Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2nd annual Canuck Splitfest presented by Prior
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:12 pm 

Definitely in for some pre-splitfest movie stoke

Jones 168w
TLT5
Custom Plates by Vapor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:06 am 

Only a few more days left - register before December 10th for a chance to win a free Prior hoodie - registration is free

http://www.splitboarders.ca/index.php?s ... gistration

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:49 pm 

Wow, I think this one is ramping up the stoke even more than the last. Anyone looking to go halves on a room? The current truck I've got is a little more 'ventilated' in the back than last years rolling accommodations.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:24 pm 

So the raffle is proving to be a nightmare. The Canuckistan government can't seem to keep it's rules and regulations out of the way. Somewhat ironically, it's not a large raffle license fee at $25 - it's the limitations on what can be done with the proceeds of the raffle - yes, the friendly folks insist on controlling what the donations from private companies can be used for when tickets are sold in a game of chance.

Some questions for you as attendees...

1) If the proceeds went to the CAF, but not the Craig Kelly fund, would you still be stoked? The Craig Kelly fund is setup to assist snowboarders in their training on the way to becoming certified guides. What if only BC residents were able to receive the proceeds of the Craig Kelly fund? (the government is awful protective of money it didn't earn, raise, or donate!)

2) What if proceeds went to the CAC (Canadian Avalanche Centre) - the man may not even permit this, still wrestling with red tape.

3) A silent auction (or a loud, fast talky real life auction) requires no raffle license and thus no interference from the man. Proceeds are free to go to directly to Craig Kelly fund/CAF. Would no raffle and an auction be a good setup? Does it eliminate some of the fun? Does the person with the most money win?

4) A raffle license is only required if tickets are sold - if we give them away, there is no need for a raffle license and again, no restrictions from the man on how proceeds are donated - so direct to Craig Kelly fund. The catch here is you'd have to pay admission to see the movie (or movies), otherwise we wouldn't raise any money, nor be able to cover insurance costs. Each person buying a movie admission gets one ticket. There is no ability to buy more than one. Prizes are then given away via a "raffle" format - no person can win more than once. Admission to the movie would need to be in the $40/person range. (Most people spent on average about $30 on raffle tickets last year - this year's prize pool is much larger and I think attendance will be up too)

I'd appreciate any feedback on this. I'd much rather be shredding powder and whatnot, but....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:03 am 

Admission ticket sounds like a good idea. keeps it simple and you get to say where the money goes.

thanks wade

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:41 am 

Admission ticket is a great work around, $40 bucks, popcorn and movies, everyone has an equal shot at the raffle.... I mean auction. Make the cost of each prize one ticket during the auction that just happens to be randomly picked.

Donations, how bout half and half for CAF and Craig Kelly, win win. Support the boarders but also support the CAF initiatives equally.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:15 am 

treepilot wrote:
So the raffle is proving to be a nightmare. The Canuckistan government can't seem to keep it's rules and regulations out of the way. Somewhat ironically, it's not a large raffle license fee at $25 - it's the limitations on what can be done with the proceeds of the raffle - yes, the friendly folks insist on controlling what the donations from private companies can be used for when tickets are sold in a game of chance.

Some questions for you as attendees...

1) If the proceeds went to the CAF, but not the Craig Kelly fund, would you still be stoked? The Craig Kelly fund is setup to assist snowboarders in their training on the way to becoming certified guides. What if only BC residents were able to receive the proceeds of the Craig Kelly fund? (the government is awful protective of money it didn't earn, raise, or donate!)

2) What if proceeds went to the CAC (Canadian Avalanche Centre) - the man may not even permit this, still wrestling with red tape.

3) A silent auction (or a loud, fast talky real life auction) requires no raffle license and thus no interference from the man. Proceeds are free to go to directly to Craig Kelly fund/CAF. Would no raffle and an auction be a good setup? Does it eliminate some of the fun? Does the person with the most money win?

4) A raffle license is only required if tickets are sold - if we give them away, there is no need for a raffle license and again, no restrictions from the man on how proceeds are donated - so direct to Craig Kelly fund. The catch here is you'd have to pay admission to see the movie (or movies), otherwise we wouldn't raise any money, nor be able to cover insurance costs. Each person buying a movie admission gets one ticket. There is no ability to buy more than one. Prizes are then given away via a "raffle" format - no person can win more than once. Admission to the movie would need to be in the $40/person range. (Most people spent on average about $30 on raffle tickets last year - this year's prize pool is much larger and I think attendance will be up too)

I'd appreciate any feedback on this. I'd much rather be shredding powder and whatnot, but....

our government never ceases to amaze me,

admission ticket

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:56 am 

Admission tickets to see movies and have all equal chances to win seems like a fair idea to me!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:20 pm 

I just bought my flight to the splitfest, stoked to go hobnob and check out the area.

Any of those options for the raffle is OK w/ me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:02 pm 

PowSlashingWigley wrote:
Hey Wade!
Thanks for clearing that up, that makes since, ha!
Hey just wondering, is Chimera going to be demoing any boards??? Man i really want to try one of those!
Can't wait, can't wait!!

Confirmed; we've got our tickets and will be there.

Stoked!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:37 am 

treepilot wrote:
Working on the itinerary - came across this advertised in the latest Backcountry Mag - http://www.backcountryfilmfestival.com/ ... etails.php

Films include:
Sweetgrass Productions “Solitaire” Best of Festival Award
Purple Orange presents “Chalk and Ski” Best Short Award
Powderwhore’s “Breaking Trail” Best of The Backcountry Award

40 Tribes Kyrgyzstan
Berber Turns
Ski Bums Never Die
Winters of My Life
Seasons; Winter
Bike, Ski, Raft Denali Traverse

Contemplating using this as a Friday night event

I had originally asked Wade to keep this under the radar but we will be having the North American premiere of our documentary FreeRider up at the festival. Looking forward to attending the event and sharing the skin track with like minded individuals!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:36 pm 

Room booked for the 6/7th. Revy and KH bookending the splitfest. :rock:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:02 pm 

Got my room booked for my trio! Super stoked to be back again this year, last year was such an awesome event. Stoked to see Kyles film and the others! Stokage keeps rising.

Tread light, Shred hard

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next