Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winter Camping from a Vehicle
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:45 pm 

Hey Guys
I plan to do a lot of Splitting using my vehicle as my base this winter and wondered if you have any tips/feedback/ideas to make it that much easier. I've got a panel van which is big enough for a double matters in the back. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Will be the first time I've used a vehicle for this purpose.
Thanks
Martin

Never Summer Snow Trooper 156

Post subject: Re: Winter Camping from a Vehicle
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:02 am 

I'm a newbie at this too, although I've spend a few nights in cars snowboarding before. But I've started building a small car a few weeks ago and have tested it a bit. I've used losts of Armacell insulation. You can probably find a similar closed cell insulation cheap in the US. Covered all the bare metal inside the car with it, floor, and the insides of doors too. Panel vans have thin walls, so to me this was essential. It also helps with making the car less noisy. Turns out this stuff is really a lot like the camping matress material, but thicker and more comfortable. So I've used it for the beds too, it's really warm to sleep on! I think a regular matress will get wet and is not rellly suited for camping.

My car doesn't have a heating system or anything in it, so insulated everything instead. A bigger van will also be harder to stay warm in than a small hatchback or something.

Get some kind of curtain to close of the cargo space from the cabin, or you'll be scraping ice of the inside of your windows in the morning. Crack a window open to get a bit of ventilation. I use a small strip of waterproof tent cotton to prevent snow and wind blowing in, attach with magnets.

I'll post a picture of the inside as soon as I can find my camera again... Image

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:32 am 

2 months in japan and a week in iceland last winter from a rental hatchback.
its basically luxury winter camping.
slept on my exped downmat every day, sleeping bag, stove.
pee bottle is probably the most important piece of kit.
hot water ready to go in a thermos is pretty good idea to get your morning meal/coffee going.
remember to park on a flat hill so you sleep well.
theres not much to it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:04 pm 

Try cutting cardboard to fit in the windows. Look for double wall closed cell like from a refrigerator packing box. And I found a heater blanket that plugs into the car 12v socket.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:08 pm 

To set up properly for a whole season you want to add a second battery that is isolated through a VSR. Google it. Its a must have.
Run all your accessories off the second battery, even if you run it dead flat your car will still start.
Carry jumper leads, shovel and a recovery strap.
Buy a nice big gas burner for cooking, dont rely on jetboils etc, they are too small to rely on for a season. Cook real meals ;)
Take a bucket with your toiletries in it, a whores bath can make you feel like a human again ;)
A cheap synthietic chamois is good for wiping away condensation in the morning.
A hot engine is good for drying stuff out
Keep a full tank of fuel, it could save your life in a massive blizzard.
Antifreeze!!!
Keep a window cracked when you are inside, a bit of 2" tape in the door frame can stop snow blowing straight in the window