All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

free bird
Sucks 54%  54%  [ 7 ]
Good 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject: Re: burton freebird?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:33 pm 

Burtonbreck wrote:
...... they continue to make the best snowboarding gear in the world. Do yourself a favor and give it a try!

Bullcrap. Burton does NOT make the best gear on the market. Most of their profits go to bling, pro rider paychecks, and their multi million dollar yearly catalog. Not functional innovation of mountain tools.

The Freebird is light and soft because it has a super thin core profile, and despite what Burton claims about their "Infinite Ride Program", their boards noodle out just like their boots do. My Jones board has 100+ days on it by now, and I'm betting it has at least another 100 days of life left.

The Venture people make an amazing product that is exceptionally durable. If you call or email them, you actually talk to the owners, and you'll find them to put a ton of effort into developing a personal relationship with you. In other words they actually want to get to know you and learn about what kind of board would best suite your personality and riding style. Also, if you ever were to have warranty issues, they are a small and passionate company and will help you out without questions. Not like Burton, who will just say "we are Burton... Hail us and buy another iteration of the noodle".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:25 pm 

Own a 2005 S165 that still going strong. You clowns are full of shit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:48 pm 

the quastion wos : is burton freebird a good board vote.

every budy make a diskusion ..... bla bla . burton wos in the beginning a littel brand and goes bigger - every labil wants to go bigger ( not POGO ).

Plaese come all down to earth, an talk about the bord....

burton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:07 pm 

I didn't mean to be a Spanker... (that's equivalent to a hater if you don't play hockey).

I voted no, the Venture's are much, much stronger boards and will last you a long time. Well worth the money in the long run. Freebird is a cool shape but construction and durability are more important.

I like Burton (el hombre Alemania), but I don't care to much for Burton Snowboards

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:37 pm 

I have no loyalty to any brand. Some on this board do , just because a particular board is made in their home state?

I do like to give credit where credit is due

Burton, Sims, Barfoot--they invented snowboards. Taper, sidecut sintered bottoms rocker camber ect are all ideas taken fron the ski world, surf and skate and applied to snow to have what we have today.

Voile-Inovative enough to put money behind a funky little Idea a guy from Michigan had and now look where we are today.

The others? - Some good, some bad, but not very much inovations, only copying what was already there.

Untill you put up your own cash into something that may or may not play out then you really dont understand

You think Jake Burton got so rich because he coppies others ? No- he took a chance. with his own cash

Now about the original poll

The freebird, yes or no

I would say YES. based on the other Burton splits I have ridden .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:41 pm 

I have a Burton S-Series 168 which will be my first and last Burton snowboard...EVER. Love the boots, binders and gear just not the boards.

IMHO it's been a great entry-level splitboard, but nothing close to the caliber of snowboards I have ridden in my lengthy snowboarding career. :wink: Perhaps my expectations are too high and a split will never perform similarly to a high-end solid board or perhaps my Burton s-series is an absolute POS and almost anything else would be an upgrade. Realistically it rides pretty good in the pow as you would hope, but on lengthy tours, critical sidehills and when bombing variable conditions I'd swear I was ridding a polished turd :twocents:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:51 pm 

I thanks everbody for there opion, Yeah I'm just goin to throw my money on a venture, I liked what everbody said about sopproting your local companys and how its more personal. Nothing personal, I've always hated burton and like everbody said I didn't mind there bindings, I just wanted some opoins on the freebird. I've also been diggin the new wintersticks so I'm also goin to be checking them out. Thanks again!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:38 am 

Good work on deciding on a Venture! If you are based in Co no need to look outside our state for a split! Venture, Unity, NS and wagner is making the Wintersticks in TRide!

Ventures have been my boards of choice since my first pow lap on the rocker. Nice to be able to hand your $$$ to someone who is out there riding as well! Buying from a small local company is what keeps the soul of what we are doing alive!

I'm sure the freebird is nice... but $$$ isn't everything! Quality and durability are sometimes worth a few more $$$

:rock:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:43 am 

[quote="PedroDelfuego"]Burt Fuckton....

Good shape but that's about it. Burton is about new stuff and planned obsolescence. Meaning every year they have something cool you didn't know you needed. quote]

very well put... I have the Malolo with the first year channel, I had to butcher a pair of Flows to work with it. The following year, when Flow was going to make a disc that would work, Burton changed the channel and the shape of the hardware.. WHY? to fuck people into buying ALL their shit. Now I have a first year malolo, that I cannot attach bindings to in the way they were intended. Flow got their shit together for the second gen, but if you have the first, yer fucked.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:39 pm 

270boarderman wrote:
I'm just goin to throw my money on a venture

I think you will be pleased with the Venture. Get the Storm if you can, and get the correct width for you as they have multiple to chose from.

A. Always
B. Buy
C. Colorado

:thumpsup:

And I am a Colorado shill... Just like Swiss people are a shill for great watches!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:21 pm 

I had the rare chance to see, touch, feel the newst models of Prior, Venture, Jones and Voile all side by side. Same sizes. Thats the first time I have seen that many splits in one place. After feeling what was there, based on what I like ina board I would choose as fllows

Jones
Prior ( all shapes)
Voile
Venture

I like some flex ina board. Everytime I have riddeen a stiff board , I felt more like I had to drive the board rather than ride the board.

However if I had the money I would have two boards. Stiff, flexless heavy boards are great in steep icy couloirs