Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: avy airbag for strictly trauma use?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:42 pm 

anyone know if the airbag can be used outside of avalanches, for protecting the head, neck, and upper body, perhaps in the case of falls over exposed terrain?

Post subject: Re: avy airbag for strictly trauma use?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:32 am 

i'll state my credentials for this reasoning: high school physics class

air is lighter than the human body. therefore, if you take a fall off a large cliff, for example, and deploy your avi airbag, the avy airbag will be subject to air resistance far greater than your body, and will simply be above you as you fall and receive trauma.

now, if you simultaneously had a time-slower-downer, you could use that to allow you to position your backpack with the airbag beneath you, and then shortly before impact set it off, thus cushioning your fall.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:39 pm 

I would say that the ABS pack probably wouldn't help. The Starpulse however forms a exageratted C-collart around your head so I think it work well in minimizing head and neck trauma-high school smart ass comments aside :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:14 am 

BCA's new avy pack is claiming to have some trauma protection capabilities. I won't be getting one only because of this, but it sure sounds nice! Also nice to be able to see and ride confidently with it deployed!! This pack is sweet, think i will be riding with one this year for sure!
Check it out here- http://backcountryaccess.com/english/pr ... ngSoon.php
Description-
"The Float 30 is the first avalanche airbag that is both affordable and easily reuseable. We use a smaller cylinder, single–chamber 150–liter airbag, and super–efficient venturi system to reduce cost and weight. The airbag itself not only helps prevent burial, but protects the head, neck and upper body from trauma. With its location behind the head and away from the hips and arms, it preserves the user’s peripheral vision and his or her ability to escape the avalanche before it picks up speed."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:55 am 

neilprovo wrote:
BCA's new avy pack is claiming to have some trauma protection capabilities. I won't be getting one only because of this, but it sure sounds nice! Also nice to be able to see and ride confidently with it deployed!! This pack is sweet, think i will be riding with one this year for sure!
Check it out here- http://backcountryaccess.com/english/pr ... ngSoon.php
Description-
"The Float 30 is the first avalanche airbag that is both affordable and easily reuseable. We use a smaller cylinder, single–chamber 150–liter airbag, and super–efficient venturi system to reduce cost and weight. The airbag itself not only helps prevent burial, but protects the head, neck and upper body from trauma. With its location behind the head and away from the hips and arms, it preserves the user’s peripheral vision and his or her ability to escape the avalanche before it picks up speed."

The pack seems cool except that there doesn't appear to be a snowboard carrying system.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:07 am 

Thats the only downfall forsure. I had to mod some straps onto my Avalung pack which worked out nicely after learning how to sew! (Great skill to have!) Going to add some board straps to this pack if i end up getting one...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:45 pm 

I'm a big fan of modifying packs by adding or cutting straps, but I'd be a little extra cautious about adding straps to any airbag pack. The BCA design actually makes it sorta possible to add snowboard carrying straps, but you would have to keep them pretty low to stay out of the airbags way.

It is cool to see the cost come down a but on these type of packs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:41 am 

Quote:
I'm a big fan of modifying packs by adding or cutting straps

I'm just the opposite, I want what I buy to be damn near perfect. Without snowboard straps me no buyie. It would be interesting to see what BCA would say about the bag's effectiveness with skis or a snowboard attached. Prolly not a big deal but they definitely would make the bag blow up a little different. Maybe there's so much force when they release it'll push them away?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:15 am 

dishwasher-dave wrote:

I'm a big fan of modifying packs by adding or cutting straps, but I'd be a little extra cautious about adding straps to any airbag pack. The BCA design actually makes it sorta possible to add snowboard carrying straps, but you would have to keep them pretty low to stay out of the airbags way.

For sure, if i were to add straps i'd put them no higher then the existing ski straps, as well as one near the bottom of the pack...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:37 pm 

perhaps I'm being a bit of a bonehead, but could you just carry you board in ski mode?