Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trimming skins
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:59 pm 

Any good post on trimming skins. Just not sure the exact "right way" to do it.... trim both sides, inside edge only, outside edge only, etc.

I have the Voile skins.

Sorry in advance for the dumb question. :)

Post subject: Re: Trimming skins
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:52 pm 

I did mine last year for the first time and I just mainly followed the instructions given with the voile skins. Just take your time, its pretty easy. The end result is just the edge showing on both sides of your ski with the skin on, no base showing. And cut the skin at the tail so that the skin is under the point of contact when you set the board on a table, if that makes any sense...that is if your not using tail clips. I made my skin match at the ends when folded over as well, but skins wont match up perfectly glue to glue.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:01 pm 

Also plastic letter openers make a good trim tool.

Karakouram Split30s
2010 mutes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:18 pm 

Good advice. I have the trim tool that comes with the Voile skins. The straight edge looks like it wouldn't need trimming, but do people find that it does?

Anyway, I'm pumped to get these trimmed and get out touring and riding. Just need a little more snow in Central/Northern Colorado.

Got the Prior Kyber + Spark R&D Burner LT system. Feels great and super light.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:58 pm 

Not sure what you mean by straight edge? Do you have the voile trim instructions? They are online as well I think.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:58 am 

CO_Bucs wrote:
Good advice. I have the trim tool that comes with the Voile skins. The straight edge looks like it wouldn't need trimming, but do people find that it does?

Anyway, I'm pumped to get these trimmed and get out touring and riding. Just need a little more snow in Central/Northern Colorado.

Got the Prior Kyber + Spark R&D Burner LT system. Feels great and super light.

Hey I think I know what you mean now. You don't have to trim the side thats on the straight Inside edge of your board. The way to do it is put the skins on the board, line the side up with the straight edge, but leave the width of the metal edge that wraps around the bottom of the inside edge of the board,( that should be like 2mm?) then trim with your tool on the curved edge side by running it along the length of the board. Take the skin off and reposition it another width of the bottom of the board edge width, and cut once more. (tool cuts best when you keep the glue clear from it). When you put the skin on again, you should have the skin covering all the base of the board(where it can) with just the silver of the edges showing on each side.

Sounds like you have the same board and binders as me, you will love that Kyhber. Haven't used the bindings yet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:28 am 

Line up the skin to the edge to find out if the straight edge is truely straight. If necessary, make the adjustments to the straight edge using the trim tool. Realign the skin so a bit of base is showing past the edge on the straight edge. I shoot for a little less than 2x the width of the edge. Try and go wide on the trimming that way you can test it on the hill to see if you need a little more edge. The trimming tool works perfectly fine and it's really easy.

There's a chance that your straight edge may not be perfecto so it's never bad to double check before you start your other trimming.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:55 pm 

Thanks for all your help, guys. Did it this afternoon and ended up looking alright. One skin is longer than the other, but the longer one is just a centimeter or two longer than the running/effective edge. So not biggie.

I put the taffata strips on too, do they just make the skins easier to pull apart before putting them on the board?

Good tips and thanks again for your help. :bow:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:24 pm 

Better too long I guess, you can shorten but you cant add.

The strips I think are just for making an easier pull apart. I didn't put mine on, but I trimmed the Voile cheat sheet mesh things to fit the skins, and that makes it super easy to pull apart. But its one little extra thing to fiddle with I guess.

Happy Splitting :doobie:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:57 am 

Hey, one other tip that I have found, especially with brand new skins... Whether you're storing them at home or out in the field, if you roll up the skin lightly, so that the 'hair' side is next to the glue, it's simple to pull them apart. (Rather than storing them 'glue to glue'.)

I've been wondering if this eventually effects the stickiness of the glue, or if skin 'hair' sticks to the glue, but this hasn't been the case. After a little while, I start going 'glue to glue', after some of the extreme stickiness wears off.

http://www.splitboardeducationcompany.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:57 am 

Yeah, I trimmed the cheat sheets, too. Do you guys use the cheat sheets in the field, or just for storage at home in the closet? The cheat sheets make it easy easier to pull apart.

KGN: We have the exact same setup right (Khyber + Burner LT)? Sick! I'm thinking about getting the K-clips, but not until I go a few times and feel things out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:54 pm 

I never got cheat sheets with my skins. I just fold each skin into itself, glue to glue, where each end just meets in the center of the overall length (so I'd have the tip loop meet with my tail clip). I think this is the easiest way to get them undone outside when the glue is fresh and still very strong. Sometimes the glue is so strong that you need the muscles in both arms pulling away from each other to get it done. This kinda gets the chest muscles involved too so it makes a pretty big difference. Otherwise you're pulling apart a really long length of skin where one arm is holding the end of the skin fully extended (which means no muscle action) while the other arm is doing all the tugging.

If I'm doing storage I could reuse the paper that came with the skin had I not thrown it away or I'd go out and get a roll of parchment or wax paper. Unroll paper, place skins on paper, cut paper down the middle, roll up, and store.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:00 pm 

Yeah we have the same stuff it seems, I didn't get the LT thing though. I don't think you'll need the fancy clips either, but you can try it out. Let me know how it goes. I may try the LT at some point.

I use the cheat sheet when Im touring, makes it extra easy to pull apart. Either way you'll be fine. I saw somewhere in this forum some dude who trimmed the cheat sheets, then stitched the outside all around so it wont fray and come apart, which it will if you use it a lot. Thats a bit much for me though :wink: