Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wild things alpinist bibs
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:17 pm 

Anyone here have any experience with pants from Wild Thinggs, specifically the Alpinist Bibs. I'm just wondering if they're suitable for boarding as far as the cuff fit over boots and the durability of the butt and knees. I've e-mailed the compant and they seem hestitant to recommend these pants for other than hiking/climbing even though they list them for touring/skiing and I've seen several reviews by skiers recommending these pants. Any thoughts or recommendations for other Gore or event bibs?

Post subject: Re: wild things alpinist bibs
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:28 pm 

While neither Gore or eVent I love my Patagonia bibs, work great for splitn, ice climbing, winter mountaineering, etc... Mine aren't the current Stretch Element, but they are similar construction. Full hardshell below the waistline and softshell above, full side zips, built in gaiter, fits fine over my Malamutes if I use them in-bounds, completely bombr. Love them, but would never pay MSRP for them, or any other bib for that matter. :twocents:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:01 pm 

I'm on Vancouver Island so moisture is always a factor, that's the reason I'm pretty set on Gore or Event pants. My only "local" source for Patagonia is MEC and I didn't find any bibs on there. The bibs from Wild Things are currently 40% off, at $195 that's a pretty good price for Event bibs, IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:18 am 

Nisseman wrote:
The bibs from Wild Things are currently 40% off, at $195 that's a pretty good price for Event bibs, IMO.

Definitely! I don't have any personal experience with Wild Things products but they seem to be well received on cascadeclimbers.com. Good luck in your search.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:20 am 

These look like nice bibs. My only concern would be the cuffs, as they have some sort of elastic and I wonder how well they would fit over snowboard boots.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:26 pm 

That's one of my concerns for sure, but they are being used by skiers and I don't know about all the other boarders out there but my snowboard boots aren't any wider at the top than my ski boots. In the end it's just not worth ordering and returning pants from across the border just to try them out. I was really hoping someone would have had some first hand experience with them, but so far it's not looking like anyone on the forum has tried them out.