Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: O'Neill Jones Jacket/Pants Material 20K/15K
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:04 am 

I had the chance to check out the O'Neill Jones jacket and pants and I was totally surprised to see that they are only 20K waterproof/15K breathability? I know that he has been designing everything with recycled materals and that is a great thing but I just have a tough time believing that they are sending him anywhere in the snow he rides and tours in anything but 3L Pro Gore-tex or eVent? Any thoughts anyone?

As far as the quality, the material seems pretty bomber and the fit is great. In particular I really liked when the jacket was zipped up all the way, the collar in front of your mouth has small vent holes which is a great idea. The pants didn't have any big pockets which I find are handy at the resort when you aren't carrying a backpack but considering these were designed by Jones, resort riding isn't exactly where he spends most of his time so it makes sense. There are fully taped seams everywhere and a lot of options for venting on the jacket which may be why the breathability of the material didn't need to be so high. From watching Deeper it looks like that is what he is wearing but what are the chances they hook him up with eVent or gore-tex and everyone else gets 20K/15K? Let the conspiracy theories begin! ha.....

The price tag is up there with comparable Gore-tex and eVent jackets so maybe the material is just that good but when I saw that 20K/15K rating I just can't wrap my head around it. After making the switch to gore-tex or eVent would you go back to anything less than 25K/25K? I'm interested because I want some bling pants…ha….I got a great deal on a Westcomb eVent jacket last year but the only colour available was black so I would like some colour on the lower half and my 2L gore-tex Special Blend pants don’t have much life left in them so that is why I was looking at the Jones pants.