Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie question... how do you ride in powder.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:38 pm 

So Im new to this snowboarding thing, and therefore also new to the splitboarding thing. Ive been riding the resorts the last couple weekends and feeling more and more confident in my snowboarding ablities so today I went out back country for the first time.... WOH! HOW DO YOU RIDE THESE THINGS IN POWDER? I think my problem is I keep my wieght all on my front foot at the resort and steer with my back foot, kinda like a rudder. But when I tried this in the backcountry pow.... as is to be expected.... I didnt go anywhere because my nose was under 2 feet of snow. SO I try leaning back... BUT I CANT TURN!? Help me PLEASE. I still had a great time cartwheeling down the mountain, the snow was nice and soft, Id just like to look like slightly less of a retard next time.
-Barret

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:45 pm 

one word... SPEED!

when you feel like you're getting out of control, that's almost fast enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:57 pm 

When you are inbounds, most of the time you've got a bottom to the snow you are on, and you have a hard snow base to lever off of. Riding weight on your front foot is the norm there. Out of bounds/deep snow, speed is your friend. Also you need to stay loose/flexed and ride it like a surf board, weight back, lotsa steering with your back foot. Setting your bindings back will help with floating the nose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:20 pm 

When I'm in the powder, im thinking about leaning back, pulling my front leg up so my tip doesn't dig in and turning is slower in powder because like Jon says, you're turning it with your back foot, so the transitions aren't as quick as when you're stearing with your front foot. It does feel like surfing and floating and in the steeps, a little like skydiving!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:13 pm 

Cool thanks for the replies guys, seems like I had the rite idea just need to practice it more like anything else.
-Barret

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:03 am 

Barret,

Do you ride at Breck? I'd be happy to meet you at Breck sometime. I'm not an expert rider by any means, but I'd be more than happy to share some of the skills that were given to me by my friend when I was new. Having someone show me some basic skills has been very benneficial.

I'll be back from vacation Dec 2nd if interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:37 am 

What all these guys said!

1) Move your bindings back- This will help keep your weight on your tail and also help lessen leg fatigue.
2) Speed SPEED SPEED!

What size board are you using? How much do you weigh? If you are gonna ride a bunch of pow, have a board gear towards that will be worth it if you can afford it. Basically, a park board will suck in pow...you can make it work, but it will definately be harder than a longer wider freeride/pow board.....

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:57 pm 

Well, if you are trying to do this on your split, just moving your bindings back is not an easy option... You'll definitely need to spend more time on your technique to overcome the short nose taking a dive...

Weight back, centered over back foot. Think 60-75% body weight over back foot. Don't confuse weight back over leaning back though. It's possible to weight your back leg, pulling up your front foot, without completely leaning back. This will help keep your balance.

Another tip, much like the basic term "speed" is finess. When going down a steep hill in pow, you don't need to complete your turns. Less is more. Think smaller, subtle turns with less exagerated edging. If the snow is deep enough, you can control your speed by leaning back and doing a tail stand.

Anyway, just be glad you have the problem of powder, rather than the current Tahoe condtions ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:32 pm 

Barret wrote:
just need to practice it more like anything else.
-Barret

I would say that you should practice at the resort more before heading into the BC.

Two reason why:
You can get a hell of a lot more turns in at the resort in a day accelerating your learning curve.

Also, by doing some short hikes out of bounds at the resorts you can gradually introduce yourself to powder riding in a more controlled environment before you throw yourself into full on BC where there isn't as much room for error.
My 2 cents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:37 pm 

Im using a Prior Back country split 161. I weight around 155. I think the problem was mainly my wieght distribution. Thanks again for the advice.
-Barret

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 pm 

ReeferMadness wrote:
My 2 cents

...and you're entitled to it! :D

How was your intro to splitting on the Cascades finest?

Next time I go "Nordic" skiing on ice, I'm gonna leave the split at home and just bring PBR... :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:40 am 

huFfer wrote:
ReeferMadness wrote:
My 2 cents

How was your intro to splitting on the Cascades finest?

Next time I go "Nordic" skiing on ice, I'm gonna leave the split at home and just bring PBR... :evil:

overall i would say that it was pretty much full of suck. Somebody please make this high pressure system leave... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:43 am 

Setting your stance back can help with the nose dive and forward rolls. Leaning back will only get you so far, then you really start compromising your balance and turning ability. A lot comes down to keeping your speed up. Selecting the right length board, and riding boards with taper, elongated noses, or swallowtails will help a lot.

Read this, This guy should know.
http://www.winterstick.com/img/title_team.gif