Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: California Avalanche Workshop
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:19 pm 

http://splitboard.com/california-avalanche-workshop-october-18th-in-south-lake-tahoe/

Big thanks to the splitboard.com Elves for posting this notice up on the homepage. There's good info up there so check it.

The basic details:

Where: LTCC Board Room
When: Saturday 10/18 9am-5pm
What: Snow and avalanche workshop featuring a variety of speakers including a couple of splitboard.com amigos (Shralphmachio and Granjero/213). Reps from all the Avy centers will be in the same room, presenting and taking questions.

This should be a good day to brush off the summer cobwebs, stretch your snow/avalanche muscles, find some BC partners, and get psyched for winter.

Personally, I've been jealous of the long running pre-season avalanche workshops in the PNW, UT, and CO. I hope folks come out and enjoy one here. Please help spread the word!

The Sierra Avalanche Center will be showing the latest Powderwhores' film at Himmel House the night of the 18th as well.

Registration link:
http://www.ltccconnect.com

Post subject: Re: California Avalanche Workshop
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:11 pm 

Winter's coming...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:02 am 

Signed up! See ya dudes there :headbang:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:40 pm 

how did it go guys?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:41 am 

I thought it went well! Good coffee mediocre doughnuts Packed house,too many puffy tuxedos on a warm day :lol: ... Hats off to DishwasherDave for putting the event together. He is an asset to LTCC and its outdoor wilderness program....if you have yet to take a class from him, I highly recommend you take one! Started off somber with personal accounts of avy deaths. Shralp and Elyse spoke very well and answered tough questions after. Ben Hatchett gave a forcasting tutorial that would blow your mind.. I needed to be way more red eye to get it, but hey it was entertaining... Always practice your beacon skills, and try to make the right decisions on your own. A good refresher from the avy centers... I learned there will be an avy forcast for Rock creek all the way north to bridgeport :disco: Thats cool! And in the end... A tease, from North Points Heli about all the sick terrain they get.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:42 pm 

Thanks coming Aaron! Those donuts were definitely gross! Other than the stuff about that Dave guy, I generally agree with that review.

It was tough for the other presenters to match the emotional impact of Alex Do and Elyse Saugstad's talks. Alex clearly put a ton of thought into his slideshow and presentation. I was impressed.

It was good to start to get the word out about the Bridgeport avy info center. That is still in the early stages but there is definitely a need in that area.

There were just over a hundred people in the room, which was right at capacity. We had folks come up from Independence and Bishop and drive down from Shasta, which was pretty awesome. Lots of high quality questions. I was pretty busy during breaks and didn't get to socialize much but it seemed like that was happening, which is an important component of these workshops.

Nothing is certain yet, but I'm guessing we will do another workshop next year. Likely a little bigger, in a larger venue with a significant presence from industry reps. Hopefully, lots of stoke from an epic 2014-2015 winter as well! Maybe even better donuts.

Thanks again to Splitboard.com for assistance spreading the word.