Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: becarefull with Mammut rescue equippment
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:52 am 

Hi guys!
Couple of moths ago I bought at backountry.com a Mammut package including a Freeride 25 backpack, alugator light shovel, 2.40 light probe and a Pulse Barrivox tranciver.
First day using the backpack under a heavy snow the backpack start to leak the red ink over mi pants. Thats not important but I didn't like it.
The real problem start later, the first time I used the Shovel and the Probe!
I Went to a course of Avalanche prevention and rescue. During the practice, the Coach (a french guide of the French mountaniering asociation) took my probe put it in the snow to search for a victim and broke it!!
After that, I Start to digging in the snow to continue the searching and I broke the handle of the shovel!

Thanks God that was just a practice!
The tranciver works very good, but the rest of the equippment.........
Take care.
Javier.

Post subject: Re: becarefull with Mammut rescue equippment
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:24 am 

I almost bought that same pack at the backcountry store in truckee, glad I didnt! I did however buy an Ortovox pack off of steep n cheep and the pack was faulty. And the Ortovox Rep sucks. I dont know who maks a great BC pack ,but I would like to support an American company with a quality product

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:39 am 

G3 probes can suck too. A weld broke on mine putting it together for practice, and the other probe was buried under a bunch of ice in the other backpack that I was trying to dig up (good learning I guess). I can't find another model that looks more solidly constructed.

On the plus side, as far as I can tell, the voile shovels are really good... strong, light, cheap, and nice to use.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:21 pm 

aksltxlt wrote:
I dont know who maks a great BC pack ,but I would like to support an American company with a quality product
Deuter Freerider 30 has been good to me so far. Also like the Osprey Kode 30. It was a toss up between the two

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:06 am 

Mountain Smith packs for me. I have the Lookout and its perfect for 2-3 day trips with snowboard carry.

As for other BC gear, I only use Black Diamond, avalung, shovel, probe,

then a pieps beacon.

Quality is second to none with black diamond. I have been practicing a lot with beacon searches and shovel techniques this early season and All my black diamond gear is bomb proof.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:06 am 

Mountain Smith packs for me. I have the Lookout and its perfect for 2-3 day trips with snowboard carry.

As for other BC gear, I only use Black Diamond, avalung, shovel, probe,

then a pieps beacon.

Quality is second to none with black diamond. I have been practicing a lot with beacon searches and shovel techniques this early season and All my black diamond gear is bomb proof.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:27 am 

aksltxlt wrote:
I almost bought that same pack at the backcountry store in truckee, glad I didnt! I did however buy an Ortovox pack off of steep n cheep and the pack was faulty. And the Ortovox Rep sucks. I dont know who maks a great BC pack ,but I would like to support an American company with a quality product

I had to return my Blackdiamond Outlaw because of a broken zipper and stitching coming out. Still have yet to get my replacement pack from BD.

Since I needed a pack, I got a BCA Stash BC pack. It works really well. Nearly identical to the outlaw except that it comes with a hydration bladder and insulated hose. It also has a great way to carry your helmet on the back which is a really great thing. Keeps the snow out while hiking. I highly recommend this pack. Only draw-backs so far: Velcro lower strap for snowboard attachment (I wish this was an other buckle strap like the top one and no Avalung).

BCA is in Boulder CO (however, pack made in China)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:29 pm 

Thanx for the warning.
I'm looking for a probe and will probly go w/ ortovox 240, a good combo of cheap light & durable;I hope

+1 on Voile shovels, I have a 22 year old tele pro thats still going strong and I've even dug out stuck cars and icy driveways with it(time for a new blade), plus I can still get spare parts if any part of it does break.

I love my dakine heli for slack country, low mielage but no issues so far.

Just bought a Quicksilver T.Rice 24L cheap, It has a lot of features and seems well thought out but Haven't had it out yet so not sure if it'll equal the dakine for durability. Anybody else used one? interested in your thoughts.

Still have an older ortovox f1 beeper so I'm due an upgrade in tech there too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:59 pm 

aksltxlt wrote:
I dont know who maks a great BC pack ,but I would like to support an American company with a quality product

Osprey Kode series, really good quality with a lifetime warranty. It is a "us" company, but of course like everything textile they're not made here anymore.

I've been VERY happy with my BD probe and voile shovel, lots of practice with both and they've held up great.

http://www.chair2boardsports.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:51 am 

good to know. I use BCA for my probe, shovel, and tracker. I really am stoked on Mountain Hardware packs. They are light, strong and are compatible with ice axes, and mountaineering equipment for the most part. Dakines are sick too, bomber, but the majority of their line is focused on slack country and side country stuff it seems. Great for day hikes or outta bounds stuff, but for the real deal use a mountain pack.