Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gear for sharpening edges...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:53 pm 

I've been poking around on Tognar.com looking at tuning gear.

Does anyone recommend a good edge sharpener or have any experience with the ones listed here?
http://tognar.com/bevel_edge_base_side_steel_tools_guides_ski_snowboard.html

Post subject: Re: Gear for sharpening edges...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:43 pm 

I would recommend purchasing a quality large fine tooth bastard file, diamond stone, Gummy Stone, a wire brush, Swix snowboard vise. Also purchase the base bevel and side bevel. The bevels should allow you to clamp or use a spring clamp to clamp the file or the stone. The reason is you want to easily unclamp the file and clean it with the wire brush.

Whereas a prefab good edge sharpener has a small aggressive tooth file, which is difficult to clean and takes off to much metal. The exception might be what Tongar is selling on their website. (ask them).

I cannot recommend what bevel angles to use for splitboarding, since I am relatively new to splitboard, but have been freecarving since the early nineties. I currently I am using a 1 degree bevel for both base and side bevels.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:38 pm 

What do you think of the Multi-edge tool? Are they worse than the fixed angle guides? It seems it would be more affordable to get the adjustable one but I'm curious if there is a drawback I'm not aware of.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:41 pm 

I prefer the fixed angle guides (bevel guides) to Multi-edge tool, for reasons stated before a large fine tooth file is easier to clean and clamp to a "fixed angle guides". It is more efficient to slightly unclamp the file and expose a clean portion of the file and continue sharpening the edge

Most cheaper end Multi-edge tool are hard to take out the file and clean the filings out. So you end up pressing the metal filings into the base. if the tool is not cleaned out. Guides and clamps allow you to use both a large file and stones with the guides. Running a stone with a guide really puts a nice sharp finish on the edge. Also the large file is used to flatten the base to eliminate highs and lows between the edges.

The exception to all of this is if you ride a Jones' Magne-Traction board, then a multi-tool (probably their specific Jones multi-tool) is needed.

I like to tune my edges wicked sharp. So both a file and a stone are needed. If you just want some maintenance, then a multi-tool edge sharpener (fine tooth file) is fine. Looking at the Tongar page, they do have some nicer Multi-edge tools. But if you want to tune for wicked sharp edges, then use afile, stone and guides. Use the right tool(s). I would ask Tongar for their advice about thier multi-tool(s)

Hint Old Racer's trick to find burrs. Place the tail board/ski on the floor and hold vertically at a 60 to 70 degree angle and drop a pantyhose stocking on the edge. Where the edge catches the stocking is a burr. I leave up to you to figure out how come up with a pair of panty hose stockings :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:10 pm 

Cool. Thanks for the tips. Good info.