Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Web Developer splitters..Forest Service job in MT!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:16 am 

I saw this posting on usajobs.gov for a web designer for the Forest Service based out of Kalispell, MT. :drool:

http://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/311697800

It looks to be a sweet job. Unfortunately, I'm a network engineer and this spot is out of my focus.

You have til' 4/12 to complete the application. Feel free to reach out to me on how to apply for federal jobs.

Applying for fed jobs can be tricky, but easy enough once you know the game.

good luck to whomever! :thumpsup:

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

Post subject: Re: Web Developer splitters..Forest Service job in MT!!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:03 am 

How much does the 10-point preference system skew things? Do you think this position will advance beyond GS-9? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:35 am 

Stuka, Well...the lower pay grade may work in your favor in regards to the 10 point system. I wouldn't worry too much about a vet snagging that spot, but who knows. Coming from the private sector can suck. I was lucky enough to have an "in", but even then I took a freekin 40k+ pay hit just to get in. I tell ya what though..3 years down the road, and I get 4wks paid ditto that in sick, and the ability to take up to a calendar month of unpaid leave off. :thatrocks: Plus, 4 day weekends every other week(maxi-flex work schedule). Plus, I'm pretty damn sure within in the next year, or 2. I'll be working from home exclusively. You can see how the benefits add up quick.

That job won't advance past it's highest grade unless the FS opens up another spot. It's only money. I have friends who make a grip more than me, but who gives a sh!t. I get to split, fish, and not worry about some type A nerdy douche freeking about something being down.

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:02 pm 

Thanks for the tip on the job and the insights on working for the gov, splitrippin. It would be a bit of a pay cut but I've been interested in that region for many years now. I may just have to apply and if it works out, I'll send you a bottle of scotch. :thumpsup: