Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what do you use for 'poons?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:58 pm 

I've been using bd contact strap poons for the last couple years with moderate success (they occasionally come loose)...i'm getting new crampons for the spring, and was wondering what other people use. And a quick note, these are crampons just for normal soft snowboarding boots. I was thinking that Peztl Irvis (flexlock version, as 32 boots has yet to put welts on their boots) looked like they might work better than bd's contact strap...it looks like the caging comes up higher which would be good for getting a good fit on a snowboard boot...has anyone tried these crampons out??? if you have any ideas let me know

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: what do you use for 'poons?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:54 pm 

i use grivel airtechs for most snowboard related stuff.. no need to say much about them, it's all in the forum archives, but before I settled on them I had fit problems in the store with the CAMP XLC 490 which is a similar design, specifically with the front plastic fitting well over the toes and letting the straps sit snugly on the boot (sounds similar to what you had described).

Update: I also used petzl vasak crampons, and they fit just as well. I think the strap system for all petzls is the same. It's a little more annoying to fold than the grivels but outside the crampon bag it works very similarly. I later realized I only very rarely use the crampons on rock in the snowboard boots i bought the half weight grivels.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:00 pm 

I use the Stubai aluminum ultralights - they are a bit of a tight fit over my Malmutes, but do generally fine (I did notice some wear after doing a longer boot up). I have used them on my hardboots too (Lowa Struktura).

Light and relatively inexpensive - $75 here:

http://store.everestgear.com/421100.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:01 pm 

For soft snowboard boots...Grivel G10 wide

available here

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:35 pm 

I use the aluminum Camp XLC 490s for most stuff, I do not like ten point crampons, and the Camps are 12 point. I did bend the posts on them a little to fit my Driver Xs-gotta be really careful bending the aluminum, as it will stress it and weaken it.
For conditions that might require a steel crampon (hard ice, or rock moves) I really like the Petzl Vasak, this is still pretty light for a 12 point steel crampon, and will climb anything with security.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:07 pm 

I just picked ordered a pair of the Stubai Ultralights off everestgear (linked above) for an additional 20% using a code found on the page there... Seems to be free shipping too with the default ground shipping.. So, $59 or so shipped for me in Cali... Not bad!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:34 pm 

I've carry those Stubai aluminum ones in the spring sometimes and they work well on my hardboots but never tried on soft boots. I think they'd work well though.

Aluminum crampons are really nice and light and great for skiing/boarding, just be aware they are surprisingly useless on hard water ice. I have seen it where steel crampons made something trivial but my friend was sh*tting bricks because his aluminum poons weren't even scratching the ice.

The nice thing about aluminum is they are light enought to carry even if you don't expect to use them, but will get you through a pinch if you do end up wanting them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:11 pm 

That toe bail on the Grivel posted above looks suspiciously similar to the BD strap crampons... and I would say the BD strap ones are, shall we say, less than ideal for softboots that have a wide toe, which is pretty much all soft boots. It just doesn't fit around the toe securely enough. I (and others) have slipped out of those on more than one occasion, which is the last thing you want to have happen when you're in a spot where you actually need crampons. The other problem with the BD ones is that they have a narrow footprint. Old BD contacts used to have an adjustable width in the front which addressed this problem, but no more.

Anyway I'm just going off the picture of the Grivel... could be that the toe bail is larger so it's a non-issue. And obviously if it comes in a "wide" version that solves the other problem.

Lately I've been using the Stubai's. They have a bit wider front area than the BD's, and the toe strap is a better fit on soft boots.

One issue I have with all the strap systems is that the strap is basically pulling the top of the toe back toward the body of the boot, kind of "folding" it. My boots have actually gotten semi-permanent creases in them from this. I think it would be cool if there were some kind of "side" strap. Hmm... wonder if just wapping a Voile strap around the wide part of the boot and crampon would address this - might also fix the BD sliding out issue.

What about some plate crampons mounted with Voile pucks that you could just slide into your Sparks? Hmm...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:40 pm 

I've used the Grivel Air Tech lights mostly, and they seem to fit all my softboots. Just got a pair of Grivel G12's and haven't had a chance to try them out, but they seem to have a similar fit to the Air Techs. I got these mostly so I can walk on rock and not have to take the aluminums off.

I haven't had issue with the Grivels popping off, but don't really use them for long periods of time or in really nasty dicey conditions. I pull the straps really tight, and periodically check on them as well.

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:16 pm 

jimw wrote:
Anyway I'm just going off the picture of the Grivel... could be that the toe bail is larger so it's a non-issue. And obviously if it comes in a "wide" version that solves the other problem.

I think the pic is the standard G10. The G10 wide are a 1/2 inch wider at the toe bail than my G12s, and the widest portion of the toe strap is more than 3/4 of a inch wider.

While they do provide a larger footprint area, they still don't address the issue of getting the spikes to the edge of a boot's footprint. This is one of the main reasons I opt for mountaineering boots if I am planning for crampons on ascent.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:21 pm 

Quote:
While they do provide a larger footprint area, they still don't address the issue of getting the spikes to the edge of a boot's footprint. This is one of the main reasons I opt for mountaineering boots if I am planning for crampons on ascent.

Well said - This is why I don't use my soft boots in really dicey situations.

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:41 pm 

stoudema wrote:
Quote:

Well said - This is why I don't use my soft boots in really dicey situations.

Yup, that's exactly why I switched my set up to hard boots (Scarpa Denali). Better tread, fits my step in Sabertooth's and generally are much stiffer for front pointing. Downside is that they do not french well, or well, at all. They are ski boots. If I leave the walk function open (not locked) they behave almost like my soft boots do on the decent. :thumpsup: