Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Camra what should I get
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:46 am 

I am looking to get a new camra and I am not sher what to get. so what do you peeps use and do you like it? any good deals? Is there a must have function. What do you all think i should get.

Thanx for the help
BH 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:04 am 

I've done alright with my HP M407. It's a 4 mega pixel camera and takes pretty good shots. Here is an image from last weekend. I didn't really fiddle with the light settings, and it seems to do pretty well with the auto function.
Of course it is digital so the shutter is a little slow, but you get used to it, and of course just take lots of shots and delete the ones you don't like. The camera is $177 at wal-mart. A good price for 4 mega pixels and it does a decent job on 30 second Mpeg videos. It takes SD cards, which you can get a 256-512 mb card between $30-$60 if you shope around. I have the 256 which gives me close to 200 pics on best quality. Drawbacks are that it's not super small (but small enough for you breast pocket), but then again you're not spending a fortune on it either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:44 am 

what are ya doin shopping at walmart? do you want your kids to have nothing but crap to choose from?
don't support walmart. they're killing the american way.
stop thinking short term for a second and think long term.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:17 am 

dave wrote:
what are ya doin shopping at walmart? do you want your kids to have nothing but crap to choose from?
don't support walmart. they're killing the american way.
stop thinking short term for a second and think long term.

What kids?

I actually didn't buy the camera from Walmart I got it from Radio Shack, but there are just some generic supplies that I would rather pay as little as possible for. That is when I noticed the price on the camera as I perused the electronics section. I'm the camera is sub $200 at other places too.

Thank you for the lecture... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:52 am 

i use a canon powershot s410 - about the size of a bar of soap. you should buy this at an overpriced small boutique and preserve America :wink:

i'm a computer weenie and use this because it's a compact-flash based (not SD or MemoryStick). CompactFlash has much higher capacity and is much cheaper than any other format (you can get a 512MB for $19, whereas SD is $42 and MemoryStick is $54). of course from your local boutque you're not gonna see prices like this, but at http://www.computers.com you can find deals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:34 pm 

Thanx for the help. If anyone has a camra that they do not like I would like to here what not to get.

I will try not to shop a Wallmart Dave. :lol:

psychomac- thanx for the info on the memorysticks. That helps me out a bunch.

Lets here more from all the peeps then I will get one.

Nice pic killclimbz :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:08 pm 

I really like my Pentax optio 33wr because it is virtually water-proof. They have now upgraded this to the 43wr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:04 pm 

If you are thinking at all about using your digital camera for taking video, get a canon powershot SD 400. You won't be disappointed. A little pricey, but a killer camera. Tiny, too. Can take higher resolution video than some miniDV cameras. Only drawback is no zoom while taking video (oh well).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:05 pm 

I was just going to recommend the SD300. Looks like they already have new models (SD400, SD500). Ah, the relentless march of technology. Anyway, I have been totally happy with the SD300. It is so small, it is easy to take it anywhere and just slip it in a pocket. Consequently, I end up taking more pictures than if it was a pain to get out of the pack each time. It takes great photos for being so small. The movie mode is excellent - full 30 fps at 640x480, only limit to length of clips is the size of the mem card. It also has a *60 fps* mode at 320x240, which is useful for taking movies of action sequences to analyze later. It also has a burst mode, though it's not as fast as some other cameras there (like the Minoltas I think). It's got a nice large screen. I had the S500 and returned it because I tried a friend's SD300 and just liked it way better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:41 pm 

split wrote:
I really like my Pentax optio 33wr because it is virtually water-proof. They have now upgraded this to the 43wr.

I can vouch for the quality of pictures that camera takes and it is freaking small. About half the size of my camera which isn't big either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:51 pm 

Waterproof (more sweatproof) seems like a good requirement. Zip-lock is my friend here.

The Powershot SD400/500 is the SecureDigital card camera - these are both available in Compact Flash format (S410, S500), which is cheaper and higher capacity - especially if you're taking movies memory size is important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:42 am 

psychomac wrote:
Waterproof (more sweatproof) seems like a good requirement. Zip-lock is my friend here.

The Powershot SD400/500 is the SecureDigital card camera - these are both available in Compact Flash format (S410, S500), which is cheaper and higher capacity - especially if you're taking movies memory size is important.
the canon s-series, while cheaper than the sd series, takes crappy video (10fps @ 640x480), and is limited to 30sec clips. Like jimw said, the sd-series cameras take unlimited (just by card size) length video, 30fps @ 640x480. Definitely worth the extra investment to get the sd-400 or similar. It is thinner than the s-410 and has a larger lcd screen (2in vs. 1.5in). The sd-400 is around $300-350, while the s-410 is closer to $200. Don't be wishing you had a better camera to save 100 bucks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:42 pm 

Yeah, the SD is a totally different camera from the S series. It has different menu options etc. It uses a different processing chip, and is general much faster than the S series. For example, it opens and is ready to take a picture faster. Important for getting those "capture the moment" shots.