Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MTB advice
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:07 pm 

I'm looking at upgrading from a XC bike to an all mountain.
I've got a good line on an 2011 Giant Reign 1 and a 2011 Norco Range 1
Price wise I know their in very different leagues but I don't see that much of a spec difference. Do you guys think the Norco is worth the extra (it would cost me $1000 more than the Giant)

I know this belongs on mtbr, but I trust this site more.

Post subject: Re: MTB advice
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:17 am 

im not much of a mtbkr but i did get to take a friends giant out last summer a couple times
i found that on rugged trails ya gotta be really conscious of your pedal strokes, the bottom bracket is a bit lower to the ground than some other bikes so if your not careful w your pedalling you mite bottom out more than you'd like
i mentioned it at the bike shop when i was lookin at bikes and they all kinda gave me a blank look
i mentioned it to a buddy who was trying to sell me his giant and he admitted that was the reason he was selling the bike
probably not an issue at all if you mostly ride buff trails

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:14 pm 

i have a giant reign and i love it the bottom bracket height have not ever been an issue and i ride some gnarly stuff here in bend Oregon. i worked for a giant dealer for a long time and have riden a lot of bikes over the years....get the reign you won't be dissapointed!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:23 pm 

I have heard very good things about the Reign. I have a Specialized Pitch Pro and really like it. Pretty slack HT angle and 6" travel make for a super fun downhill experience while still being able to pedal uphill. Runs right around 30 lbs. The Pitch also has a pretty low BB and pedal strikes are definitely going to occur but you learn how to time your pedaling and eventually, at least for me, it is a non issue.

I have no experience with Norco but they have always been a pretty solid brand too from everything I've heard.

Personally, I'd get a Reign and have the $ left over to upgrade a few components than dropping extra cash on a Norco. The Reign is a proven design and the lower price is not for lack of quality.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:15 pm 

I've liked Giant bikes for many years. You can't beat the value and they ride great. Giant builds the aluminum frames for lots of big name companys. The Reign and Trance I own have been very trouble free as far as suspension bearings go. I'd go Reign x for all mountain but I go long travel for that stuff. Aso it has a slack head angle that works better for rocky trails. If you can, check out the Ibis Mojo HD the performance is way better. It pedals so well I removed the granny ring and made it a 1 x 10.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:24 pm 

Seems that that the Reign gets lots of love. Borrowed a friends 2011 Reign 2 the other day & I think I'm hooked on another sport (fucking great... I was hoping summer was gonna be cheap). New bikes are out of the question, I'm a bum, but hunting the used market I've come across a 2009 Reign X2 at $1400, in my budget. Good things? Bad things? Though the used market doesn't allow one to be as selective as going new, anything else I should be keeping an eye out for?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:06 am 

I suggest never buying a used mtb without someone who knows what they're doing looking at it first. A novice will not see/hear a hairline crack, super cheap/worn out components, or one that doesn't really fit. My advice is to go see it and bring someone with you. Good luck.

maniacdave wrote:
anything else I should be keeping an eye out for?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:53 am 

Ecobrad wrote:
I suggest never buying a used mtb without someone who knows what they're doing looking at it first. A novice will not see/hear a hairline crack, super cheap/worn out components, or one that doesn't really fit. My advice is to go see it and bring someone with you. Good luck.

maniacdave wrote:
anything else I should be keeping an eye out for?

Absolutely. It's a big chunk'o'change for me & I hesitate to throw it down on the first thing that fits the bill. Was going to check with a buddy to see if he'd come out & have a look at it. It is being sold by a reputable shop however, not out of a garage or the back of a pickup.