Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: question???...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:12 am 

ok so here's the deal.

i'm going on an another expedition this time to a remote icefield. where we will use kites to travel.
there's lots of potential for 1st descents.
as well as 1st ascents

me:
experienced splitboarder
moderate/advanced tele skier (i can get down it if i have to but i'm only turning 3 times as if i was on a board)
ice and rock climber
coffee drinker (this will be evident as you read the post)

this is going to be a shorter expedition (~3 weeks)

i will be traveling many miles with a kite. dragging a sled (this makes me lean toward skiing)

should i take skis or a board?? that is the question i pose to you

issues:

boots (i can wear my mountaineering boots in soft bindings or AT type binding on my board), this way i can climb easier, tele boots are a bit more difficult to climb with, but not really that bad. tele boots are colder.

dependability/compatibility: my partners will be on tele gear, so if i take a board i have to have a completely seperate repair kit (probably would be composed of a couple extra pins and some duct tape) i trust the voile system.

skinning if there is no wind we skin, across flats, tele definitely excels here. but i don't mind being on a board in these conditions.

Bonuses: if I take a split and it works out maybe it will get some more exposure and become more utilized in a mountaineering aspect. optimally i would like to wear my PMB's (although there actually 2 layer leather...plastic sucks for technical ice) have a step in type binding that has a highback on it (plus a ankle strap and the ability for the bindings to release in case of avy), a light(er) board that is rigid enough to bust crap snow

Note: can get skis from a sponsorship, and as much as i love my 172 voile it is a bit soft from a mountaineering perspective so i would need to buy another board (would be stoked on a mt gunn 170, or a winterstick if they have a form for someting other than a 160 seeing as they are associated with the US kiting scene as well)

what would you take??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:16 am 

Dude, split! End of story. What else did you expect from this site? While your at it, make sure you wear a sb.com t-shirt while riding all first decents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:18 am 

Well since I suck on teleski's I would go for the splitboard. They definitely do kite setups for snowboards. Plus, once you are there it sounds like you would have more fun on the descents. If you have new voile hardware, I doubt anything will break. Speed and keeping up with the tele-kooks would be my only real concern. I guess I would base that decision more on what the group is willing to put up with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:22 am 

Ecobrad wrote:
Dude, split! End of story. What else did you expect from this site? While your at it, make sure you wear a sb.com t-shirt while riding all first decents.

i would love to split, but the reality is that splitting and big mountain expedition type trips aren't exactly a perfect match yet, that's why i'm asking the breatheren what they think. basically i don't want to end up working (too) much harder for 3 weeks to keep up with my tele friends (although i'm lighter and taking a bigger kite so that should help...but don't tell them that!)

oh and is ok if i wear the shirt while drinking beers and trying to meet women who's language i do not speak?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:28 am 

Killclimbz wrote:
Speed and keeping up with the tele-kooks would be my only real concern. I guess I would base that decision more on what the group is willing to put up with.

i can keep up, that much i know plus i will have a couple of months skinning practice on them (i'm heading out this weekend).

so if i do take a board which do i take?
want light and strong, also need a long effective edge i'm 5'10 155# and ride a 172 would like to stay around the 170 size.
[shameless plug] does any company want to sponsor me for a board? if so let me know and i will send you our expedition pamphlet/flyer, list of other sponsors etc. [/shameless plug]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:28 am 

sweet double shot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:59 am 

I don't downhill ski (only uphill) so that wouldn't be an option for me, I would be on my splitboard no doubt.

Anyone can ski but it takes a special someone to splitboard…especially where you are going. Take the splitboard and make us proud!

As for sponsorship. Take the bull by the horns and trying contacting some companies direct. Ask about demo boards as opposed to a board you will keep.

Will there be a photographer on the trip? Any plans to submit an article for the trip (print or online)?

Re the kites. My friend reps the Ozone kites and he told me that some splitboard kiters actually use the split in ski mode for kiting (depending on distance and conditions).

Go luck bdub!!!

Ps. We'd be stoked to see your itinerary or brochure too. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:16 am 

hey bcr,
the more i think about it the more i'm feeling like splitting. i hadn't thought much about kiting with the board split, i will try it and see if it will work for me. if so...golden!! (oh, were using Ozone kites)

we will take loads of photos, i'm no pro, but occasionally get some good ones and i believe Sierra Designs used some of our photos from last years trip to China (see my web blog page from my pofile). we've got sponsors lined up, but i haven't asked any board companies if they would be interested, maybe it's time.

i would be happy to e-mail you or anyone else our flyer, not sure how i would post it and not certain it is appropriate for the board as it is aimed more towards egtting sponsors. so if anyone wants info on how to go about that process just hit me up and i will help out however i can

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:39 pm 

Plus...if you choose to tele you'd have to grow a beard, not shower, and listen to the dead. Can three telebeards fit in one tent?