Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: K2 Panoramic splitboard 2011/2012
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:31 am 

Here's some info on the new K2 Panoramic split ! :thatrocks:

SEATTLE (WINTER 2011-12) – K2 Snowboarding was borne in America’s Pacific Northwest mountains in 1987. This season, the brand goes deeper into the backcountry with the new Panoramic split board. K2’s first split board is fortified with an indestructible, lightweight Bambooyah Blend core that comes with a 2-year warranty. Bambooyah features a bamboo-ply construction similar to a skateboard deck with crazy durability yet delivers pop and energy like no other.

The Panoramic’s top-sheet is made with snow-shedding Ptex to minimize weight on ascents and is balanced with All-Terrain Rocker (slight early lift in the tip and flat underfoot) that allows for a natural gait on ascents, floats in pow and slays crud on the way down. The board comes with K2-exclusive pre-cut skins featuring proprietary Z-Clips that can be easily attached and detached on the go.

K2 PANORAMIC TOP TIER FEATURES:
• All Terrain Rocker® for float and power
• Bambooyah™ Blend for float, power and control
• Hybrilight™ for responsiveness at a minimal weight

The Panoramic complements K2’s new Backside series of packs, shovels, probes and skins that make getting to and out of the backcountry a little bit smarter, safer and more fun.

ABOUT K2 SNOWBOARDING
K2 Snowboarding was raised in the backcountry of Mt. Baker. From the beginning, our goal has been to create original concepts and technology that drives snowboarding forward. Today we continue to innovate and progress the sport from the backcountry to the parks…and everything in between. For more information visit http://www.k2snowboarding.com

Post subject: Re: K2 Panoramic splitboard 2011/2012
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:44 pm 

slick unit, really liking those skins!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:19 pm 

Interesting that each of the models is tapered except for the 168, which is wider at the tail than the shovel.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:51 am 

Taylor wrote:
Interesting that each of the models is tapered except for the 168, which is wider at the tail than the shovel.

is there anyway thats a mis-print? the 8 could have been a 6 witch would 9 mm taper? Shit I hope it is a f*ck up! I have one ordered and the sound of a wider tail doesn't make me stoked :scratch: maybe i can sort this out with the sales rep in my area...he's the guy who got mine ordered before the 12 or so out there were gone!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:25 am 

168 Max? :? hmmmm Looks like a nice board...if you're not too large of a dude (even if wide etc). Last season I was sinking on a 173 board at times kicking myself for not taking the 187 so these seem a bit on the short side esp for people who spend a lot of time hunting for pow. Anywaway, good luck to them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:07 am 

SerreChe wrote:
168 Max? :? hmmmm Looks like a nice board...if you're not too large of a dude (even if wide etc).

Yeah, the snowboard industry reminds me of the ski industry a decade ago - in the days of parabolic skis: The vast majority of boards offered have lots of side-cut and are less than 170 cm long.

The integrated skin attachment system on this deck looks really elegant. Good innovation for which K2 deserves props. With tip and tail attachments, I wonder if the skins are glue-free?

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:15 am 

Can you get it with inserts for the Korakoram system? Does the korakoram system require a different hole pattern?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:38 pm 

Splityheaven wrote:
Can you get it with inserts for the Korakoram system? Does the korakoram system require a different hole pattern?

Insert pattern is the same for K bindings

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:11 pm 

What I don't get.....

K2 could have KILLED it 10 years ago releasing this board in 2001. I remember the K2 Clicker Interface being so steezy and forfront everywhere you looked ; and you could buy snowboard specific aggressive crampons! The K2 catalog even had a guy climbing vertical ice on a glacier with his Eldorado strapped to his pack, with ice tools and crampons. Splitboard release was RIPE back then! Man I would have killed for a K2 splitboard when I was 17!

Seems lame to me that they release it now, after everybody else is doing it. Not to mention that its produced in China. Also, I got to fondle the board at SIA, its not that light. In fact its heavy... Thats it that's all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:49 am 

Better late then never. Why bash them for bringing inovation to the sport we all love! The way I see it...10 years ago it would have been a heavier, stiffer, less user friendly version. Rocker and camber combo's, gluless skins... none of that shit was around back then.....not to mention a full kit for $900! If I had any of this type of stuff when I was 17 (20 yrs ago) you could be riding one of my pro models! :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:30 am 

I'm interested in this board. I was actually just talking about it this weekend. Looks like a lot of thought went into it and a lot of their back country ski tech and knowledge was brought to bear. One good thing about a company that does both I suppose.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:26 pm 

Good to hear these positive comments as just put the cash down to reserve a Panoramic for my first split: seemed a good buy and my old K2 FatBob was bomb proof for many years.

Anyone any thoughts on sizing as K2's chart is pretty vague...? Both the guys in the store were experienced splitters but had opposing opinions on a 162 or 168... I'm 95kg (210 for the imperialists) and ride a 162 Clyde in the trees and picked up a 166 Supermodel last year to replace the FatBob, but do find it could be a little shorter.

Russman: after my clickers failed catastrophically on a run I am sooo glad they went the way of the dinosaur.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:18 pm 

Bond, if I were you, I'd go 168. You have to remember that your BC gear is going to add some additional weight, so the extra float will be helpful. Water, skins, shovels, food, extra clothes -it all adds up.

P.S.-Step in bindings are crap.