Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mini Karakoram review
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:04 pm 

Does the OP really need to be attacked because their experience/opinion is different than your own?

Much better response from Russman, especially considering some of the heated debates we've seen along these lines in the past...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:08 pm 

Hmmm this progressed differently then I expected, I am sorry BGnight, I did not mean to offend you, or your loyalty to Karakorum, I was just passing on my experience, and hoping to hear back from others. I wanted to know if I was the only one having some of these issues, or if i was widespread. As for this only being my second post, I try to spend most of my time in the mountains, avoiding forums as they seem to never get yo any ware, I thought i would try, and well i would like to thank everyone that provided quality feedback. The only way we can produce better products in the future is to talk about likes and dislikes, and work out a common, and progressive ground.

I will try shimming the toe piece to see if that helps, and will continue to enjoy the mountains on them, as they are a great product (albeit some minor flaws)

Thanks again for all the informative feedback here, now turn your computer off and go make some turns.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:37 pm 

aksltxlt wrote:
Fart!

Well played sir!

OK, again I have been sucked into this... can't resist so here we go...

[sweetblog] I read these posts because I'm shortly going to be in the market for some new split gear, binders are on my list. I'm getting beyond frustrated because every time someone posts anything remotely negative about the Karakorum stuff and other products, a handful of fan-boys jump in and bash the review/complaint/reviewer. Now sometimes this is partially justified, other times people are just being assholes. I usually know what the products do well, the manufacturers typically cover that on their websites. I come to splitboard.com to see what other folks say, and what might not work as advertised.

Here is my take on it as a potential customer for Karakorum, Spark, Voile, etc... If negative feedback is stifled, it hurts the product in several ways. I know some of you think you are defending the product by slamming the OP by saying "mine don't do that, you're doing it wrong" and occasionally other stuff like "nice phony review" etc... But to me you are hurting the product.

The primary way stifling negative feedback hurts a product is that it can keep good feedback from getting back to the manufacturer and to new customers. Very few if any products are perfect, and a complex splitboard interface is definitely going to have quirks. The more that people on here dog-pile those that post negative reviews or complaints, the fewer people will post those reviews and complaints. On the surface this sounds good, but dig deeper and you'll see the reality.

Another way this hurts the product is, as a consumer, if I don't see some of the negative reviews and read about the quirks, there is a good chance that I will buy the product and in the process of learning of these quirks and issues on my own be let down, and then speak negative of the product. "It should be perfect, all those bro-brah gnar-core super-shredder fan-boys raved about this, I'm just some half-ass hack, how could this be? I got screwed! Time to bitch!" On the other hand, if the negative reviews and quirks are easy to find and read, and I buy the product anyway, I knew what I was getting into. I'm less likely to bash the product if I bought it knowing the quirks. At that point, my bad, shame on me, live and learn...

So can y'all do me a favor? When folks post a review of a product that you may not agree with, can you please not bash the poster, and figure out a more polite way to say "mine works great for me in the conditions I ride in" and then maybe describe those conditions and how you like to ride? That way I can see who's review is more like what I may encounter in my journeys.

Enough with the dick-waving and butt-licking. Tell me where you ride, what the snow is typically like, and what works well and what doesn't. Anything beyond that is wasted space. [/sweetblog]

Thanks,
UB

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:01 pm 

Unruly Baker wrote:
So can y'all do me a favor? When folks post a review of a product that you may not agree with, can you please not bash the poster, and figure out a more polite way to say "mine works great for me in the conditions I ride in" and then maybe describe those conditions and how you like to ride? That way I can see who's review is more like what I may encounter in my journeys.

:thumbsup: Well said.....

and let's just say that "tact" is not a skill we are born will....it's learned....and some of us are slower learners than others. :)

When it doubt, TAKE THE HIGH ROAD! :thatrocks:

tact (takt) noun -
adroitness and sensitivity in dealing with others or with difficult issues

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:17 pm 

It sounds to me like an adjustment issue. If the toe piece is not lined up right, or the center pin has interference, or the fit is too tight, stuff will be really hard to fit together with any snow build up at all. The only problems I have had with ice have been when the day starts warm then gets cold. I need to do some scraping on my first transition. But it is not too hard because everything is flat. Generally after that, quick and easy. It is snow and temp dependent. Using a puck system you have the same problems.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:37 pm 

sdmarkus wrote:
Much better response from Russman, especially considering some of the heated debates we've seen along these lines in the past...

:roll:

zerodog wrote:
It sounds to me like an adjustment issue.

+1

My initial setup (@ home) I had problems getting the pin to line up too, but with the fine adjustments and realizing when you lock into ride mode the pins are actually suppose to "pull" the binding down closer to the board, compressing the "rubber bumpers" on the bottom of the binding, there should be no reason it won't work in the field.

One suggestion, (@home) try locking the binding down before you snap your clips shut and try vice versa and see if there is any difference in how the interface locks down.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:25 pm 

Unruly Baker wrote:
I'm getting beyond frustrated because every time someone posts anything remotely negative about the Karakorum stuff and other products, a handful of fan-boys jump in and bash the review/complaint/reviewer.

Exactly. If I end up digging my K's it will be despite their rabid defenders, not because of them. It's sort of dicey to ask a question around here for fear of getting your head bit off.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:21 am 

Look, I don't give a shit if someone has a problem or opinion on their gear. I own tons of gear people might not like. I could care less. These are just fucking bindings. I'm not attacking anyone having problems with their gear.

I'm just calling bullshit as I see it. If I'm wrong I'm an asshole. If I'm right I'm still a dick but I'm ok with that.
If you're not seeing what I'm seeing then you don't understand where I'm coming from.

ok bye

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:31 pm 

BGnight wrote:
Look, I don't give a shit if someone has a problem or opinion on their gear. I own tons of gear people might not like. I could care less. These are just fucking bindings. I'm not attacking anyone having problems with their gear.

and that's why you've responded to every K thread on this board and blamed the user for all of the problems?
Takes a lot of time to do that if you don't give a shit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:31 am 

I have been riding the K bindings all season, and I love them, but I will admit that I have had to shim the hole that locks the forward facing pin in place. I used a small file that I sharpen my crampons with. Just enlarging the hole slightly has made the transition a lot smoother. I also experimented with spraying a little non-stick cooking spray on the base plate to help with deicing and that seems to work pretty well. No doubt getting your system dialed in at home is key as well.