Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: G3 Alpinist Splitboard Skins video
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:31 am 

G3 has really stepped up their game this year for splitboarders with the release of their new Alpinist Splitboard Skins. They've improved upon the current offerings available to us and added a feature we've wanted for years (tail clips).

Check out the video below and please welcome G3 as an official splitboard.com sponsor! :thatrocks:

Get your G3 skins from backcountry.com
http://www.backcountry.com/g3-alpinist- ... ID=2315910

Post subject: Re: G3 Alpinist Splitboard Skins video
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:18 pm 

Picked mine up last week, can't wait to take them for a spin!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:33 pm 

From the video they seem to lay down really flat. Has anyone demoed them? I wonder why everything is "proprietary"?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:12 pm 

Picked mine up today, just got done trimming them which was super easy no repositioning the skins or anything. Solid attachment with the tip and tail hooks, skins lay real flat.

Heard the skins glide really well, hopefully they hook up on the climbs as good or better than my other skins, cant wait to try them out

Stoked on the design, thanks G3!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:06 am 

mar123 wrote:
Picked mine up today, just got done trimming them which was super easy no repositioning the skins or anything. Solid attachment with the tip and tail hooks, skins lay real flat.

Heard the skins glide really well, hopefully they hook up on the climbs as good or better than my other skins, cant wait to try them out

Stoked on the design, thanks G3!!

Care to post a weight & length? I am really considering picking up a pair of these for this season. G3 skins are great in that they arent as bulky and glide a bit better (my wife has them on her skis), and the glue is soooooooooooo much easier to pull apart. That is a big deal as pulling these ascensions apart on a cold day can be a major pain in the ass sometimes (tried the cheat sheets and they started to leave little pieces of plastic in the skin). Time will tell if they grip as well as the BD's. Lou Dawson seems to like them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:02 pm 

g3's got it goin on. we are carrying their full line this year and they have awesome products. the rutschblock cord they make is sick too! the rep was in the shop the other day giving a presentation on him, the owner, and one of their professional athletes skiing the haute route in france and sweden. they're a winner in my book.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:35 pm 

I have had a chance to look at these in person and they are definitely well-designed. When running your hand over the skin in the glide direction they are very smooth (as they should be). When running your hand over the skin in the direction of traction however they feel much less grabby than my Voiles (aka Black Diamond Ascensions).

The tip and tail attachments are nice because they fit a lot of boards but I think that in order to achieve this diversity they are going to be heavier than needed. I will be curious to see weight differences between the tail tip system that G3 is using and the tail clip system that Spark R&D has tested and will be releasing this year.

http://www.sparkrandd.com/products/tailclips/

I am going to be putting tail clips on my skins this year whether it's by purchasing a new set of skins, adding Spark tailclips, or DIY'ing my own solution. Wet snow and uber-cold conditions are a bitch and I just HATE having my skin tails flapping around limiting my climbing ability.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:35 am 

Might have to pick up a pair. Ascensions are awesome for steep ups but it sure would be nice to have something a little more malleable and glidier, while also save some weight. What can I say? Gear whore checking in...

Awesome to see companies filling in where needed in our small sector of the overall bc market.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:57 am 

took the G3's out yesterday for a test run here are my comments so far:

Starting out putting the skins on at the parking lot they felt to have a very solid attachment

Skinning up normal snow they were great, streamline and light!, When I got to the steeper/ firmer skintrack I felt like my Voile skins gripped better, towards the top I think I was on a bit of a slip track with light snow on a iced over track...so I think any skins would've been slipping here

At the switchover I noticed the G3 skins did not adhere as well when cold, compared to when I attached them at the parking lot, My Voile skins seem to adhere better at switch overs when they are cold and even when they have snow on them....Maybe the way to go with the G3's is to stuff them in your jacket during the ride down since they are less bulky then Voiles

At the switch over the G3 skins when cold the glue/skin becomes stiff compared to the Voile with Black Diamond glue stays soft allowing it to adhere better....also I think the BD glue does better when snow finds its way on the sticky side of the skin

My first impressions IMHO...will post another review after another couple tours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:17 pm 

Choices are good to have, but I am a bit leery of these skins. The folks I ride with (many tele and AT) who have G3s report that they do not have very good climbing grip, and I have seen this first hand. I have climbed many skin tracks with them where I could motor straight up a glazed track with my Black Diamond tractor skins with nary a slip and they were having to gingerly ease their weight around to get traction or would simply cut loose and have to switchback a new track because their G3s where not doing the job. You can climb a lot faster when you have confident, bomber grip and can just mash out a rhythm as opposed to pensively shuffling forward and praying. One of my friends who is a fanatical skier told me straight up that he preferred his BD skins to the G3s for all-out traction. For lower angle or longer tours, the glide and lighter weight of the G3s may be the ticket, but for cranking out spring laps on our local peak, I may stick with the BD tractor skins.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:01 pm 

Picked a pair up today. I'll be happy to revisit this thread once I'm on 'em a few times. The tip/tail system seems so rock solid thus far. Wondering why voile hasn't gotten on board with something like this yet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:30 pm 

I have a few tours on my G3 skins, so far so good, I've mostly been breaking trail in really deep powder, so Im sure any skin would work for that, but the tail clips hold on nicely when my buddies voile skins are flopping around like a wet noodle :thumpsup: