Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Glove shopping
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:09 am 

I'm trying to do the sensible thing here and not wait until the start of the season to buy new gloves (when they're full price, not 50% off).

Does anyone have any recommendations for all round under-the-cuff gloves? Kinda hard deciding online when i can't see em in the flesh.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Glove shopping
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:21 pm 

black diamonds work for me.... :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:17 pm 

Seconded on the black diamonds, I had BD Ice gloves, and they worked great. Pricey though. Especially since I ruin about a pair per season. The good (and somewhat surprising) news is that BD replaced them for free, it was a stitch failure on one of the fingers so even though I thought it was just normal wear they thought it was warranty-able.

Last season I went through a pair of OR gloves which were much cheaper ($30 on sale?) and though they did get wet in slush, they were great for everything else. They were also very comfy, but not as nice as the BD gloves.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:17 pm 

I like any of the work gloves by OutdoorResearch (I actually like any of their products and I do have lots of their stuff). The Vert gloves are great for skinning, they're breathable and grippy. But I do swap out to a pair of light Snowline mittens for the way down. Those OR Snowline Mittens are the best things I've ever had on my hands in the rain. They keep your hands super dry and warm.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:22 pm 

dakine cobra glove. love mine so far. probably on sale at a few online shops at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:04 pm 

awesome thanks for the replies guys,

i was actually leaning towards the Black Diamond Spy's (add a liner on the super chilly days) so i think i'll go with them. My brother has always sworn by the OR's but i've never seen him in the work gloves. they look pretty decent also.

punky i'm already sporting a $22 pair of dakines for the skin up. now i just need some snow... :bow:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:15 pm 

Has anyone tried these Loki mitts?http://www.onlygloves.com/winter-gloves/womens/loki3wayaccessmit.cfm they seem like they would work well for splittin. I've heard great things about this company. Just wondering if anyone has tried them. For the price I just might have to give them a shot.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:51 am 

I used to rock a pair of old ass OR Mt. Baker mitts that had a tough rubberized palm. Wore those out. Now I have a pair of REI "Taped Mitts". Again Rubber type palm quite breathable and dries really quick if being used in spring slush. They are wearing out relatively quickly though too.

So I too am considering a pair of leather gloves to take the abuse a bit better. I was looking at some of the Black Diamonds but they have so many choices it's pretty dizzying but that's excellent they have such a selection. In the end gotta narrow it down and then try them on.

Anyone else have any suggestions but moderately warm (Ride in the Sierra so teens at most elevations) gloves that work well on the descent and around camp?