Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Svalbard?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:32 am 

Not to take anything away from this guy, but...

"I spentthe last seasonstraining at my home resort and around the globe evolving myself from a big mountain snowboarder into a stylish, smooth and consistent telemark skier. I want to be clear: I am and I will always be a snowboarder, deep in my heart. My trick is to climb giants, 7-8000 meter peaks, and ride them down. But I like to defy myself. Since the beginning of this gamble the goal, in my mind, was at the same time simple to imagine and difficult to achieve: to become the best telemark skier I had ever seen.Or, at least, one of the best in the rack."

GIving up snowboarding for TELEMARKING?!?!

Definitely a cool place though. Make sure you guys take lots of pics when you go, we need a good TR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:04 pm 

I've got friends in Oslo that would be glad to host three or four dirtbags on lay overs. If I remember right he's done research in Svalbard and could help you out with logistics as well. Let me know if your serious about next year and I'll make some calls.

I don't have the funds or hall pass to do that trip the way in needs to be done.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:29 am 

Mr. Jones and Mr. Haakonsen are up there working on what should be a pretty spectacular TR. Hopefully we will get to see some of the B roll between now
and the "Further" release.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:10 am 

^ Its not fair! :banghead:

Looking forward to the footy. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:14 am 

No worries... HFT.. you keep knockin' out dem babeeeeez, and we'll be there in a couple years. Crew is 3... we need one more.

We just need to get there before the damn footy comes out....

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:42 pm 

I've been there once, but not to split. Would love to fix that.....

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:57 pm 

http://blog.jonessnowboards.com/2011/05/further-first-look-the-arctic-circle/

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:31 pm 

At related link was brought to my attention earlier this season. Looks like a lot of options. Be ready to burn some time mind surfing.

http://www.lyngen.name/

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:37 am 

I saw an add in National Geographic Adventure mag. They do boat tours to this place so people can see polar bears. Thats going to really screw up a glacier camping split trip. here you are 'roughing it" and a boat with 80-100 tourist decides to drop anchor half a mile away.

Hopefully good snow is the opposite season that good bear watching

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:58 pm 

Had some polar bear funtime in Greenland. a bit disconcerting! Before we left, our logistics guys were talking us through the pepper spray, the 4 types of marine flares, the rape alarm perimeter fence and the rifle with the hollow point rounds, saying "you won't need any of this, though. You'd be very unlucky to see a bear, chances are less than one percent."

4 days in, I looked out of the tent door, Bear about 100 yards from the tent, coming straight for us. Couple of pen flares did nothing to faze Mr Bear, he just kept coming. Next up was the pistol flare, which I landed right by him, and he broke away into a run for 10 seconds, then slowed to an amble, looking back at us. Couple of rifle rounds over his head and he hurried off down the valley.

Then he just lolled about in the sunshine for ages, rolling in the snow, about a kilometer away. Seemed he knew the range of everything we were firing at him! Then he started back up towards us, more boomstick, off again, more lolling, back towards us again, more boomstick.

This was over the course of a few hours, and it was a beautiful day. We wanted to get up something, but we didn't want to get up and watch Mr Bear tear our tents up, looking for the tins of mackerel fillets in hot chilli oil (they had pull rings, he'd have been straight in with a deft flick of a claw!)

We got kitted up for touring, each of us packing heat of some sort, and started moving towards him, couple more rounds when we were a bit closer, then waited and watched while he headed off up to a col. we headed up to where we could see his tracks to see if he was good and gone, and he was. had a good run down the newly named "Bear Face", and had a slightly less good night's sleep that night!

When we got back to the airstrip at the end of the trip, the guys said "You were so lucky to see a bear, chances are less than 2 percent!" we were the second group in 20 years and 170 expeditions they'd done the logistics for who'd encountered a bear, so we'd just doubled the stats!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:01 pm 

3,000 bears on those islands, though!?! I wonder how you work round that? Rolling watches during the night?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:47 pm 

Quote:
3,000 bears on those islands, though!?! I wonder how you work round that? Rolling watches during the night?

Pay the way for someone you dont like then dress them in a porkchop suit and send them off into the night

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:17 pm 

Crazy story. Im guessing in the North Face flick that they were far enough inland that Bears arent much of an issue? (speculating here) I cant imagine there is much food to keep a bears interest in those parts. Not to say they couldnt smell your food from 20 miles away and come searching.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next