Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trapper Snowboards
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:56 pm 

Hey all, I haven't seen these guys mentioned around here yet so I figured give the heads up. All their boards are available in a split option. If you check out the team they've got riding for them you'll notice two splitters and a binding free surfer. It's great to see the Selkirks representing.

I got a chance to stomp around on one of their solid boards for a few runs last year, and it felt like a board built for charging hard. I noticed they have been added to the Rogers Pass Splitfest line-up as well. One more reason to come get high in the Selkirks, as if you needed one.

See it all here.

http://trappersnowboards.com

Post subject: Re: Trapper Snowboards
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:29 am 

Saw these in Kronicle... That trout topsheet is sweet :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:07 pm 

Nice: gentle entry point and nice long tapered tip, moderate sidecuts, slight camber underfoot with early rise tip and tail, and apparently-very high quality construction. Should make for a great stable and floaty ride, perfect for skilled riders in backcountry snow conditions.
Anyone else ride one of these, especially the Ursa Major?

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:08 pm 

And some nice topsheets to go! Cant wait to get on one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:50 am 

Really stoked to try one of these sometime,a shop called powder rentals has them for rent in Revy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:48 pm 

I love there boards. Last weekend i tried out 2 of their solid boards during Red's Demopolooza. I demoed a 166 Ursa Major and a 165 Howler. My first response before strapping in, was the boards were light, flexy, but tons of snap, and sick graphics. was awesome to scope out the douglas fir in some of the clear topsheets, and i like the idea of oak sidewalls. i tried one board with the oak sidewalls, and one with ptex. It was hard to tell the difference.

Riding wise, these boards want to go, and fast! As soon as i had my first run on one, i just wanted to take it to every terrain i could imagine. So much snap and pop. it blew me away. i always went double then what i expected just snapping ollies.
Edge hold on these boards was different from what i was use too. Being on rockered boards for the last little bit, made me use to the wish washing feeling. these boards cut like a knife. so at low speeds you want to stay flat based or you might feel your edge are grabbing alot. yet ripping high speed groomers, your like an f1 racing car ripping down the strip!

Ursa Major: I really really loved this board, and i'm going to be adding one to my quiver. It's a directional freeride board, yet the sidecut is built as a twin so you can still ride it switch. Has a slight amount of taper, and i really liked the square tail for pushing the pow around. but when i say these boards wanted to go, holy smokes do you go. the fastest i've rode through trees in a long time, ha! yet being a directional board your not limited trick wise. Spinning 5's were not a problem... there so light and snappy. you can just fly, ha! Love it. The only thing i found with it, was i thought the nose was a little on the softer side. But Greg says he's going to stiffen up the nose for next year!

Howler: The twin board in their line up. All i can say for this is board is fun. As soon as i got on it, i wanted to just spin. on everything, butter everything, jib everything. such a fun board. I haven't thrown any flips in years. This board made me start throughing backies like it was no big deal. So fun.

I highly highly recommend endorsing this brand. they are on to something. and they design boards for the rider that wants to destroy big mountain terrain.
Booya!

Boots: Salomon Malamutes
SnowSurf Pads: Almond MFG.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:58 pm 

Powslash: thanks for posting your impressions. Would you be kind enough to let me know your weight, and I assume you were on the solids, any ideas on the splits? I would also like to hear you compare and contrast your storm to the Ursa Major. I am very interested in a split Ursa Major for next season, but I do not want a softer board... also, did you ride any pow, or was this strictly resort packed snow testing?

thanks,

barrows

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:30 pm 

Hey Barrows check out this little edit from one of their team riders Ave perry throwing down pretty hard on the 166 Urus,their other rider Joey Vosburgh also ride the 166

http://vimeo.com/m/36324925

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:05 pm 

Hey Barrows!
Yes i only rode their solids. but, scoped out some of their splits.
In comparsion with the Ursa Major to the Storm, they had a lot of the same qualities. of being a big burly board to run down mtns. the nose i found to be softer on the Ursa, but Greg is going to stiffen it up for next year. The running length and sidecut is twin so riding switch was easier on the Ursa. I really like the square tail as well for making big slashes and big tail wheelies. I find the storm has a bit more agility in the trees.

I got to ride some steep pow lines on the Ursa and thats really where i felt the board excelled. as soon as you put it on some steeps. its ready to rip with extreme edge hold when you need it. I could ride center stanced and slice through the pow with no back leg burn. if you love your storm, you will fall in love the Ursa.

Boots: Salomon Malamutes
SnowSurf Pads: Almond MFG.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:27 am 

PowSlashingWigley wrote:
Hey Barrows!
Yes i only rode their solids. but, scoped out some of their splits.
In comparsion with the Ursa Major to the Storm, they had a lot of the same qualities. of being a big burly board to run down mtns. the nose i found to be softer on the Ursa, but Greg is going to stiffen it up for next year. The running length and sidecut is twin so riding switch was easier on the Ursa. I really like the square tail as well for making big slashes and big tail wheelies. I find the storm has a bit more agility in the trees.

I got to ride some steep pow lines on the Ursa and thats really where i felt the board excelled. as soon as you put it on some steeps. its ready to rip with extreme edge hold when you need it. I could ride center stanced and slice through the pow with no back leg burn. if you love your storm, you will fall in love the Ursa.

Thanks POWslash. What I like about the Ursa Major is the shallower sidecut (10 m on 126 cm of edge). With the Storm's rocker-flat-rocker profile I like the ease of pivoting and smearing turns when necessary. Greg told me the Ursa Major just has a little camber, so hopefully, with its early rise tip and tails, it can still pivot and smear fairly easily-I would miss this ability if it was gone-but I still like to make arcs as well-the Storm can do both. I do expect the slight underfoot camber to improve skinning a little-the Storm does not skin quite as well as a cambered board (but I do not find skinning on the Storm to be a problem, one just has to apply good technique). Love that Ursa Major nose shape as well.