Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deuter Freerider 30L vs. Osprey Kode 30L
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:49 pm 

Opinions, reviews on these new packs.
The EH Guide isn't going to work for me so I will replace it with something else and both of these look to be what I am after. Have checked out the Kode 30 in stores, might go check out the Freerider tomorrow.

Post subject: Re: Deuter Freerider 30L vs. Osprey Kode 30L
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:23 pm 

Punky - I'm surprised you got a EH Guide. That's an awesome climbing and ski touring pack, but it's limited for splitboarding applications IMHO. I think it's a smart move to get a new pack.

I took a close look at the Kode 30 and man that pack is nearly equal in features and design against the Freerider Pro. You're basically splittin hairs between those two packs. The FP even has the same "wet pocket" & "dry pocket" separation, but Deuter doesn't market it as such. I do like the helmet holder better on the Deuter pack for more than one reason.

I'd mentioned some of the stand out features of the FP in another thread and I'm now convinced that the ones really going for Deuter are the women's version option, the pivoting waistbelt and the removable bivy pad. Everything else is basically identical to the Kode. Personally you can't go wrong with either brand. I'd base your purchase on fit and carrying comfort. Build quality is equal... both are mfg in Vietnam.

As far as insulating yor hydration tube... Deuter offers a really cool insulated hose cover verses it being built into the pack like on the Kode, so it's down to personal preference about having it built in or not. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:53 pm 

Alright thanks for the reply Yoda.

Ill check out the other thread again, seeing that is what made me bring up this.

About the EH Guide, I got it mixed up with the smaller EH bag that can carry a solid and snowshoes :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:23 am 

I bought a Deuter last night. It is coming in the mail. I was pretty much hellbent on buying the Kode 30L, but as I searched the internet for an available one, I began to see a lot of negative reviews. It's true, the pack is heavier. But I guess we'll see when I use it this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:34 pm 

solidbored wrote:
I bought a Deuter last night. It is coming in the mail. I was pretty much hellbent on buying the Kode 30L, but as I searched the internet for an available one, I began to see a lot of negative reviews. It's true, the pack is heavier. But I guess we'll see when I use it this weekend.

I think you're going to like the Deuter. Did you get the pro version or standard? I would assume you got the pro version if you were worried about the pack being "heavier". If you got the pro version make sure to give the back-panel access zippers a little break-in period. Actually if you pull up & out or push up & in on the zipper tabs it allows the zipper to open like butter around the corners, but if you lay it flat then it sticks when going around the corners. The stickiness will go away after some use, but when it's new it good to know about this little zipper trick.

If your worried about the extra 12oz of weight verses the Kode 30 (size M) you can make the pack a little lighter if you remove the bivy pad and the ice-axe loops. The cool thing is the bivy pad does not act (double) as the back-panel material so you don't loose support when it's removed. There are also separate loops that allow for poles when in ride mode, so no real need for the ice-axe loops unless it's necessary. Hope you like the pack... I dig mine! :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:58 pm 

Thanks. I have the pro. I used it today for the first time at jay peak. I am still getting used to it and feel like the info card was not entirely helpful.

For instance, I didn't ever see that bivy sac in the description. I didn't know, actually STILL don't know, what it's for. Also does it matter like where I put the probe, beacon and shovel, in all those inside pockets (are there designates pockets)?

I should also ask, is the barrier between the wet side and dry side waterproof? And how big a hydration reservoir can this pack take? That info was not listed.

Thanks again!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:31 pm 

solidbored wrote:
Thanks. I have the pro. I used it today for the first time at jay peak. I am still getting used to it and feel like the info card was not entirely helpful.

For instance, I didn't ever see that bivy sac in the description. I didn't know, actually STILL don't know, what it's for. Also does it matter like where I put the probe, beacon and shovel, in all those inside pockets (are there designates pockets)?

I should also ask, is the barrier between the wet side and dry side waterproof? And how big a hydration reservoir can this pack take? That info was not listed.

Thanks again!!!
Good feedback on the hangtag. I'll let Deuter know.

The bivy is a small foam pad, not a sack. It's found on the inside of the pack against the back-panel. You can access it via the velcro slot at the top of the panel. The bivy pad is great for sitting on while taking a lunch break or kneeling on when digging a snow pit.

There entire front pocket is dedicated for carrying avy gear. There is a dedicated tube slot in the front pocket designed to hold your probe & shovel handle. The entire front pocket is for the shovel blade. There's also a pocket in there for your skins and zippered mesh pockets for other items.

The front pocket is not deemed waterproof, but the fabric it's built with is waterproof and will not allow water or moisture to transfer to the inner compartment. The only reason it's not deemed a waterproof pocket is the seams aren't glued or bonded.

The pack can handle up to a 3ltr (100oz) reservoir. :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:44 am 

Okay, thanks. Know about the foam pad, which IMO is really difficult to remove. I sort of don't even want to try because I am afraid I would not be able to replace it

However, there was another item. It is a large white vinyl bag. It says Deuter on it, and it has a small hole that will allow you to presumably inflate it with air and then seal the hole. At first I thought this was something to do with avalanche survival, but now I'm not so sure. It doesn't pack very well and thus takes up a lot of space in the pack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:49 pm 

solidbored wrote:
Okay, thanks. Know about the foam pad, which IMO is really difficult to remove. I sort of don't even want to try because I am afraid I would not be able to replace it

However, there was another item. It is a large white vinyl bag. It says Deuter on it, and it has a small hole that will allow you to presumably inflate it with air and then seal the hole. At first I thought this was something to do with avalanche survival, but now I'm not so sure. It doesn't pack very well and thus takes up a lot of space in the pack
Too funny! :lol: That white inflatable bag is for store display purposes. It not part of the pack. Whoever you bought it from forgot to remove it before they sold the pack to you.

I can't understand why you had difficulty removing the bivy pad. Mine slides in & out with ease. The only crux is pulling it out from under the top lip or flipping it back under it, but I've never had to fight it. It does make it easier to remove when accessing it from the back-pannel access verses through the main compartment... especially if the pack is loaded. If you don't see yourself using it then ditch it.

I've heard that the bivy pad can also be used for a splint with some tape or cord which is kinda cool. Good luck with the pack! :wink: