Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mini Karakoram review
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:21 am 

This is just my experience with the binding, I would like to here from others as well:

Pros:

-Light
-New
-Feels strong while touring
-Can change over without removing the bindings
-Easy to put into touring mode

Cons:

-Hard to put into ride mode
-Ice, These bindings are terrible with ice, impossible to use, and hard, very hard to clean
-Snow, They must be completely clean of snow to use
-Toe piece is off, 80% of the time the pin does not line up, making it hard to lock, especial when on a ridge or exposed area.

Final review:

I do enjoy the binding, when it works perfectly (20% of the time) they are incredible and would recommend them to anyone. Switching to tour mode is fast and easy. Unfortunately when you want to put them to ride mode the game changes, They are hard to use it can get frustrating when you are in an exposed spot and the wind is blowing. I trust this issue will be fixed in the newer models. They are perfect for simple touring in simple terrain, with perfect weather, I can not however recommend them to be used for big mountain stuff as of yet.

I would like to hear others thoughts o this.

Post subject: Re: Mini Karakoram review
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:20 am 

so they are "incredible" but "impossible to use" and you recommend them to "anyone" but only on "simple terrain"... :scratch:

My thoughts?:
Do less of this before switching to ride mode>> :doobie: and don't recommend anything before figuring out how to use it

"hard, very hard to clean" :lol: :bananas: :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:06 pm 

Like i said, just my opinion, I have used them 20+ times so far, and am basing this off of 10+ years of using the volie setup. Maybe i am missing something, but hey, its only my opinion.

I guess you like them which is sweet.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:33 pm 

First post on this forum (besides selling something) bashing a product with very vague and suspect claims about icing, snow clogging, and toe pieces not lining up (W/e.T.F. that means) seems strange to me.
Maybe if you gave some more descriptive details about how this product only works "20%" of the time for someone with supposed, extensive splitboarding experience then I might be able to give your review any sort of credibility. As a user of this product and knowing people who have tons of days on this product I find your negative claims to be the OPPOSITE of my experience and others.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:19 pm 

Exposed, windy ridges are tricky for transitions regardless of binding brand. Also, binding forum.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:37 pm 

BGnight wrote:
toe pieces not lining up (W/e.T.F. that means).

I think I know what that means. It's when the forward locking pin passes over the top of the slot it is supposed to engage on the toe base plate rather than locking into the toe base plate. Mine do this too. Supposedly you can shim the base plate up. I may try this, or I will just bend the tab.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:05 pm 

yeah i bent the tab a little from the start. mine works fine. i thought he was talking about where the axle sits in toe piece or something.

"making it hard to lock, especial when on a ridge or exposed area."
apparently different terrain features affect the pin engagement too :P

This review has a very less than objective feel to it in how it's written. I dunno weird maybe it's just me. Could be Nigerians!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:16 pm 

I sort of get his point there too. When it's sunny and calm I am fine messing around with balky gear, but when wind-driven graupel is shooting into every gap in my hood, I lose some of my philosophical disposition and just want to get the transition done.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:29 pm 

If your plates are mounted correctly from the beginning a monkey could put this thing together in a blizzard in less than 30 seconds. I had trouble my very first time engaging the pin in the field cuz the bottom of the board was hulled. Russ showed me you just have to give the board a quick thump with your heel to get it flush. Since then it's fine and I don't have to do this. I've had same problem on the puck system with the board being hulled in the field due to ice or w/e and not being able to slide the binding over the pucks too.

If you gave a choice on whether to transition to ride mode with K'rams or Voile pucks in cold windy/icy blizzard conditions and my life depended on my quickness I'd bet my life on my K'rams.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:01 pm 

Fart!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:16 am 

Interesting. Yeah it can be difficult to transition in exposed icy conditions. I've got many hundreds of days on the system, and the primary reason for difficulty going into ride mode is because snow and ice are blocking the seam from coming into plane. A simple tap on the base of the toe side ski pushes it all into plane. Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:44 am 

I thought i would have problems with snow and ice clogging these bad boys up when transitioning, but i have had ZERO problems, even in deep powder.

It's worth getting them setup really well at home before you use them (like any gear really!).

I just love the act you can go from ride to tour WITHOUT taking the bindings off your boots. :bananas:

Every skier i have toured with has commented on the rapid transition time, and that's nothing to do with me, just the ease of use of the bindings.

No complaints here, i just hope the karakorams last!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:35 am 

I was a little concerned initially as well, but I haven't had any issues - the problem of snow packing up in front of or in the grooves of the slider plates for the voile pucks has given me far more grief (slide binding on, hammer with hand, pull off, remove snow, scrape snow, try again, repeat) than the K's...

If there is too much snow in the wrong place it won't latch, but if there is snow in the pucks or bindings on the voile system it won't slide in far enough for the pin to fit... It's also far easier to see when that's happening on the K's, and far easier to remove the snow or ice than from the puck/slider system.

I've played with switching over without taking my boots out of the bindings, it felt awkward, but it's possible.. I think it's faster to remove the boots though, and less frustrating!

Looks like the Edison will share similar fast/ease of transition properties, pretty stoked to see the progression in binding tech moving so fast!