Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Conditions in Chic Chocs, Quebec
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:56 am 

Any Quebecois splitters out there (or anyone else) have any beta on the current conditions in the Chic Chocs? I've been following the avalanche center bulletins, but trying to get more specific info. We're heading up there at the beginning of March.

Any info is appreciated...thanks!

Post subject: Re: Conditions in Chic Chocs, Quebec
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:38 pm 

So far, not a bad season but neither a great one. Still better than southern Quebec & New England.
They had only one significant thaw around late january. Most rocks and stumps are now covered. I think you cannot go wrong with the avalanche bulletinn which is one of the best source of information. You can follow them also on their facebook page and their picasa photo album.
https://picasaweb.google.com/114546997406616232279
I would also recommand to follow Auberge Chic-Chac on facebook. They post often pictures or sequences. Anyhow I wouldn't worry about the conditions in march. Just be aware that the wind is major factor in destination choice. A lot of the summits are exposed and get wind scoured. And the lee sides gets the slab issues...

I am heading in a more remote location in Western Chics-Chocs next week-end and will post something on the forum at my return.

By the way, last year, I spent a few days in the dacks with the crazy snow year in there. And might return when there is going be enough snow to skin in the valleys.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:54 pm 

Thanks for the link. Great pics, even more stoked now. The ADKS are in rough shape right now, but there is riding to be found in spots. www.adkbcski.com has some good pics and video to check out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:00 am 

I just got back from 3 days in the Western Chic Chocs. Definitely, winter up there. We got 20 cm of fluff during our trip. Only one sign of thaw, late January ice storm under 50 cm of powder snow for a total snow pack of 4 feet at 500 m elev. Local say they are 2 feet behind the average snowpack. We were able to ride most of the tree areas and only one snowfield wasn't ready yet. Also South/S-E aspect were avoided since we release a size 2 slab avy in a chute that was crossloaded and had several cracks on similar aspects while skinning. So I am not afraid for your trip in March. And if the shitty pattern of weather in the East stays the same, they will definitively get less damage than more southern locations like Greens, Whites or Dacks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:19 pm 

Art-
Just returned from the Gaspe. Riding was all time!! Awesome bluebird Day 1 on Hogs Back and we hit the Grand Couloir, which had slid on Feb 25 or so, but it was still good with a little fresh on top. Day 2 it started snowing hard and we got shut-down by wind and scary slab conditions on Mont Albert, so we hit up Champs de Mars for the afternoon. Day 3 we ran laps on Mt Lyall in bottomless pow and zero visibility...the new tree runs that were cut last year were ridiculously good. Day 4 back to Hogs Back for some tree runs in deep pow.

Thanks for the info. I'm already planning a return trip for April. Still can't believe there is terrain like that on the East Coast.

Peace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:06 am 

Nous vous invitons a tournée une nouvelle page dans l’évolution du snowboard hors piste. Ont vous offre un forfait simple et incroyable qui vous permettras de découvrir la libertés et la joie que le splitboarding a à offrir.

Ce forfait vous offres: un guide certifiée pour une durée de 4hrs, tout votre équipements de splitboard, et une collation "alpine" au sommet. Nos guides vous expliquerons cette nouvelle technologie dans un milieu naturel et sécuritaire. Ceci vous permetera d'avoir la chance d'essayer les différents systèmes de Splitboard. Le forfait "Initiation au Splitboard" est le seule sur le marché dans l'Est Canadien en se moment.

On vous attend!

Tarif:
99.00$ + taxes
Escompte pour les groupes de 4+, contacter nous.

*Nous louons également notre équipements de splitboard pour une durée de 24hrs +, avec dépôt.
Nous travaillons avec Mervin*, sur se projets et nous utilisons leur splitboards, Lib Tech et GNU pour hommes et femmes.

BOOM!!! Vous trippez sur le splitboard et vous avez besoin d’expérience plus capotante? Consulter nous pour nos expédition internationales et locales.

Nous avons les BillyGoat Split 2013 et pour les femmes les B-Pro Split 2013
Nous avons les T-Rice Split 2013
Nos fixes de splitboard 2013

Les Guides Torngat Inc.
1.855.5GUIDES
http://www.torngatguides.com
www.facebook.com/torngat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:51 pm 

Introduction to Splitboarding

Welcome to the new age in back-country satisfaction. We offer you a simple introduction to splitboarding package that allows you to discover the freedom and exhilaration this technology has to offer. Here in the east we find ourselves constantly searching for a "big mountain" experience like our friends in the West. Splitboarding has allowed us to venture out in the Quebec regions and experience several meters of powder conditions in our own backyards. If you are looking for a rush in la belle province, this is the introduction package for you!

Torngat Guides Inc., provides you with a certified avalanche guide for the duration of 3hrs, all of the equipment you will need for your splitboarding experience and a mountaineering snack for the summit. Your guide will ease you into the liberating world of splitboarding in a safe and positive atmosphere. We consider this to be a wonderful "bang for your buck" package as it allows you to try out various splitboarding systems before making your initial purchase.

Rate:
99$+tax per person

*Please note: We also rent out our split boards with a deposit, for a daily rate.

[url]www.torngatguides.com
[/url]www.facebook.com/torngat