Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FJORDS OF NORWAY
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:55 am 

We are planning a trip for 3 weeks to the fjords in April. Finding it difficult finding online information as most sites are not in english. Have found several friendly folks with guiding outfits in norway, but would like to hear some personal experiences with touring among the fjords...

any info would be rad:)

chuck

Post subject: Re: FJORDS OF NORWAY
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:43 am 

you seen this?

http://www.lyngen.name/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:44 am 

Where are you going? I currently live in Sunnmøre and touring here is fantastic, very nice mountains and usually a lot of snow. In april you can get both powder and summer slush. The weather here is really unstable. I'll be happy to answer questions you might have :)

\\Håvard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:13 am 

"fjords" is a bit vague - our entire coastline is pretty much made up of fjords.... If you have specific questions I'm sure me and others can chime in with some answers.

Basically, Norway is good for Splitboarding.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:56 am 

Two years ago me and some friends drove to Norway over the weekend. After having driven all night we woke up at a truck stop, looked around, picked a mountain and started skinning.

We spent the weekend touring around Orsta and Volda. Would it have been better with a guide? maybe, but eventough we just went poking around ourself we got really, really good riding.

My advice is to just look at some maps and find some area that looks promising and go. Ask here or on friflyt.no (?) for beta.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:08 pm 

This is an off-topic response as I haven't been splitboarding in Norway. But I kayakcamped for several nights in Naeroyfjord for my honeymoon. "Nordic Ventures" was the outfit who supplied our gear and ran a shuttle. They did a professional job, treated us well, and would be a good resource to suggest snowtouring options. Some routes up out of fjords to glaciers can be seen in these photos (July), but they would be brushy and desperate any time of the year. You probably want to be up higher, out of the fjords, if you want to go splitboarding. The canyoneering potential looked epic. Everything is expensive.
Bonus Iceland photo:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:16 pm 

Nesse wrote:
Where are you going? I currently live in Sunnmøre and touring here is fantastic, very nice mountains and usually a lot of snow. In april you can get both powder and summer slush. The weather here is really unstable. I'll be happy to answer questions you might have :)

\\Håvard

Havard,

Thanks for the response, as for the location, we plan on being out for 3 weeks, haven't really committed to any exact locations yet. the recommendations we are getting so far:
Romsdalen
Lofoten
Lyngen
sunnmore
stryn
sognefjord

A major concern now is the conditions come April, it seems Norway's snowpack to this point is similar to ours here in Colorado: below average/thin. How does the upcoming forecast look, are things projected to get better? Should we wait til next year or would you locals say that by April things will of improved?

chuck

thank you all for help

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:19 pm 

I didnt mean for the previous post to be for Havard's eyes only so ill repost...

first thing is first we need to decide if this is the year to come.. see below...so any comments would be awesome

A major concern now is the conditions come April, it seems Norway's snowpack to this point is similar to ours here in Colorado: below average/thin. How does the upcoming forecast look, are things projected to get better? Should we wait til next year or would you locals say that by April things will of improved?

chuck

thank you all for help

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:55 am 

cmcquade wrote:
Nesse wrote:

\\Håvard

Havard,

Thanks for the response, as for the location, we plan on being out for 3 weeks, haven't really committed to any exact locations yet. the recommendations we are getting so far:
Romsdalen
Lofoten
Lyngen
sunnmore
stryn
sognefjord

chuck

thank you all for help

All the areas listed above are as good as it gets and can rival any mountain range in the world.most of them also gets loads of snow. In Norway, the storms usually come in from the west. hits the west norwegian mountains and dumps,leaving the eastern part kind of dry.

This year is a good snow year for the western part.my local resort had a 290cm snow cover a couple of days ago,and that will almost certainly increase,leaving a touring season that most likely will last to
the end of june.

Luckily for you all the areas listed are in the western part! In april (i consider this as one of the best months for touring) you should expect a thick snow cover,conditions will alternate between powder and spring snow. the weather is usually quite nice with a good chance of sun.the days will be long and you will have sun a bit into the evening!

Sogndal/Stryn/Sunnmøre/Romsdalen are neighbouring areas in the middle/northwestern part of Norway. Theres a big distance from these to Lyngen/Lofoten which is in the northern part.theres also a bit of distance between Lofoten/Lyngen.Lofoten might have the thinnest snowpack but seasonal varitions will occur,its super scenic though..

http://www.rundskuer.no/krpano/fossholt ... onten.html The sunnmøre alps.

Welcome!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:46 am 

I just posted a few vids om my vimeo page, in case you're interested.

Jolgrøhornet is a mellow mountain in the western part of Sunnmøre (pretty much bang in the middle of Møre og Romsdal)
http://vimeo.com/35432932

Togga is one of the classic touring mountains near Sogndal. Sogndal might not have the heaviest peaks, but more than makes up for that in skiable lines, steepness and ample amounts of stable snow:
http://vimeo.com/35519745