Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crampons
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:41 pm 

Im new to splitboarding and just got a Burton 162 S-Series and I was wondering if I HAVE to get crampons. When I have been snowshoes with friends skinning on skis they do not have crampons. Do you think crampons are a necessity? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Crampons
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:07 pm 

On firm snow, and especially ice- can be crucial. If its all fresh and deep, not too much need.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:15 am 

Agreed. Just remember, your skiing friends ha a lot more sideways rigidity to dig in those edges then us splitboarders (at least as long as you're using regular snowboard boots). Up here in the land of ice and wind I never split without crampons at least in my backpack.

The feeling of slipping when traversing steep stuff and it's a loong way down is, um, not for me....

Regards,
Trond

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:40 pm 

Me and two two-plank buddies got turned back from a summit in the sierras last year due to a lack of ski crampons. Not a necessity, but a very, very, very nice to have in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:36 pm 

Worth having, if for no other reason than peace of mind in sketchy spots. They can also save you lots of energy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:52 pm 

Are you referring to ski crampons or boot crampons?

You do not need ski crampons, though some people really like them for firm snow when it is too steep to skin without them. But they only work up to a point. I don't tend to carry them unless I know it is just the right conditions and they will benefit me more than the added weight and bulk.

You will need boot crampons if you want to ascend steeper firm or wind blasted snow (an ice axe or whippet as well).

If it is powder and protected or mellow terrain, I do not carry either. During corn season (very firm snow ascents), I always end up using boot crampons and an ice axe.

As has been mentioned, skinning on a splitboard will be more difficult than on skis. Especially on firmer snow and traverses. It will be very hard to keep up with a good skinning skier at times. This is due largely to the width of the split ski and that the boot / binding set up on the split tends to have a lower lateral stiffness compared to an AT ski (it will twist off a bit and you can lose your edge much more easily).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:10 am 

I just used my crampons yesterday for the very first time.
I got them last year and I never needed them but I was so glad I have them yesterday... it made traversing in an icey
slope a breeze
love them :headbang:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:12 pm 

Yes they are great for spring touring on the firm snowpack before the snow starts to soften from the sun. Also, as others have said, they are great for icy spots and hardpacked traverses.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:29 am 

Agreed, crampons are well worth it, when necessary. But you don't want to wait until you need them to buy them, buy them, and throw them in the pack.

Not to hijack, but does anyone else have a hard time not scraping their board when hiking with the crampons, I added a couple of nice gouges from my last hike with them, for some reason can't keep from accidentally hitting the top of my skis (in hike mode) with them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:40 pm 

True cliche: Better safe than sorry. Especially since on the slope, you're going to end up really sorry if conditions turn out too slick.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:13 pm 

chuckles wrote:
Agreed, crampons are well worth it, when necessary. But you don't want to wait until you need them to buy them, buy them, and throw them in the pack.

Not to hijack, but does anyone else have a hard time not scraping their board when hiking with the crampons, I added a couple of nice gouges from my last hike with them, for some reason can't keep from accidentally hitting the top of my skis (in hike mode) with them.

There's arguments for and against ski crampons..it's a personal preference thing. You most definitely MUST buy some boot crampons if you plan on ascending anything serious in the springtime, but there's many tours when I bring both types. There's also tours when I brought ski crampons and felt it was a waste, and times when I didn't but felt they'd be invaluable. Seriously though...whats the worst thing that can happen? You'd carry an extra 14 Ozs on a big climb. In the end it only made you stronger ;-). I know this...if ski crampons save me so much as 1k' with the board on my back...then they were totally worth it.