Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2012-2013 spark deeluxe xv boot.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:57 am 

I've used last year model the whole season. I'm usually on Salomon malamutes.

Don't forget that the sole is pretty thick for snowboard boots, it can become problematic with your bindings/straps...

While it was a real pain to break them, those are the best snowboard boots I've ever had for walking - they feel like (real) mountain shoes with vibram sole

They're also great for splitboarding (stiff laterally but not really stiff on flex).

I've used crampons (Petzl Vasak) a few times and while it was ok for what I was doing (no ice climbing here), I felt the Salomon malamutes (that are much stiffer!) were better at this, especially going straight up in an icy couloir.

Overall, I love them for the backcountry but I still use my malamutes at the resort.

A good point is that after a huge season, they seem to properly handle the abuse and look barely used - that was not the case with the malamutes or driver x that were to be replaced nearly each season if I used them in the backcountry...

This year I got a new pair of the XV model - the real improvement is the crampons Heel Welt - beside that the boot is pretty similar - if you don't need the Heel Welt and can still get last year model for 1/2 price, go for it... This year model price went up and is nearly 400 EUR in Europe - it starts to be really expensive for a pair of snowboard boots...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:34 pm 

I've been using these the Spark XVs all summer and already a lot this fall\winter. I've got a question for the guys that are already using this boot: What crampons are you using? Recently my climbing partner and I went on a mixed ice\snow climb, and being the first time I pulled out my crampons (BD sabretooths and cyborgs) I found neither of them fit into the heel welt of the Spark boot. I do intend on using them for vertical ice climbing as most of the climbing I do is a ski in\ski out approach.
I ended up using la sportiva spantiks for the 2 hour approach and ride down. They actually fit into my splitboard bindings very well and besides the ankle support it wasn't a bad ride. I totally second the notion that La sportiva should make a backcountry snowboarding boot!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:11 am 

I've been using the Grivel G12s without any issues. Climbed vertical ice in them as well.

These boots are as good as it gets without switching to a hard boot setup.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:35 pm 

Does anyone have any comparison on the sizing of these or the Spark TF boots compared to say a Burton Ion or Nike Lunarendors... would like to get some boots specifically for splitting so I don't destroy my regular in-bounds boots that much quicker... Unfortunately noone around me carries these that I've found.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:04 pm 

They fit really weird. I have the Spark TF, so they should be comparable to the XV. I normally wear 8.5 (K2 or Burton), and ended up with size 9 (or 27) for the Spark. But I still didn't like Deeluxe's liners, so I swapped them out with my old liners from K2. Anyway, it's a mess. If you ever be in Bozeman, you should try them on at World Board. But I know it's a long drive from Missoula.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:34 am 

Thanks for the heads up! WB is a mandatory stop everytime I roll through Bozeman. Good dudes in there for sure! Just need to figure out how to get a tour of Sparks facility now..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:29 am 

I wouldn't buy these without trying them on first. I needed a larger size than I normally do. Also, the issue of fit with regards to your binding is significant. My size 12s only fit in my Spark Burners after some modifications. It is a very large boot, meaning that it takes up more space than any others you may use. Don't expect to jump right onto your board w/o modifying your bindings. This is annoying if you like the option of using different boots with your split set up.

They are indeed a superior mountain boot however and crampons mount just fine.