Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Helmet Cam
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:10 pm 

Can I get some feedback on good Helmet Cams? What should I look for? I'm not looking to invest a lot, but what is worth paying for? How much weight makes a difference on your helmet/shoulder? What recording time do I need, is small with an easy on off better or is record everything and not worrying about on and off worth it? What designs keep snow off the lenses so I don't have to worry about getting home and seeing snow covered lens? What works with transferring to a computer? What is easiest software to edit the footage? Sorry for the number of questions but if you have an opinion on any of them I would appreciate you responding.

Post subject: Re: Helmet Cam
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:51 pm 

http://www.feedthehabit.com/outdoors/the-definitive-gopro-pov-video-camera-review/
http://www.nsmb.com/3193-vholdr-contour-hd-mounting-options/

I've used the contour a lot snowboarding and it's awesome. I don't know any camera technical jargon but those 2 seem to be the best options out there. for joe blow like us, you will never notice a difference probably. I think the go-pro might have a few more mounting options.

-weight: not noticable.
-recording time: 8gb card is more than you will ever fill up in 3 days
-snow on lens is not a problem unless you are in a storm of sloppy messy stuff
-plug it in with usb to transfer to computer
-software: get a mac and use imovie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:53 am 

I have just started using the go pro hd wide. The images are really good, specially in sunny outdoor conditions. Very good colours and sharpness, and easy to operate. If you spray ourself and get snow on the lens it wont get stuck there for long. The wide angle makes it easy to aim, and stabilizes the shot a lot. Only thing is the effect of fisheye making slopes look less steep. Other than that Wilkez here got it right.

Yeah, and they're pretty cheap too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:59 am 

I would echo these comments. I have the contour 1080. Having a good computer will go along way with editing. Mine is pretty fast and its barely enough to not be choppy at full res. I don't know about software. I used adobe premiere elements and it was a pain in the ass. Its an old version though. I may go back to windows movie maker eventhough its really limited. I think I prefer the mount of the contour over the gopro. Both are comparable on video speed and quality. I wish the contour had an on the fly exposure adjustment. Also the contours microphone is pretty worthless.

If money and weight aren't an object the videos from the canon dslrs like the 7D are above and beyond.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:05 am 

I've used three different helmet cams.

1. Epic
2. GoPro
3. GoPro HD

Of these three I found the GoPro HD to be the best. I base this decision on three factors. 1. Image quality, 2. Battery life, 3. "mountability"

Epic: The battery life on the Epic in winter time was piss poor, the image quality was sub-par, and the mountability was mediocre (the plastic attachment broke after a couple uses

GoPro: Battery life was good, but the image quality was mediocre due to the fact it didn't have a fisheye lens

GoPro HD: Battery life is good for a day or two of non-continuous use, image quality is acceptable for posting online, and the fisheye lens captures a LOT of action.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:21 pm 

Pulled the trigger on the contour HD (720 not 1080). Still playing around. The updated firmware for the 720 to allow you make adjustments like the 1080 was realitively easy. All I have is a couple of test videos. Seems pretty good. The software is pretty limited. (save parts at either full speed or half speed) If someone has some tips let me know. Looks like the first action will be mountain biking not boarding but I'm sure I'll get some footage this spring on a splitboard.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:08 am 

stevenroymallory wrote:
Pulled the trigger on the contour HD (720 not 1080). Still playing around. The updated firmware for the 720 to allow you make adjustments like the 1080 was realitively easy. All I have is a couple of test videos. Seems pretty good. The software is pretty limited. (save parts at either full speed or half speed) If someone has some tips let me know. Looks like the first action will be mountain biking not boarding but I'm sure I'll get some footage this spring on a splitboard.

I didn't even know it came with editing software - it probably sucks balls. I have a mac so I use imovie which is awesome, but other people I know just use windows movie maker or whatever comes free with your comp. There's no need to go spend money on fancy editing stuff, both of those have enough features to throw together a 3 minute movie with some tunes and good riding. have fun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:47 pm 

Apparently .mov files are not supported by Windows Movie Maker.

But Found
http://media-convert.com/

it seems to work pretty well.