Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: stove
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:26 pm 

Hey what kind of stoves do you guys have for overnight trips? I have a MSR WhisperLite International but I'd like something more compact yet powerful enough for snow camping. Any suggestion? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: stove
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:05 pm 

2-3 day trips I usually opt for a Jetboil. Anything longer and I consider Whisperlite or XGK depending on how many people are going (and how much snow must be melted). Caveat being that for most winter/early spring trips my food is generally limited to items only requiring boiling water.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:14 pm 

Ditto to what 96avs01 said. If its just an overnighter and especially if you only need to boil water and not "cook" food I take my jetboil. Its also great for day trips, if you don't mind the extra weight, if you want something warm.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:24 pm 

jet boil for most trips, whisperlite for the rest.

Jet boil is way faster if all you need is hot water.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:20 pm 

If you're just boiling H2O (not melting snow) then I would recommend Snow Peak's Litemax stove. It's the lightest canister stove in the world weighing in at a scant 1.9oz and is 11,200btu's which translates to roughly a 4 minute boil time / 1 liter on a fresh fuel canister. If you pair the Litemax up with Snow Peak's Trek 700 or 900 titanium pot, you'll have a set-up that's equally compact, lighter weight, more efficient and more versatile than a JetBoil. If you want more fuel efficiency, but still keeping it light and compact, then swap the Litemax for SP's Giga Power stove combined with its windscreen/reflector. This will give you a set-up that's lends to even quicker boil times.

If you want the maximum fuel efficiency of ANY canister stove, then I would recommend Snow Peak's LI Pack stove. It uses inverted fuel technology to burn the liquid vs. the vapor in a canister fuel cartridge. The benefit is you maintain a higher btu output over the entire life of the fuel cartridge which translates to better fuel efficiency. SP's LI Pack stove is the lightest and most compact in its class, coming in at 10oz and fitting into SP's smallest pot... the Trek 700. Its 10,000btu output translates to roughly 5 minute boil times, but the benifit is when the fuel canister is nearly empty, you're still getting 6-8 minute boil times vs. 10+ minutes with a regular vapor buring stove.

Good luck on your purchase! :thumpsup:

(Note: I'm a representative for Snow Peak)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:09 pm 

i carry a whisperlite, my gf has an older model of the gourmet. mine is quiet, hers is much louder. sounds like a jet engine at camp. sometimes feel bad for waking up others for the early AM coffee. anyway, both work great.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:18 pm 

waking up to the sound of an F-14 taking off is actually something i really like.

it means somebody other than me is freezing their ass off outside the sleeping bag and i will get hot water soon =)

I guess this means I am peoples' camp bitch too often...