Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Haines beta?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:33 pm 

So after missing an opportunity a few years back (had a wedding instead :cry: ) This spring the wife and I are going on separate vacations, and I'll be making my first trip to AK :headbang:

I think I'm pretty set on heading into Haines, and doing some glacier camping and touring, maybe a day of heli.

I've talked to Mt flying service, and know about Drake, but haven't contacted him yet, as the crew size is still up in the air, and he has an 800lbs limit.

I'm thinking maybe the Fairweather range around glacier bay, or the chilkat, wrangells etc.

Anyways, who's been? Any advice on zones, places to stay, roadside touring while waiting for weather etc

Any advice would be appreciated, there may be an open spot or two as well, as one is healing from a broken foot, and another isn't 100% committed.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Haines beta?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:42 pm 

Last spring was my first trip to AK (spent 3 months in haines april-july). Drake is the man, if you can fly with him i'd highly recommend it. His prices are more than fair and he is the guy you want to have backing you up in town. I heard several stories of people being caught in storms and Drake showed up un-announced to pick them up during a slim weather window before the storm continued. I stayed at the mountain view hostel (run by alaska mountain guides) pretty poor accommodations but the price is good. It's pretty much the dirt bag option. There are a few other places to stay in town. Captain lodge or something like that? For flights I flew into Juneau and then took a $50 ferry ride to Haines. The ferry ride was so much fun and it was a fantastic way to see the mountains lining the inlet. Flights are also available from Juneau for around $100 but heavy weight will make the flights cost more. I flew with Alaska sea planes on the return journey. I did not have a car to do any roadside touring, go talk to Jeff at the outdoor store in town. He has the local beta for sure. I guess roadside touring is totally an option and there is some local trees to shred as well. Mount Ripinski looms right over town and has some great terrain on it. Not the dreamy AK spine world though. The boarder is about an hour north of town and there is some great roadside touring up there but if weather is an issue you probably wouldn't want to be driving up there. As far as zones go, we spent 4 weeks out by flower mountain (right around 35 mile) and the heli op is at 33 mile. We skinned from the car and were up there more for learning than for riding. We got buzzed by helis and saw several sledders out there. We made it all the way back to the Tsirku glacier which is pretty much the west side of the fairweathers, those mountains out there are unreal. Super heads up out there though, glacier travels skills are mandatory in most places. Food is expensive too so if you can get food in juneau and bring it on the ferry that's a much better way to do it than to buy everything in Haines. Mountain market is a great local spot to grab a good healthy breakfast/lunch. Let me know if you have any other questions!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:38 pm 

I would highly recommend the Juneau icefield traverse. beautiful and great looking ski terrain awaiting first ascents and descents. way tougher and cooler than flying in on a heli or ski plane and doing the same ol trip that everyone does nowadays.

http://aaj.americanalpineclub.org/climb ... -lyon-u-k/

I spent a month on the icefield in july last summer, it was a great experience. We took a boat from atlin b.c across atlin lake to the lewellyn glacier. too late in the summer for quality skiing and boarding, but I most likely got the first ski descent of mt London, (on approach skis with leather mountaineering boots, with viole mtn plates for bindings)!!!

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthr ... er=1114955

doitdoit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:17 pm 

haines is awesome. on the US side there is not as much "easy" road side touring as in valdez, a lot of the mountains have a pretty long approach though the woods and stuff. still, once you get up into the pass the mountains are really accessible, but bring a passport! heres a good guide for the yukon side of things:
http://yukonbackcountryskiing.com/book/

as for places to stay, i'd recommend staying at the "funny farm". bruce is the man. he's located near 30 mile so youre just a quick hop and skip away from all the fun at 33 mile.
if you can get a couple buddies together you can rent one of his cabins and it's one of the cheaper options for a roof over your head.
http://funnyfarmak.com/home

your best bet for weather is in haines...but there are plenty of options here in juneau, too. not to mention that we have a ski resort if you're ever weathered in... just throwing this out there ;)
http://alaskapowder.com/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:35 pm 

Thanks for the replies.

Chris,

I appreciate the advice on the traverse, but I'm going for 2 weeks max, and I'm more into riding than skinning 200km. I'm sure it was amazing and wouldn't mind doing something like that in the future, and totally commend you for doing it, but this trip is about riding gnar AK lines, not traversing. When traversing comes in, riding lines is kinda a second thought, and the first one is making it to the destination. The main focus of this trip is to ride lines.

Earnyourturn and sometimesdylan,

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm going to look into them!

Here's to a fat and stable snowpack this spring, and hopefully a weather window! :guinness: :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:56 am 

2 weeks is a pretty short trip for glacier camping in ak. (unless you're flexible with dates and cherry pick the best weather window, like some of the "smash and grab" climbing trips that have been happening) expect to be stormed in 1/2 the time and then waiting for a day or 2 for the snow to shed. that's leaving you with only a few days of riding...and don't forget your going to have to pack out a runway for the plane to land, which could take a whole day or at least an afternoon. sorry if that sounds pessimistic.

Or maybe it'll be bluebird the entire time and you'll score the best runs of your life!!! I'd say there's an equal chance for both...either way it will be an epic time!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:46 am 

I was there for just two weeks doing mostly heli, but good advice so far. We stayed at a ladys house on Mosquito Lake (dirtbag option with AK Heli). Might be able to contact her direct, though its a little awkward coming and going with her and or family living there. Beautiful spot though. The rest of the time we stayed in Haines at the Beach Road House.

http://www.beachroadhouse.com/node/1

This place was legit and the owners were super cool. More expensive but great setting with the water , town and hiking trails nearby for down days. The drive up from town is a piece of cake if you are used to commuting. This would be my preference, though longer to the CA border. You could always camp for that stuff. I'd hit the Fireweed for pizza and Mosey's Cantina for mexican. Also got to stop at the 33 mile roadhouse for breakfast or burgers.

As mentioned, I think Jeff Moski runs the Haines avalanche info center, and would be good to hook up with. You can also follow the Heli ops webpage to follow snow conditions.

http://alaskasnow.org/haines/conditions.php

We did some touring on 4 winds https://www.flickr.com/photos/forrestthorniley/11379391225/ near 33 mile and up along the canadian border near 3 guardsmen https://www.flickr.com/photos/forrestthorniley/11379389625/. Ill echo what was said about long approaches doing stuff before you get to the border, pretty similar to WA though. We saw sledders getting into this zone from near 33 mile
https://www.flickr.com/photos/forrestthorniley/11379522303/
http://goo.gl/maps/zGTQb.

Once closer to the border the snow was much shallower and more like continental snowpack. Shorter approaches and not many trees, but would suck to get stuck in a whiteout around here. The Yukon is worth heading into, talk about middle of nowhere. The real spine lines seemed to be harder to get too, maybe 5+ miles from the road. I think if you are doing roadside stuff Valdez/Thompson Pass would be the way I'd go, with maybe a sled shuttle or heli bump throw in. Unless you are set on doing the Fly Drake stuff, which would be super rad if you get good weather. I still want to do it someday. I'd hit up JTrue on the TGR forums. I know Russman has done the trip as well.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/263616-TR-Haines-AK-Glacier-Trip

Another trip I'd like to do is rent a boat and explore some of the terrain you see coming into Haines on the ferry, pretty epic. Probably heavier and more maritime but I think its off limits for Heli and probably untouched for the most part. Check the pics at the beginning of this set:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/forrestthorniley/sets/72157638686520945/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:41 pm 

DO IT, nothing compares and it will make you laugh at most mountains in the lower 48's

Travis Young (known to lurk on here) enjoying Haines

I know this is a splitboard forum but you would be doing yourself a serious injustice by not spending a day or 3 or more with Sean Dog and the boys and gals at Alaksa Heliskiing. $125 a lap last time I was there.. Point to a peak they take you. ( be sure to have a heli full of your crew and make sure everyone is strong) - they wont let you get gnarly if people are gaping..

God damn I miss Haines!!! A little perspective..

Lodging: Funny Farm no questions asked. Well you may want to ask Bruce if he was rooms. We met him and his ex-wife at a bar one night, he says why dont you come stay at the Funny Farm. We looked at him like ya fucking right dude.. Turns out best move ever!!

Fireworks: 28 mile I believe is where the sketchy dude lives, just ask Bruce.

Food: 33 Mile Burger, repeat, ( although I did hear it was sold?? ) Stay with Bruce, get on the meal plan and eat things like this:

Another lodging option is the Mountain Chalet

Although we got a bit rowdy there as their first renters.... So not sure about them anymore. Stay with Bruce, have him take you fish on down days.

Splitboarding is awesome, don't get me wrong however sometime a heli bump is even cooler. Just ask Ryland about when we snaked him and the boys on Indy 5000... Sorry about that Ry :) Helis are much faster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:40 pm 

Thanks for the recommendations.

The tentative plan so far is to fly into Juneau and take the boat. We're definitely on the dirtbag budget, going for 2 weeks hoping to be able get dropped and camp tour for around 5 days and maybe do a day of heli. So we're probably looking to stay closer to where the planes are as opposed to the heli. We even thought of maybe renting an RV or van, when we were thinking of Valdez as well, we found them for pretty cheap out of Anchorage.

I've heard elsewhere that a little ways into Canada there's tree zones, with pillows and other goods right off the highway to tour when it's storming, anybody have any experience with that? I'd also like to stay away from heli zones while touring if possible. That's the point of the plane drop, and going to Haines instead of Valdez, but if there's anything accessible from the road that I won't have to worry about getting dropped in on, that would be prime.

How's the border crossing to the yukon? Is there one? I'm not really allowed in Canada, but I do have a passport, and know plenty of people who have slipped through at major border crossings, so I'm hoping it won't be an issue up there.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:22 am 

saign wrote:
Thanks for the recommendations.

The tentative plan so far is to fly into Juneau and take the boat. We're definitely on the dirtbag budget, going for 2 weeks hoping to be able get dropped and camp tour for around 5 days and maybe do a day of heli. So we're probably looking to stay closer to where the planes are as opposed to the heli. We even thought of maybe renting an RV or van, when we were thinking of Valdez as well, we found them for pretty cheap out of Anchorage.

I've heard elsewhere that a little ways into Canada there's tree zones, with pillows and other goods right off the highway to tour when it's storming, anybody have any experience with that? I'd also like to stay away from heli zones while touring if possible. That's the point of the plane drop, and going to Haines instead of Valdez, but if there's anything accessible from the road that I won't have to worry about getting dropped in on, that would be prime.

How's the border crossing to the yukon? Is there one? I'm not really allowed in Canada, but I do have a passport, and know plenty of people who have slipped through at major border crossings, so I'm hoping it won't be an issue up there.

Thanks

Alaska Heliskiing does a heli-tour option where they will drop you off in a zone and let you tour all day, I think. Had a couple friends go and do something like that last spring with them. They had the whole place to themselves pretty much, as people got spooked away from Haines when SEABA had that accident.

There is a lot of easy road side trees (and steeps) in Juneau, but as far as in Canada I am not too sure. The border crossing is just the same as any Canada-USA border crossing. I have had a couple friends searched going through, but your experience may vary...

Snow level dropped to 3000 feet last night... Starting to get real pretty up here :disco:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:36 am 

Just a couple photos from around here last winter because I am excited and I want you to be too

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:03 pm 

As was said before, get food in Juneau first, go to Costco and stock up because everything is already expensive in AK and terribly so in Haines (beer, buy beer). If you're hanging around 33 mile beer is like gold. I do highly recommend doing at least a few heli served laps with Alaska Heli Skiing, you're really selling yourself short if you don't. Do what it takes to make it happen, when I went I sold my car before hand to fund more heli time (nailed a weather window, rode every day for 2 weeks straight which is unheard of). Right near 33 mile are the classics of indy 5000 and hangover, both highly recommended (indy 500 is a fun warm up also).
Oh and when I was there all the produce was brown in the stores, but somehow they had fresh salad at 33 mile. On day 10 of nothing but carbs and meat you'll appreciate some greens :wink:

http://www.chair2boardsports.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:09 pm 

Although my experience in the area involves a lot more time in the bird than on skins, I don't think Haines is ideally suited for touring unless you are getting dropped somewhere by plane or camping due to the approaches, though there is obviously killer riding to be had. The helis access enough terrain that they will generally stay away from people touring. The border crossing can be a bitch as they get pretty bored there. I know I've read about some fun touring and riding in Canada, but once you get to the border the snowpack quickly transitions to continental. The Funny Farm is legit, especially if you are there for fish fry night. And definitely make sure you do at least a couple days with AK Heli, but make sure you shred your credit card or lose your wallet before you get in too deep.