Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Me, MIA, and Eastside Splitfest...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:44 pm 

Well if SOME snowboarding doesn't happen this spring I will be going into a catatonic coma and popping whatever anti-depressants I can get my hands on until the snow starts flying again. So I think this splitboard party thing is a good idea.

I like the Shasta idea, since it's pretty bare on the Eastside. I like car camping and bringing food, etc., or overnighting on the mountain. :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:47 pm 

Snowvols wrote:
4th of July weekend could be pretty awesome. I am free really any date. I might go out for some running or something stupid before touring since I am training for a half ironman at that point. Just keep me in the loop fellas. What gear would I need to get/bring? Axes and crampons I am assuming?

Dude it's a 14er, just climb the top 2-3k twice if you have too and give us the beta after the first descent ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:04 pm 

4th of July, or the 7th of July would be pretty sweeeeeettttt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:10 pm 

jbaysurfer wrote:

Dude it's a 14er, just climb the top 2-3k twice if you have too and give us the beta after the first descent ;-)

In fairness I am sure I would need them, but I just have to buy more stuff. :lol: Can I play the southern card for asking that question? What was I thinking?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:17 pm 

Snowvols wrote:
jbaysurfer wrote:

In fairness I am sure I would need them, but I just have to buy more stuff. :lol: Can I play the southern card for asking that question? What was I thinking?

LOL! I didn't mean that in regards to crampons Ice Axe, but yeah, you'll need them, I just meant you could climb it twice rather then go running before hand ;-)

I DO have an extra ice ax btw, but not crampons. 5th Season in Mt. Shasta rents both by the day too, so that's an option.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:23 pm 

jbaysurfer wrote:
Snowvols wrote:
jbaysurfer wrote:

LOL! I didn't mean that in regards to crampons Ice Axe, but yeah, you'll need them, I just meant you could climb it twice rather then go running before hand ;-)

I DO have an extra ice ax btw, but not crampons. 5th Season in Mt. Shasta rents both by the day too, so that's an option.

I like your training methods. I have been putting off buying an axe and crampons and it just gives me a reason too. I will start looking into gear.

The only problem I have is that my company is switching over to SAP and I am the key user at my site. So I will have to discuss it with my boss but could probably take a day off. What days were you guys thinking like a Friday-Monday or Fri-Sun?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:24 pm 

My :twocents: ...any weekend other than Memorial Day or those surrounding the 4th, prefer to avoid the shit storm that are the California freeways around extended holiday weekends. My guess is the weekend of 6/23 would be a good target for good conditions and trailhead access on North/East side of Shasta.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:29 pm 

jbaysurfer wrote:
I can see some of the PNW folk turning this into a cascades tour hitting up some classic OR descents while en route.

that sounds like a half decent idea!

i could probably make it on any of those weekends, though i vote against july 4th. i like to avoid long trips around holidays when the roads and campgrounds fill up with crowds and cops... after all, driving a vanagon is "probable cause"!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:33 pm 

Hells yeah, SHASTA!!! What a great freaking idea Tex!!!

Jake and Ben, that 4th of July weekend is a shitshow at the main route, but pop over to West Face or East Face and it's ghost town. Last year with full coverage down to bunny flat on the 4th of July there was no parking down there and a complete zoo. We popped over to Hidden Valley and there was only one other tent in the ENTIRE valley - and they camped like 300 yards away from us. I'm game for whenever though!

Here is a TR from last year, 4th of July that I posted on 'that other site' because I was on skis and not my splitboard. But I promise to bring my splitboard for the California Shasta party. I am so stoked on this idea. I've never done the east face either.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/show ... -4-2011%29

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:57 pm 

June 23 :thumbsup: Shasta :thumbsup: Bring your own :thumbsup:

Do you want to see demos?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:51 pm 

Tee shirts would be sweet. Something with the Shasta in the background

I should take a week off, drag my boat up there and make it a splitboard/wakeboard week/weekend

NOTE: this will be a bitch to plan. The brewer creek trailhead may not be melted out by then. How do we handle that? Postpone untill July 21st weeeknd?

todays forecast- 76 inches of snow this afternoon and tonight

122 inches forecasted by friday :shock:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... tType=text

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:55 pm 

Well, it sounds like the window we are looking at is mid-June to mid-July, yes?

Let's just call the actual weekend around the first week of May - would that give folks enough time to prepare? And then depending on conditions we could call the actual camp or trailhead closer to the actual event, depending on whether the road is open, the creekbed is skinnable, or whatever?

This is such a great idea Tex!

Here is some Shasta stoke I shot on March 11 ... waaaaay more filled in now ... and will be even more so by late May!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:02 pm 

For me the sooner the better on the dates. Really what are the days we are wanting to do this i.e. Friday, Saturday, Sunday? or what? I know one can make their own decisions on days they come. I just want to maximize my time in cali and this awesome event. Especially after how much TEX built a Cali splitfest up at the Canuck splitfest.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next