Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Backpack ideas?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:07 pm 

I am looking for a new pack as my bca Stash has been slowly falling apart. The pack I have tried out has been my brothers BD anarchist, which felt nicer than my stash. I have also been looking at this pack http://www.coldcoldworldpacks.com/chaos.htm or this one http://www.coldcoldworldpacks.com/chernobyl.htm as well. Does anyone have any experience w/ CCW packs? Besides snowboard carry and maybe more compression straps, does anyone have any suggestions as far as improvements to the pack (there is something on the site about how they can add many straps/etc for free/small cost since they are such a small company). Thanks for the help.

Chaos is 70l, Chernobyl is 50l, leaning towards the Chernobyl after figuring that out.

Post subject: Re: Backpack ideas?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:54 pm 

this thread has been getting lots of action lately.

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7291

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:14 am 

Thanks I had just read it before I posted :disco:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:02 am 

Have you considered Cilogear packs? I personally haven't used one but they have a great reputation and do offer a snowboard carry attachment.

As for CCW packs I haven't used one, nor have any of my partners. But have heard good things about them on cascadeclimbers.com.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:08 pm 

I own a CCW Chernobyl pack. It's an OK pack, and I mostly use it for overnight winter trips. Mine is about 7-8 years old, and the one they sell now is a bit different. (mine has tool tubes, where as the new one has a different system for attaching tools.)

The one thing about my pack is that the ski straps are a little narrow for fitting my split in the split mode. But the compression straps work fine for this. There is no frame sheet or stays in this pack. The only type of frame is the bivy pad that comes with the pack. Also My pack has no pocket for a hydration bladder nor does it have any opening for a hose.
My pack carries a load comfortably, and I have never had any issues with durability. But this is not my main pack, since most of my jaunts are single day, or hut trips.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:11 am 

Thanks for the ideas. I e-mailed CCW and talked to the guy, he said he could make the ski slots a little bigger to fit the split in A-frame, and he would be willing to add snowboard carry straps like so:

Is the reason you use your CCW pack for overnighters and not daytrips mainly b/c of it's size? How does the carry mode work w/o a frame? What do you use as your day-trip pack.