Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 100 Days In An RV This Winter...Tips
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:32 am 

Yoda wrote:
Great documentary project that may interest you and any others living in RVs/trailers for an extended period of time... http://www.23feet.org
You may get something out it, you may not, but either way Enjoy! :wink:

My wife and I were REALLY excited to watch this way back when we first heard about it. After all the awards and their tour we were then REALLY REALLY excited.

It ended up being pretty disappointing to us. Some neat characters (including Yosemite legend Ron Kauk) but the documentary is very short and not very well woven together. Still great to support people making movies but even before all the hype we had higher expectations.

As far as a generator goes I think it's a must if you're going to do any boondocking at all. This is how we plan to camp most of the time. Campsites that will be open in the winter in the mountains or valleys will be many fewer than in the summer. Not to mention neither of us have much interest in being packed onto asphalt with tons of other people... They aren't that expensive either usually it's a space issue more than anything.

I can't freakin' wait to get out there!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:58 am 

Quote:
My wife and I were REALLY excited

I hope you guys love each other ---- A LOT --- no matter how big you go that camper is gonna get small after a winter. Should be some fun tests before its over.

Quote:
if it does not already have a genny. you may want to look at getting one

+1 - will make a ton of difference for winter touring....you can get 4K cheap 1's brand new at home depot, sam's etc for ~ $250 - don't leave home without it... :twocents:

Quote:
IMHO a travel trailer(or any trailer for that matter) could be a real nightmare in winter driving conditions. Not sure what you drive, but something to think about...

I kinda disagree - especially if you tow a 5th wheel behind a 4wd pickup. Really hard to find a 4wd motor home and since your mission is winter - that could mean driving in shit conditions - again just my :twocents: . Also easy to disconnect & rally to town for supplies without the hassles of something big & bulky in snowy parking lots.

If $ is no object & all things were suited to a perfect setup....(again just my :twocents: ) I'd shoot for a 5th wheel toy hauler...load an el-cheapo bile in the back(so you don't have to endure long flat approaches to the goods). I'd definitely go 5th wheel though as a bumper pull is very pushy on downhill icy grades.

Seems like this could be a killer option:

1998 weekend warrior 5th wheel toy hauler MOVING MUST SELL!! - $5400 (east wenatchee)
Date: 2011-10-20, 3:46PM PDT
Reply to: see below [Errors when replying to ads?]
5400-MUST SELL MOVING IMMEDIATELY
30ft long
GREAT CONDITION!!!
-air cond.
-heater
-shower
-generator
-2 couches fold down to twin beds
-1 queen bed
-propane stove and heater
-propane/electrical fridge
must sell since we are moving to the big island
CALL 714 585 1557 IF INTERESTED

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

image 0
image 2
PostingID: 2660438010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:58 am 

lewmt wrote:
I hope you guys love each other ---- A LOT --- no matter how big you go that camper is gonna get small after a winter. Should be some fun tests before its over.

Haha sound advice. We got married on our 13th anniversary of dating and have known each other since middle school. Some how we're not sick of each other- yet! Even after daily 3 hour round trip commutes together, working together and generally spending far too much time together- including spending weekends sleeping in the back of our Yukon to ride. We have more fun than ever these days. We (I) just know waaaaaaay better now when to make myself scarce! Haha!

lewmt wrote:
Really hard to find a 4wd motor home and since your mission is winter - that could mean driving in shit conditions - again just my :twocents:

lewmt wrote:
Also easy to disconnect & rally to town for supplies without the hassles of something big & bulky in snowy parking lots.

The two points alone were pretty much what eliminated motorhomes for us. That and it's nice to have two completely separate systems, that is the truck and then the trailer, to maintain and fix. I know motorhomes are built on truck chassis but they are absolutely not two discrete systems once the RV manufacturer rolls them out.

lewmt wrote:
I'd shoot for a 5th wheel toy hauler...load an el-cheapo bile in the back(so you don't have to endure long flat approaches to the goods.

That would be absolutely badass! But I know nothing about snowmobiles nor does my wife so we'll have to learn that lesson the hard way I guess! :rock:

Here's to refining living the dream!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:59 pm 

i lived a winter in fernie in a motorhome, but we were stationary. we had it skirted with wood from the local dump, and then built an 8x16 lean-to up against the side of it, complete with carpet and a wood stove, lol. the wood heat kept it dried out and nice and toasty when we left the motorhome door open to the lean-to.

you might consider measuring up some 3/8 ply for a nice tight fitting skirt if you plan to be set up in one place for a few days at a time. keeping the wind out from under them helps, and if you think it out, you can break it down and strap the sheets to the roof for travel. also a heavy guage extension cord and an electric heater (i like the radiant ones with no fan) is a great idea. if it gets really cold on you, your propane bottles may need a blanket or some kind of insulation. nothing sucks worse than it being -25c and you cant light your furnace because the bottles wont put out enough pressure.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:48 pm 

libtechsplit wrote:
i lived a winter in fernie in a motorhome, but we were stationary. we had it skirted with wood from the local dump, and then built an 8x16 lean-to up against the side of it, complete with carpet and a wood stove, lol. the wood heat kept it dried out and nice and toasty when we left the motorhome door open to the lean-to.

you might consider measuring up some 3/8 ply for a nice tight fitting skirt if you plan to be set up in one place for a few days at a time. keeping the wind out from under them helps, and if you think it out, you can break it down and strap the sheets to the roof for travel. also a heavy guage extension cord and an electric heater (i like the radiant ones with no fan) is a great idea. if it gets really cold on you, your propane bottles may need a blanket or some kind of insulation. nothing sucks worse than it being -25c and you cant light your furnace because the bottles wont put out enough pressure.

That sounds like a pretty awesome setup! Did you use any of the plumbing of the rig?

I will absolutely be building a portable skirt. I am thinking about using insulating foam (higher R value) and then framing it together (for rigidity) and maybe facing that with something (for added durability).

Good tip about the propane bottles as well. I have been studying and drawing from my experience with cold weather to try to make things as livable and functional as possible in the cold with a travel trailer. There are LOTS of things to consider when trying to do so. I don't expect things to go perfectly! That's unrealistic! :bananas:

I just want to minimize the consequences of the inevitable fuck-ups, oversights and failures by covering the major systems and then going from there. :rock: It will certainly be an adventure. I expect a month of prep work once I get the damn thing! Including beefing up insulation as much as possible, heating the tanks and dump valves so we can use them as much as possible, adding additional storage, adding a generator and god knows what else. All of this without exceeding the trailer and truck's GVWR when we finally roll down the driveway!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:30 am 

no we didnt use any plumbing, just a rubbermaid container in the sink for washing dishes, and a 5 gallon water jug on the counter. we paid 800 bucks for 6 months at a campground, which bought us shower access and power. that made life pretty easy - except for it being 2 dogs and 2 dudes living in a 20ft motorhome , lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:56 am 

So when are you guys going to be around Terrace?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:35 pm 

Finally got the travel trailer and she is a beauty. Way nicer than we expected but it was a great value. It's a 2011 Zinger ZT19RDS made by CrossRoads RV. It's 19ft and although it's no truck camper or single axle pull along, it's plenty nimble and light. It should let us live on the road comfortably for half a year plus at a time but still not limit us too severely on where we can go with it.

Exterior Shot

Interior

Floorplan

Now to get her all ready for winter! We are so excited to see more of North America and meet lots of new people. Hope to see you guys out there! :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:38 pm 

Hikeforturns - We will be in Terrace beginning of March,can't wait they had 120cm dump a few days ago!

Aliasptr - Nice work,now go be smelly and freeze your asses off!

Been in the RV couple of weeks now and it took a bit of getting used to but have it dialled now,got that roll of insulation and covered most windows,also bought a small 3000w generator to run an electric heater off in the evenings for 2 hours,the toilet/shower turns into a perfect little drying room.
Livin the dream for sure :headbang:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:20 pm 

we'll have a shower for ya in whistler this week if you guys need it.