stuff, feeding off the community's stoke, and having a good time. I would like to raise some money for the Sierra Avy Center too but that would not be the primary focus. The main goal would be to celebrate the sport and get folks stoked on splitting.

So what say the community? Can I count on your support?

For folks that have attended other splitfests....what did you like? What didn't you like?

I'll post some more of my thoughts soon!

Chris

EDIT: Dates and location have been set! The event will be at Clair Tappan Lodge on February 22-24 2013 :thatrocks:

I'll be working on this over the next couple months but here's what I can tell you so far.

I've reserved the whole Hutchinson Lodge that sleeps 25 in a loft style set-up
The lodge has a kitchen, showers, fireplace, etc
Cost is $25+tax per person per night and you would need to book both nights (meals are not included at this price)
If you would like meals provided the cost is 49+tax (you'd get a meal Friday night, breakfast-lunch-dinner on Sat, and breakfast-lunch on Sunday)
The lodge will be all yours :thatrocks: :guinness:

I've also reserved 30 spots in the main Clair Taipan Lodge (room for more if we need it and don't wait too long)
Depending on what you want and how soon you commit will depend on the type of room you'll get
They have a combination of 2 person rooms, 5 person rooms, 6 person rooms, 8 person rooms and a 10 person room
Cost for the main lodge has been discounted for us from $60 to $50 per night per person, 2 nights required
Meals ARE included (you'd get a meal Friday night, breakfast-lunch-dinner on Sat, and breakfast-lunch on Sunday)

To reserve a spot you can do so now (sooner the better) by calling the lodge at 530-426-3632 and mention splitboard.com event. Ask for James but anyone should be able to help you book a spot.

Lots more info coming over the next few weeks. :thumbsup:

Flyer:

Post subject: Re: Feeler Alert - 2013 Tahoe SplitFest presented by sb.com
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:30 pm 

Sounds great! I bet I can rally some people from Oregon to head down. When are you thinking?

Only advice I can give is don't try to drag a keg of beer up several thousand feet on a homemade keg sled. After that, it's all good!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:37 pm 

Jefe009 wrote:
Only advice I can give is don't try to drag a keg of beer up several thousand feet on a homemade keg sled.

:thumbsup:

The date is a tough one...maybe february.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:06 am 

I am up for a departure from my normal ritual of trying to keep up with the AT and tele buddies! Sounds fun!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:42 pm 

Yes! Do it! North shore? Presidents weekend? :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:14 pm 

swanny wrote:
Yes! Do it! North shore? Presidents weekend? :thumbsup:

This...or MLK weekend!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:03 am 

we could have a donner party

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:55 pm 

If I have any Triad bindings left by then, I wouldn't mind donating a pair.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:19 pm 

Definitely leaning towards North Lake for this one...

can't do Pres or MLK weekends tho

I'm excited to make this happen.

Thanks for the comments so far guys! :thatrocks: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:17 pm 

Whoohoo...this is getting fun! :thatrocks:

Just had a great conversation with the good folks at the Clair Tappan Lodge! This is the same spot of the very, very first SplitFest that took place in 2005. :)

Here's some deets on the lodge in no specific order.

http://www.sierraclub.org/outings/lodges/ctl/

The lodge is located in Norden (Donner Summit) and has great access to the North Lake Tahoe backcountry. There are both easy and difficult tours in the area and it would also would have access to road roads off the legendary Old Donner Summit Rd. It's very close to Castle Peak and Sugarbowl Ski area as well. Sugarbowl has a good boundary policy and even offers one-ups where you can buy a one-way lift ticket to take advantage of the lifts to access the bc. The west shore goodness is fairly close too.

The lodge sleeps and feeds 140 but we cant reserve the whole place on the weekends but we could definitely reserve 50-75+.

Cost is $60 per person/per night and INCLUDES a meal on the night of arrival as well as breakfast and a sack lunch for the day. We "might" be able to swing a small group discount of $10 as well if we get enough attendees.

Since we can't book the whole lodge we wouldn't be able to use the community area for a raffle/slide show/etc but we can use the the dinning room after dinner which seats 140 and should work well.

For sleeping it's primarily rooms with bunks

The open area

We'd also be able to have alcohol (keg) and possibly a outside campfire. We just can't get out of hand (quite time in the lodge is 10pm).

There is also room to set up some vender booths for demos outside and maybe an area to do some beacon search contests, split ski race, etc.

Another option in addition to the CTL is the neighboring Hutchinson Lodge which sleeps 25. I think this would be perfect for the folks on a budget (cost is $25ish per person/per night but does not include meals). It does have a kitchen however and could be a great spot for the folks looking to get loose since we could easily fill the whole lodge. Sleeping is slightly more rustic, think 4inch pads on the floor in a loft area.

Hutchinson Lodge
http://www.sierraclub.org/outings/lodge ... inson.aspx

I'm really liking the sound of this location! Initial thoughts on dates would be Feb 22-24th.

CTL and HL are only an hour away from Reno airport too making it easy for outoftowners looking to fly in.

What say splitters???

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:53 pm 

Re the raffle.

One of the things I've disliked about raffles in the past is when non-splitters win a high ticket item such as a splitty and then they go sell it.

To prevent this from happening I'm thinking of having 2 raffles. One for anyone and everyone and one exclusive to splitboard.com members (or at least splitters in general). Funds from both would go to whatever cause we pick (SAC most likely) and ensure that the big items go to good homes. :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:24 am 

:headbang:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:46 am 

One thing that I have loved seeing over the course of the few splitfests I have been to was giving a prize of significant value to the splitter who finds the hidden avy beacon. Always a bonus to put those skills to use.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next