Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: am i missing something?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:19 pm 

on every splitboard and splitboard binding mfg website all i see are quotes from "pro" athletes saying how this or that new product made their splitboard ride that much closer to their resort board....

Are splitboards really that different in the first place and do we want them to be like a resort board? my resort board is an old arbor woodie(now called the element), 32 boots, burton mission bidings. It rides fine and all, but i like my old mojo just as much and the new mojo rx way better than the arbor. The two chimera's i've been on have also ridden much better than the arbor. I don't ride resorts that much and have probably been on the arbor with normal boots and bindings 6 time in the past four years, but those six times I actually felt like i had less performance than with my hardboot split setups. agreed I could butter, wheelie, and mess around a lot more on the solid than the split, but i'm not doing that many nose butters when i'm touring.

maybe it's just me and i'm used to my fruit boot set up and powder lapping in the wasnatch, i just don't see what the big deal is. I would be way more stoked if companies were more focused on making improved specialized splitboard prodcuts i.e. releasability, splitboard specific boot and binding system, etc... rather than making what we have now ride like a resort board.
:twocents:

ps- it's summer, let the interweb equipment bullshitting begin. :wink:

Post subject: Re: am i missing something?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:39 am 

Most common response from people who see my ride is "does that thing even work?!" I think companies resort to comparing splits to solids to encourage new rider sales. :twocents:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:00 am 

wasatch surf wrote:
ps- it's summer, let the interweb equipment bullshitting begin. :wink:
You got that right!

I think most companies are so new to splitboarding that they don't even know how to use them, let alone market them. A lot of new "players" in the split biz. I think they on have one foot in the band-wagon and are waiting to bug at the first sight of trouble.

Personally I consider it a whole different sport. Lots of people can snowboard (most do it poorly). I have people I know (and used to ride with) say they want to come BC with me, I just kinda smile, nod and think to my self: Your gonna save my life out there? I'm fucked. Or Sorry bro I don't want the responsibility of telling family your dead.

BTW: you can still "Butter your Muffin" with Fruit Boots... I think its called "Scone-ing" :bananas:

DAMN SUMMER IS KILLING ME! I HAVE ALREADY STARTED RANTING!!!! :soapbox:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:45 am 

Damn, I thought this was gonna be a lost and found thread. I'm missing all kinds of stuff.

stll confused though.. is this for bashing manufactures, pro's who get split endorsments even though they spend more time on lifts and in heli's, or the age old hardboot vs soft boots?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:46 am 

and quit calling it a sport!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:32 pm 

Solid boards are still way better performing than splits. I love my new Winterstick but the few times I've ridden it in bounds in chopped pow it felt like a heavy, lumbering P.O.S. compared to w/e solid I usually ride. That's why the comparison. Nothing more. Splits do not and will never perform as well as solid boards. They can get closer and closer, but will never match them equally.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:08 pm 

Hehe...I really wanted to post on this thread even though I haven't thought of anything smart to say yet....

I ride better on my split, but if I had one without a seam down the middle of it, I'd probably ride that pretty well too. When will Voile start offering the RX in a solid? :scratch:

I'm kinda over my '08 Burton Custom X though...I need nose rocker to feel complete.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:42 pm 

What s it even like riding an area board any onger. I can t afford both so I only ride my Splitty's in and out of bounds? Am I missing something ?

Deep snow and surfin the blue blue, I dream.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:07 pm 

jbaysurfer wrote:
Hehe...I really wanted to post on this thread even though I haven't thought of anything smart to say yet....

I ride better on my split, but if I had one without a seam down the middle of it, I'd probably ride that pretty well too. When will Voile start offering the RX in a solid? :scratch:

They already do, its called a Burton Malolo....seriously... the specs are pretty darned close

Burton Malolo
BOARD SIZE 149cm 154cm 158cm 162cm 166cm
RUNNING LENGTH 1085mm 1130mm 1165mm 1205mm 1240mm
WAIST WIDTH 243mm 248mm 252mm 256mm 258mm
SIDECUT DEPTH 20mm 20.75mm 21.4mm 22.1mm 22.7mm
SIDECUT RADIUS 7.37m 7.7m 7.94m 8.22m 8.48m
STANCE WIDTH 505mm 505mm 530mm 560mm 560mm
NOSE WIDTH 293mm 299.5mm 304.8mm 310.2mm 313.4mm
TAIL WIDTH 273mm 279.5mm 284.8mm 290.2mm 293.4mm
EFFECTIVE EDGE 1125mm 1172.5mm 1207.5mm 1247.5mm 1282.5mm
STANCE LOCATION 50 50 50 50 50

Voile Mojo Rx
Length (cm) 154 161 166 171
Nose Width (cm) 30 30.7 31 31.1
Waist (cm) 25.0 25.5 25.7 25.9
Tail Width (cm) 28.1 28.7 29 29.1
Radius (m) 7.5 8.0 8.5 9.0
Taper (mm) 19 20 20 20
Effective Edge (cm)112 115.5 118 122.5
Insert Setback(cm) 3 3 3 3

I knew this offhand b/c I just scored a brand new 54 RX setup, skins and universal kit for $635 for my wife :headbang: and I knew the specs were virtually identical to her Malolo. Combined with the leftover Blazes we scored for next to nothing and she's got a full rockin' setup for less than the RX is new. I love the summer shopping season, helps keep my stoke going through the summer :clap:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:02 pm 

^ great info! Tks for sharing..saves me a lot of research!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:20 pm 

I wish boards in general were sized in millimeters, its far more accurate than the giant clumsy centimeter, and we all know that a whole two or three centimeters up in size constitutes a "big board" that can't possibly be turned. Likewise I firmly believe (for example) that minor genetic misalignment between ones iliopsoas and patellar plane need micro changes in board length to get optimum performance. I'm hoping to have all my gear (including socks and boxers) fully spec'd and dyno'd in a wind tunnel come next season and I'll be undergoing extensive surgeries to align my entire body for precise riding, because it just isn't fun to just go out and go down a hill on snow. I cant believe its taken me thirty years to realize snowboards and associated gear are hopeless pieces of junk. Can anyone spare a xanax, I need a moment.... :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:40 pm 

jbaysurfer wrote:
^ great info! Tks for sharing..saves me a lot of research!

Be careful what you wish for, I've had a Malolo '62 for years ('05 cambered, 3D, not ICS) and I've learned to hate it, just not the right shape for me. It's in great physical shape, just don't like the amount of taper. But if you know you like the Rx already, then go for it. My wife wasn't a fan until she got the one with nose rocker, now she rides it any time an inch falls - callin' pow day, lol. So I know she'll like the Rx.

If you're interested I was going to sell the 62 when I got around to it if you want a cheap alternative.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:26 pm 

Riding a split in bounds in chopped up pow is like towing behind a ski boat into the wind on a windy day on a well shaped 7'2 pipe gun on a cold lake somewhere after drinking a 6 pack and concluding that the board sucks.

Actually riding an anything in bounds in chopped up pow is like towing behind a ski boat into the wind on a windy day on a well shaped 7'2 pipe gun on a cold lake somewhere after drinking a 6 pack and concluding that the board sucks.

Except maybe a pair of skis. Skis were fun in bumps

[additional deleted codger-isms]