Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I need new climbing skins...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:29 pm 

So, I finally wore out my climbing skins. They are older Burton skins that use the tail and tip notches.
So, I checked out the Voile skins, and really, I don't think I want those. I was thinking of getting some super wide skins, and trimming them to the profile of my "skis in split mode" for better traction. I do find that at times the exposed edges tend to slip in certain conditions. I am trying to eliminate this problem, and the Vole skins do not help since they still have the exposed edges too.

So, I guess what I am getting at is has anyone used skins from this guy before?

Climbing skins direct

I was considering just getting the widest (145mm) and perhaps try to cobble the old Burton tip hook onto the skins at the tip, and just use the Burton stretcher at the rear. But, my split is 152mm at the widest, so I would still have some exposed edge. Is there anyone out there making skins wider than 145mm?

I seem to recall someone around here did something like this in the past with a Burton board, and some aftermarket skins, but the search function does not seem like it's pulling it up. (or I am using it wrong, most likely)

Post subject: Re: I need new climbing skins...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:47 pm 

I had a bad experience with my skins today, I think it's mainly due to the glue being worn out but probably doesn't help the the previous owner didn't cut them straight so I always have a bit sticking out from one side or the other. They're purple, not sure if they're the voile splitboard skins or not? All the other ones I've seen are orange. My GF has the orange variety, the go on nice and straight and she didn't have any problems on the same tour. Let me know what you go with, I may be looking to upgrade as well since mine are so crooked. Found this post on DIY tail clips too: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7554

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:42 am 

sledsurfer,
Voile has always sourced their skin material from Black Diamond. The orange ones are newer (last 4 years or so?) but the purple ones were the BD material before that. So, you probably do have Voile skins, just an older vintage. You can always trim them down a bit more if it helps keep snow from getting under them.

Otto, I'm not sure what you will gain by taking your skin coverage from 90% of board surface to 95% of board surface... If the problem is side-hilling, I don't think the issue is coverage, but it could be the directionality of the "hairs" on the skin. Crampons might be a much bigger help than more coverage from your skins... I've never been in a situation where my split didn't grip at least as well as my buddies skis, which had wall-to-wall coverage the length of the skins. I HAVE has problems with my board being wider, and therefore taking more effort to keep level on steep sidehills.

HTH,
Shep

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:47 am 

Did some extra trimming last night, gonna slap on some new glue and give them a second chance!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:38 am 

I just picked up a pair of 145's from climbing skins direct, they appear to be of high quality, and their twin-tip stretcher kit appears that it would work well on a split. You'd just have to off-set the trimmed tip and tail angles so that the tip and tail loops would hook over the end of the board. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:14 am 

Otto wrote:
I seem to recall someone around here did something like this in the past with a Burton board, and some aftermarket skins, but the search function does not seem like it's pulling it up. (or I am using it wrong, most likely)

Maybe you're talking about this post? I rigged up BD Glidelite skins with the STS attachment to replace my old Burton skins. The difference was like night and day. Those old Burton skins just SUCK in comparison. I used the 130 mm skins, and I have plenty of coverage on my old Burton 165, and newer 162.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:14 pm 

I use twin tip skins from ClimbingSkinsDirect.com on my skis and have been really happy with them. when I need new skins for the split I will get these in 145 with the tail rings and rubber tip stretchers. Tip and Tail skins could be made to work if you notch your board like JimW's post above, and the Simple Skins idea looks like it would work for a split as well. I am pretty sure the guys at CSD made the purple voile skins when they worked at Black Diamond, so they are high quality.

I have heard you can stitch skin material together with needle and tread, so you could get the 145s and sew the trimmings on to make them wider. I personally havent had an issue on traverses. I try to roll my ankles so the full skin is on the snow, rather than trying to hold an edge. if the skin track is too icy, sometimes its best to just make a new track in that section, or bust the crampons.