Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Arbor Splitboard feedback
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:33 pm 

I took the Arbor split out for a big tour to the Coleman Pinnacle on Saturday of the MBSF.

It was definitely fun on the way down and that is a big part of what it is about. I'm used to a stiffer board and found myself giving into the more playful action. I was pumping pow turns in lower angle pitches, where I would have been pointing it, and not loosing too much speed to make my goal. The magna traction like sidewall bumps near the binders did allow my size 12 feet to have no drag.

On the skinning front I found it to be deficient. The rocker point right in front of the touring bracket made the ski wash out when side hilling. We were in powder mostly but whenever it got firm near the wind blown ridge I found I had to work much harder to hold my edge, often with significant upper body pole bracing. This would be a nightmare for some of the spring tours with steep side hill ascents. I'm pretty comfy skinning up steep, firm stuff (think Rainier's Pan Point climb in the spring & summer) so I don't immediately attribute this to lack of skill or resistance to something new. When breaking trail I felt that the whole front of my ski/skin wasn't doing anything. It seemed that I was getting less float that usual and therefor working harder to break.

Last summer my buddy Chris and I decided to challenge/torture ourselves ascending the steep Pan Point route at Rainier. We skinned the whole thing while all but 2 other skiers switched to boot packing. The "skin track" was at most a cm deep edge and super firm. I'm not going to lie and say I didn't sweat the exposure at the finish but we made it in good form. This board would never have done that. Not a chance, in those conditions. The reality of touring in the bc is we deal with variable conditions, spend most of the time ascending and often deal with exposure. I want a tool that doesn't let me down, even in the worst of it.

Maybe I'm just not a rocker split board guy but I'm guessing there is a happy medium where the rocker moment is further forward from the touring bracket.

I was using my usual Spark binders, Voile skins and relatively stiff Burton Serow boots with new impact 5 liner. I'm coming from an older, fully cambered Voile Split Decision, if that helps put my observations in perspective.

Arbor makes beautiful gear and from all appearances this looked well made and durable. If they figure out a way to keep the rocker action while improving the uphill capabilities they will have a winner.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:01 am 

Waiting4winter36 wrote:
I prefer the Chinese Hooks because they make it a lot easier to throw your board together for a quick boot

I don't want to drift the thread off topic but I gotta share a couple thoughts on this...

After 12 years of splitting using the Chinese Hooks and now a couple months of using the K-clips...I don't think I'll ever go back to the hooks.

Something to consider is how many times you have to touch the hooks throughout the day. Lets say you do 5 transitions in a day, you have to touch and swivel the hooks a total of 20 times. With K-clips it's cut in half as you only have to open (or close) each clip, not swivel 4 hooks. It may sound trivial but again after a day with many transitions you'll notice a lot more ease and speed with the K-clips. Not to mention the way they pull the seam and two halves together is second to none.

In terms of getting the two halves together with the clips, after a day of two it becomes just as easy as the hooks. In fact the halves can be slid together in the same manner as the hooks where they catch on each other. Its super easy. The exception may be on Voile boards that are capped down the middle seam but Voile isn't even using that style of construction anymore so it's moot.

In my opinion, the K-clips are faster, more effective, and just as easy to use as the hooks.

:twocents:

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:17 am 

chdoba wrote:
I'm coming from an older, fully cambered Voile Split Decision, if that helps put my observations in perspective.

It does.

If this was your first time skinning a rockered board that has a lot to do with your experience skinning the Abacus. Much like riding a rockered board, skinning it is the same...it definitely take some getting use to and requires small adjustments to technique.

I've been using rockered boards for a couple years now and the Abacus for a couple months. In my experience with the board I haven't noticed anything specific to the shape or rocker point that has made it more or less difficult to skin than any other rockered split. I'd also call the Abacus extremely versatile in many conditions from powder to firm snow and it's definitely a tool "I" can trust. Currently I consider it my go-to board for anything. :)

I've never skinned up Rainier but I did skin the Abacus up Shuksan.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:03 am 

Here's a recent pic and viddy of the Abacus in use.

pic by SchralpMacchio aka Alex Do

Keep up the good work Arbor! :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:30 am 

I've been riding an arbor draft for about 6 years. I recently made it in a split and have been using it all of this season with about 30 days on it. For being a park specific board, I've loved it as an all mtn. board. It is not noodely even when it is a split. Yes, the board has seen its fair share of abuse with cracked edges and base damage, the boars still slays. I'm interested in Arbor's splitboard, but still more interested in their solids, because company made splits are just out of my price range.

Matt

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:25 am 

Here's the official spec sheet for the Abacus split! :thumbsup:
http://www.splitboard.com/index.php/fea ... oard-specs