Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Summer in SoCal-The Wedge at 25 feet
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:49 am 

We have a strong S-SE swell rolling through the next couple of days. Not big down here in San Diego because we face more west so the swell is rollingh on by. Oh but up in Orange and Los Angeles Counties people are finally seeing some big surf.
Its been a while

Have a look at the Wedge . A freak wave actually formed by backwash from a jetty put in years ago. Mostly body surfers and boogie boarders, but check out the crowd

They are calling it 20-25 feet with occasional 30. I dont see that but it sure is fun to watch

Enjoy

http://www.surfline.com/surf-report/the ... rnia_4232/

Post subject: Re: Summer in SoCal-The Wedge at 25 feet
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:24 pm 

Dude they closed down the beach the other day due to the swells! Portuguese Point, Sacred Cove, Inspiration Point, even The Pier. . . Or so I heard on the radio.
Some 18 year old was swept out to sea two days ago (fatality) and over the last 24 hrs 100+ rescues (none fatal).
I hope somebody on this forum is getting some. :headbang:

All I could think was well shoot. If one fatality lead to multiple closures on the beach (where there's rescue infrastructure), imagine if one of us died in an avalanche.
I could see it now. . . Los Angeles Times Dateline: Baldy Village - "LA Snowboarder Killed in Avalanche" and "Angeles National Forest Closed Until Further Notice: Avalanche Danger"

Think about the man power needed to keep people off beaches and compare that what's needed to close the entire forest: three road closures below the snow line.
And who could forget last El Niño year. Biggest dump in 20 years and they just closed the whole road for four months.

Post subject: Re: Summer in SoCal-The Wedge at 25 feet
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:47 am 

During the Jan 2010 El Nino (1.6 ONI, a biggie) the Coconino National Forest did exactly that: Citing avalanche hazard and public safety, they closed the national forest lands on the San Francisco Peaks to all backcountry use during and following what was one of the biggest snow events in decades.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split