Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What camera??
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:59 pm 

barrows wrote:
I have never quite understood why there seem to be so many proprietary RAW formats? Makes it a little frustrating for those with decent software when one cannot use it with their new camera. I have not been using RAW much these days, but I was thinking which such a good sensor, it might be worth using RAW to get the best image quality possible.

Probably because each generation of sensor and corresponding camera CPU use different architecture and firmware. The point of the RAW format is to record the data as it is pulled off of the sensor and to do translation and processing off-chip. Adobe DNG is a universal format, and usually you can convert from the native camera RAW to DNG without loss of quality using your manufacturer's DNG converter.

Is it worth it? It depends how much you like your images and how much time you have. Probably not worth it if:
a) the glass isn't that great to begin with
b) you will never print your images bigger than 8x12
c) you don't associate image quality with your personal reputation

Worth it if:
a) you have a reasonable amount of time to spare
b) white balance is really important to you (and you aren't carrying gray cards in the field)
c) you can see the difference of recovering an additional half-stop of dynamic range, or manually performing noise reduction via software rather than on-camera processing
d) you care what you and/or other people think of your images

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:28 pm 

I'm waiting on delivery of a Panasonic LX7. I was actually thinking about an LX5 as a replacement for my well loved LX3, which is going to wifey, and was very pleasantly surprised to see the LX7.

Things that sold it to me:
f1.4 at 24mm
f2.3 at 90mm
in-built ND filter to allow longer exposures (blury motion) or larger aperture (blury backround) in bright conditions.
250 sec to 1/4000s shutter speed
sweep panorama
HDR function (possibly gimmicky, possibly great)
full HD video with manual shutter speed/aperture control
time lapse mode
11fps burst
5fps continuous with continuous autofocus.
aspect ratio switch on the lens barrel (inc 1x1, which is on the LX3, but buried 12 button prsses into the menu)
aperture switch on the barrel
hotshoe-mount with electronic viewfinder available. I'm not sure whether I'll get one of those (they aren't cheap), but I might well. I do miss it compared to shooting with the SLR. There's something more involving about composing an image up close through a viewfinder, rather than at arm's length on a screen, which has me concentrating more on getting the best composition.

Looked at the Sony, but it's a good slice more money, and its biggest advantage, sensor size, is in part mitigated by the faster lens on the LX7.

HOWEVER,

I'm no expert. I am looking forward to getting it in my sweaty mitts and getting some images with it, though!

While I'm on, here's one from the LX3. Honeymoon in Utah, Porcupine Rim in Moab:

Not a huge amount of artistic merit, and it doesn't show off a great deal about the camera, but I like it anyway. Amazing day, amazing trail, pretty amazing bike, too!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:44 pm 

Nd, they are very comparable in stats, I'd say. I haven't messed with RAW photos yet, mostly due to time. But I've been impressed with the Nex-5N's low light performance lately. Now that I'm figuring it out a little more.

I am getting a little noise, but thats probably user error, and not a beefy tripod causing some shake.

And how fast it captures burst. I can do 10 frames per second, which I'm excited for snowboard season with.

And the sweep is killer, and super easy to use

I'm def stoked on the new camera and ready for snowboard season!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:47 am 

It costs nearly $3000, but Sony has released the world's first fixed-lens compact digital camera with a full frame sensor. Another game changer.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:42 pm 

yea that rx1 is a beast - i was playing with one in the store the other day. fit and finish on the sonys is a+. i have a nex 7 and an rx100. rx100 owners should know about this product if they don't already: http://www.carryspeed.com/products/magfilter . it can also be modded with a step-down ring and some super-glue to be filter-mount for whatever kind you like. the magnet is super strong.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:47 pm 

Perfect. I've been wishing for a polarizing filter. Thanks Shredlife!

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:49 pm 

my pleasure - it really is a smart little piece of kit. shipped extremely fast too. google or search dpreview for milsart or millsart magfilter hack for the mod.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:53 pm 

also for rx100 owners - you know this can be a slippery lil camera since they made it leica-sexy with no grip. there is something called the Franiec grip, grips from flipbac for a bit cheaper, and faux-leather skins like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camera-Leather- ... OC:US:3160 to make the camera easier to hold on to.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:07 pm 

for point/shoot, h20proof and shockproof we're really stoked on our sony tx20.